The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medicine 2017 Entry

hey guys, so was looking around and I can't seem to find a discussion for Aberdeen 2017 entry so thought I'd make one, may be good for around interview time and stuff:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looking to apply to Aberdeen as well. I am a graduate though :smile:
Reply 2
Gonna apply to Aberdeen! The course seems to be really good.
Does anyone know how Aberdeen uses personal statements?
Reply 4
Hey guys I'm currently a student on the Medicine course at Aberdeen, just ask me if you need any info or tips
Reply 5
Original post by hopeforunderdog
Does anyone know how Aberdeen uses personal statements?

Aberdeen use your personal statement during the interview as well as after your interview to determine between candidates who scored closely - it isn't looked at before you come to interview, the only thing scored pre-interview is academics and ukcat, good luck :smile:
Original post by hollyt93
Aberdeen use your personal statement during the interview as well as after your interview to determine between candidates who scored closely - it isn't looked at before you come to interview, the only thing scored pre-interview is academics and ukcat, good luck :smile:

Thank you!
Good luck to all you future applicants! Another Aberdeen student here, feel free to fire any questions my way.
Hello! Aberdeen is currently my top choice! I have 5A's at Higher, and Predicted A's in ADVH Maths, Chem, Bio.
VR - 670
QR - 750
AR - 680
Band 1 SJT

My biggest fear is despite relevant, good work experience (2 weeks) that I can talk about quite happily, I lack much (or any!) extracurricular shenanigans. How "perfect" would you say my personal statement needs to be to survive an interview at Aberdeen, and what sort of volume of extracurricular/volunteering stuff did yours mention?

And considering my situation, what would be the Scottish medschool you think I'd be least likely to get into?
Does Aberdeen use MMI or traditional interview method?
Does Aberdeen use MMI or traditional interview method?

MMI
Original post by GluteusBurger
Hello! Aberdeen is currently my top choice! I have 5A's at Higher, and Predicted A's in ADVH Maths, Chem, Bio.
VR - 670
QR - 750
AR - 680
Band 1 SJT

My biggest fear is despite relevant, good work experience (2 weeks) that I can talk about quite happily, I lack much (or any!) extracurricular shenanigans. How "perfect" would you say my personal statement needs to be to survive an interview at Aberdeen, and what sort of volume of extracurricular/volunteering stuff did yours mention?
* And considering my situation, what would be the Scottish medschool you think I'd be least likely to get into?

Remember its quality not quantity. They want to hear what you have gained/learned from/how you can apply skills learned to medicine. Reciting a list of how you've had 50 placements in your local hospital isn't going to score extra points.

From what I remember when I applied, Edinburgh was very heavy on extracurriculars/work experience etc so they might be a bit risky if you truly don't have much (presumably since they don't interview so just have to go on personal statement. but again its important not to just list things)*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Any idea if 5A* 2A 1B and 2C at gcse would be good enough for aberdeen with A*AA predictions and AAAB at AS?
(edited 7 years ago)
Deffo applying to my hometown.

Unfortunately it receives a crap ton of applications :frown: That's not gonna favour a bombed ukcat score like mine!

Good luck to all though :smile:
Original post by atomos
Good luck to all you future applicants! Another Aberdeen student here, feel free to fire any questions my way.

Hey there, I live in Aberdeen so deffo applying. Unfortunately bombed my UKCAT with 617 band 2. How are my chances looking for interview? At interview is it you perform well and you're in or do scores still apply afterwards?

Thanks and congrats on getting in! You must have been a worthy and amazing candidate! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by 12Russ
Any idea if 5A* 2A 1B and 2C at gcse would be good enough for aberdeen with A*AA predictions and AAAB at AS?

Aberdeen use predicted/achieved A2s (60%) and UKCAT (40%) for pre-interview ranking. This score then counts towards 50% of the post-interview score when deciding who they are going to offer places to, with the other 50% being score at interview (unless they have changed it in the last couple of years)
My stats are these

5th year Highers: AAAAB
6th year: AB at advanced higher and B at crashed higher (I'm a gap year applicant)

UKCAT: 713, band 1

What are my chances of interview ? I'm aware my grades aren't the best:frown:
Original post by .......Jeff458
Hey there, I live in Aberdeen so deffo applying. Unfortunately bombed my UKCAT with 617 band 2. How are my chances looking for interview? At interview is it you perform well and you're in or do scores still apply afterwards?

Thanks and congrats on getting in! You must have been a worthy and amazing candidate! :smile:

Hey, theres no knowing for sure but if everything else in your application is good then you could still have a chance.

From the website: Applicants to Aberdeen offer a broad range of UKCAT scores. For 2016 entry: Interview: the lowest total score for an applicant invited to interview was 2180 and the highest 3350. Offers made: the lowest total score for successful applicants who were made offers was 2480 and the highest 3350.]

And thanks haha, it was a whole 5 years ago now though!*
My stats are these

5th year Highers: AAAAB
6th year: AB at advanced higher and B at crashed higher (I'm a gap year applicant)

UKCAT: 713, band 1

What are my chances of interview ? I'm aware my grades aren't the best:frown:

Your grades are pretty similar to what mines were, and your ukcat is infinitely better so I'd say you stand a good chance!

I was also a gap year applicant.
Original post by atomos

Hey, theres no knowing for sure but if everything else in your application is good then you could still have a chance.

From the website: Applicants to Aberdeen offer a broad range of UKCAT scores. For 2016 entry: Interview: the lowest total score for an applicant invited to interview was 2180 and the highest 3350. Offers made: the lowest total score for successful applicants who were made offers was 2480 and the highest 3350.]

And thanks haha, it was a whole 5 years ago now though!*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I AM 3 GOD DAMN POINTS BELOW THE AVERAGE CUT-OFF FOR LAST YEAR! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well there goes my career plans especially as I cba taking a year out and Aberdeen said cut-offs(scores) will increase this year

Quick Reply

Latest