The Student Room Group

Social Work Masters 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by dcb12
I also got through to second stage for stirling and haven't heard back! Still no reply from Edinburgh either!

Hi, glad to hear you are in the same position! Hopefully hear soon
hi i'm alice, Ive seen some of you have got into birmingham and ljmu for the masters in september. I'm originally from york and can't decide which to go to. Got offers for both and i think i'd rather go to ljmu however I'm worried about graduate prospects. Birmingham has a much better reputation and I'm wondering whether going to ljmu will affect my job prospects. Do you think its that significant or do any of you have opinions on ljmu placements/job prospects?!

thank you! :smile:
Original post by alicemhr
hi i'm alice, Ive seen some of you have got into birmingham and ljmu for the masters in september. I'm originally from york and can't decide which to go to. Got offers for both and i think i'd rather go to ljmu however I'm worried about graduate prospects. Birmingham has a much better reputation and I'm wondering whether going to ljmu will affect my job prospects. Do you think its that significant or do any of you have opinions on ljmu placements/job prospects?!

thank you! :smile:

Hey alice! I would have thought that social work is kind of like nursing. Regardless of where you study, the skills you gain are going to be the same. I don't think it really matters where you study for this specific course as long as you graduate with a good classification, showcasing that you're fit to practice. I'll be going to Birmingham because it's close to home and because of its link and partnerships with the local authorities. I don't know much about Liverpool, but go for the option that is convenient for you
Original post by Inspiringyou
Hey alice! I would have thought that social work is kind of like nursing. Regardless of where you study, the skills you gain are going to be the same. I don't think it really matters where you study for this specific course as long as you graduate with a good classification, showcasing that you're fit to practice. I'll be going to Birmingham because it's close to home and because of its link and partnerships with the local authorities. I don't know much about Liverpool, but go for the option that is convenient for you

Yeah I definitely agree with you. However, I've read that its pretty important to get a statutory placement which I think is going to be more guaranteed at Birmingham. Theres probably not going to be all that much difference in convenience between the two and I'd hate to graduate and not get a job! Are you going to be living at home? Accommodation in Birmingham is looking really expensive! Not really sure whether to choose uni halls or a house!
Original post by alicemhr
Yeah I definitely agree with you. However, I've read that its pretty important to get a statutory placement which I think is going to be more guaranteed at Birmingham. Theres probably not going to be all that much difference in convenience between the two and I'd hate to graduate and not get a job! Are you going to be living at home? Accommodation in Birmingham is looking really expensive! Not really sure whether to choose uni halls or a house!

Yes you're right actually. During the interview process at Birmingham they mentioned we will have the chance to have both type of placements. I'll likely be living at home, uni hall are really expensive! It looks like I might see you next year then 😁😁
Yes you're right actually. During the interview process at Birmingham they mentioned we will have the chance to have both type of placements. I'll likely be living at home, uni hall are really expensive! It looks like I might see you next year then 😁😁

They also said that at liverpool though i just have a better feeling about bham haha. yeah i know im looking at the other options now but theres quite a bit sold out already! yess if i ever make a decision!

How was the interview process like at UoB. I've also applied for a MA at UoB. Waiting to hear back from them has been over 2 weeks. I've got a selection test at Wolves Uni. Any tips ?
Original post by Kinzar29
How was the interview process like at UoB. I've also applied for a MA at UoB. Waiting to hear back from them has been over 2 weeks. I've got a selection test at Wolves Uni. Any tips ?

Hey! Have you had your interview yet or have you recently only just applied? I would suggest you read into social work as a profession so you're ready for your interview. It's nothing too hard, just basic 'why do you want to be a social worker' etc etc. They also make you read a piece of text which they ask you questions on during the interview. This was probably the hardest part for me. Other than that.. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just make sure you know about the field☺️. What's your previous degree in?
Hey! Have you had your interview yet or have you recently only just applied? I would suggest you read into social work as a profession so you're ready for your interview. It's nothing too hard, just basic 'why do you want to be a social worker' etc etc. They also make you read a piece of text which they ask you questions on during the interview. This was probably the hardest part for me. Other than that.. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just make sure you know about the field☺️. What's your previous degree in?

I have applied to Wolves uni and UoB. I have got an test at Wolves Uni to do and if successful i have an interview in afternoon. Ideally i would like to get into UoB as i live in Birmingham and for better prospects. But still waiting on their reply. My first degree was in Childhood Studies.
I have applied to Wolves uni and UoB. I have got an test at Wolves Uni to do and if successful i have an interview in afternoon. Ideally i would like to get into UoB as i live in Birmingham and for better prospects. But still waiting on their reply. My first degree was in Childhood Studies.

Good luck with Wolves! In all honesty, I didn't realise applications for UoB were still open. I think it's worth you ringing up to find out if they still have spaces left. I'm aware they've already approved people for the course, as there's only a limited number of places it's worth finding out if it's full yet! If not.. Wolves is just as good. Social work is the type of profession that as long as you have the qualification and can prove that you'll make a competent social worker, you'll get a job - a bit like nursing
Good luck with Wolves! In all honesty, I didn't realise applications for UoB were still open. I think it's worth you ringing up to find out if they still have spaces left. I'm aware they've already approved people for the course, as there's only a limited number of places it's worth finding out if it's full yet! If not.. Wolves is just as good. Social work is the type of profession that as long as you have the qualification and can prove that you'll make a competent social worker, you'll get a job - a bit like nursing

Oh really 😬 ! Will definately contact them now. I've applied so late :frown:! How many spaces would u reckon they will have on a masters course?
I think it was about 35 spaces Hun. Keep positive though, they might still have places if they haven't found the right candidates xx
I think it was about 35 spaces Hun. Keep positive though, they might still have places if they haven't found the right candidates xx

Yeah they've got available spaces left so fingers crossed! Im dreading my interview though. Don't know what to expect 😬
Yeah they've got available spaces left so fingers crossed! Im dreading my interview though. Don't know what to expect 😬

Yaaaaay!!!! That's fantastic news!!!! Good luck darling. Hopefully will see you in September xx
Hey, I've applied late for the Msc in Social Work. I have been given a Skype interview for 2 weeks time I assume because I'm from Ireland. It's for RGU I've to get a reference from within social work/ social care work, fill out the 3 questions, criminal conviction forms and interview with the admissions tutor. It says the interview will include written exercises? Not sure how when it will be a Skype interview.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of questions you might have been asked? Any help would be greatly appreciated, in panic stations at the minute with exams I have next week which will be limiting my time to prep for this
Original post by Darragh2009
Hey, I've applied late for the Msc in Social Work. I have been given a Skype interview for 2 weeks time I assume because I'm from Ireland. It's for RGU I've to get a reference from within social work/ social care work, fill out the 3 questions, criminal conviction forms and interview with the admissions tutor. It says the interview will include written exercises? Not sure how when it will be a Skype interview.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of questions you might have been asked? Any help would be greatly appreciated, in panic stations at the minute with exams I have next week which will be limiting my time to prep for this

Hi Darragh2009,

I'd definitely prepare for the following:

- why do you want to be a social worker/what motivates you to become a social worker
- skills and experience question
- team work question
- a time you've had a difficult encounter with a young person or child
- how do you cope with stress
- how you prioritise/organise things

that's what I prepared for before I went for my interview at a different University.
hope this helps :smile:
Original post by gemmaAkaMe
Hi Darragh2009,

I'd definitely prepare for the following:

- why do you want to be a social worker/what motivates you to become a social worker
- skills and experience question
- team work question
- a time you've had a difficult encounter with a young person or child
- how do you cope with stress
- how you prioritise/organise things

that's what I prepared for before I went for my interview at a different University.
hope this helps :smile:

Thank you😀
Hi,

I've just completed an undergraduate degree in psychology and crime and was in two minds about whether or not i should not apply for a masters in social work. Any help and advice?
Also, when is the deadline to apply for 2017 courses??
Original post by Misssal2014
Hi,

I've just completed an undergraduate degree in psychology and crime and was in two minds about whether or not i should not apply for a masters in social work. Any help and advice?
Also, when is the deadline to apply for 2017 courses??

Your best bet is to call the uni directly to find out if they have spaces for clearing
Thinking of doing a SW Masters next September 2018, when would I need to apply by, and is it done through UCAS?

Regards,
KL

Quick Reply

Latest