The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I think an expansion of the cadet forces is an idea to be toyed with. Get the cadet forces set-up in schools. A good PT session before school starts would do wonders for our playstation generation.
I know i would approve of this for sure. The idea would be to send them in boot camp like the good ol' days.

Many argue that the attitude of this nation is becoming embarassing. E.G. Chavs beating up and killing grandmothers. I think that while this plan may cost a lot it WOULD benefit the country a lot in the long run.

For a start it would obviously teach us all mutual respect. What is more, a mate of my dad spent 2 years in the military and it taught him a lot more about morals and discipline than any amount of years in school. (also, he said everyone had the best 2 years of their lives in being together as a united entity) Furthermore, if it helps us to become less of a 'nanny state' in using vast amounts of money to support people like chavs who claim benefits with no intentions of getting jobs then i'm all for it.

BTW, don't be offended by my stereotyping of the chav, but my god do they deserve it.

Discuss, yes or no?

I think it's a great idea. Although I don't approve of compulsory national service for everyone unless it was necessary, as has been shown in the past it does not generally make for a particuarly happy nation. But definatley a favourable alternative to the waste of time that is ASBOS. I think it would benefit them immensely.

It would teach them self discipline, respect for authority, self respect, responsibility, leadership skills, teamwork skills, the value of hard work.

Perhaps just what our society is crying out for right now?
Reply 182
Time Tourist
I think it's a great idea. Although I don't approve of compulsory national service for everyone unless it was necessary, as has been shown in the past it does not generally make for a particuarly happy nation. But definatley a favourable alternative to the waste of time that is ASBOS. I think it would benefit them immensely.

It would teach them self discipline, respect for authority, self respect, responsibility, leadership skills, teamwork skills, the value of hard work.

Perhaps just what our society is crying out for right now?

I think it's a terrible idea. Most people can gradually learn all these things just by being members of civilized society and without having to spend 2 years square bashing. It doesn't seem right to me that every single 16 year old should have to serve in the military on account of the few "bad apples" who might arguably benefit from it.

And, it would also make the UK a laughing stock. Forced conscription has been abandoned by almost every first world civilized country - it's the sort of thing I expect to see in countries like Guatemala, not Great Britain.
I think it's a terrible idea. Most people can gradually learn all these things just by being members of civilized society and without having to spend 2 years square bashing. It doesn't seem right to me that every single 16 year old should have to serve in the military on account of the few "bad apples" who might arguably benefit from it.

And, it would also make the UK a laughing stock. Forced conscription has been abandoned by almost every first world civilized country - it's the sort of thing I expect to see in countries like Guatemala, not Great Britain.

Thats why I said not for everyone and that it should be used as an alternative to something like ASBOS. I did acknowledge that compulsory conscription does not make for a very happy nation.

Most people can gradually learn all these things just by being members of civilized society and without having to spend 2 years square bashing.

and the problem there is that many young people today in britain who are from poor social backgrounds don't, they just get caught up in hopeless cycles of decline, while the government treat them as patients, people who need to managed. So I propose instead of sticking a tag on their ankle and telling them to be home by 9 and giving them endless referrals, give them something to do, stick them in the army where they can learn, be constructive and be of use.
Reply 184
Time Tourist
and the problem there is that many young people today in britain who are from poor social backgrounds don't, they just get caught up in hopeless cycles of decline, while the government treat them as patients, people who need to managed. So I propose instead of sticking a tag on their ankle and telling them to be home by 9 and giving them endless referrals, give them something to do, stick them in the army where they can learn, be constructive and be of use.

It's not the army's job. The Army trains people who want to be professional soldiers and turns them into professional soldiers. The Army is not equipped to turn the "unwilling" into anything - it's not a borstal for bad kids.

It's not the Army's job to turn a youthful "underclass" into decent human beings and professional soldiers. Why should the Army take the nation's ****?
Reply 185
Listen in people, the Army is not some mob of stupid illiterates; it is a group of highly trained professionals many of whom have spent more hours training in their speciality than you have in your degree, so lets no talk about shovelling society’s excrement their way.

At the end of the day, the cold hard fact is the Army exists to kill our enemy, not to baby-sit naughty children.

/Thread
I think this is just symbolic of the fetishisation of the Armed Forces that goes on in this country. Military service is not some kind of panacea.
What a ridiculous idea. Not everyone has behavioural problems and bad attitude. Many 16 year old boys are academic and it's beneficial for everyone for them to continue in their studies. And whatever happened to equality? Why not 16 year old girls too?
I think it would be sexist just to put boys in this national service thing. but i think the 'chav' problem needs a solution. Maybe there should be schools for 'lower-performing students' (i.e. chavs) and they could have much stricter discipline, and then have schools for the better performing students so they could properly excel.
Red_Imp
I think an expansion of the cadet forces is an idea to be toyed with. Get the cadet forces set-up in schools. A good PT session before school starts would do wonders for our playstation generation.
Tbh I would much rather have done that than the ****** PE lessons full of chavs kicking balls about. There are much better ways to keep fit than playing an hours worth of a sport you're not interested in and are not good at, and army-directed PT is one of them.
Why should it be boys only?
Bagration
Tbh I would much rather have done that than the ****** PE lessons full of chavs kicking balls about. There are much better ways to keep fit than playing an hours worth of a sport you're not interested in and are not good at, and army-directed PT is one of them.

What if people are not interested in "army-directed PT."

I much prefer sports. And I kick balls about. Am I a chav?
fisherman
What if people are not interested in "army-directed PT."

I much prefer sports. And I kick balls about. Am I a chav?
ffff army-directed PT is much more effective. The point of physical training isn't to have fun, it's to be physically trained.
Reply 193
cpj1987
How can you be grateful for your education if you're complaining that teachers are useless?
I believe EVERYONE should disband their armed forces yeah, but that's not going to happen - so at least people should be given the choice whether or not to enlist.
Non-traditional subject might not earn millions for the country, but they're useful on another level, for the people. People need, and value, psychologists for example.
People don't choose those kinds of courses because they think it's the easy route, they choose them because they enjoy them, and because those courses will get them to where they want to be. Everyone's different - if we were all forced to learn Maths or to analyse books that are a few hundred years old, we'd live in a pretty boring, and similarly useless, place.

You believe everyone should disband their armed forces? Clearly you don't have the slightest grasp of politics. Armed forces are not just used to fight wars, you know.
No. A few months in training courses, but not national service. That would be taking away too much of their valuable time. Instead, it should be 2-3 months of military training alongside education. Discipline teenagers and teach them various skills, make them do community labour in teams, and train them in survival and improvisation. Then, give them the opportunity to join the territorial army cadets.

Alot of children need this anyway. It would do alot of good.
Liquidus Zeromus
No. A few months in training courses, but not national service. That would be taking away too much of their valuable time. Instead, it should be 2-3 months of military training alongside education. Discipline teenagers and teach them various skills, make them do community labour in teams, and train them in survival and improvisation. Then, give them the opportunity to join the territorial army cadets.

Alot of children need this anyway. It would do alot of good.

You don't even need an army that large unless you plan to stay in the middle east for much longer

Israel does need it to protect from the Palestinian dogs on its doorstep.
JewWithNation
You don't even need an army that large unless you plan to stay in the middle east for much longer

Israel does need it to protect from the Palestinian dogs on its doorstep.

Be nice. The Palestinians are just as human as you are. :wink:

Britain actually needs a military twice its current size. Better to have a strong army than a weak one. You never know what situations might come up, and gotta have good forces at all times.
Liquidus Zeromus
Be nice. The Palestinians are just as human as you are. :wink:

Britain actually needs a military twice its current size. Better to have a strong army than a weak one. You never know what situations might come up, and gotta have good forces at all times.

Evil corrupts the body until no humanity is left.
Define "evil".
I am now a mature student but i did one year serving in one the Army and it was the best thing ive ever done

Before i joined up i was getting into fights, going around kicking walls down and 'chavin it up' as people would say. i was even using drugs.

after i joined the army it was a real shocker but now im disciplined with my college work and working towards my engineering degree

The Army is the best way of sorting your head out. People complain about Polish people nicking our jobs but they are usually the ones who cant be assed to get an application form! Eastern Europeans in general do national service which is why they are disciplined and keen to work that they even travel abroad. (and why most of them have skinheads)

Thank you for listening to my opinion

Latest

Trending

Trending