The Student Room Group

can i do nursing?

im doing Law, religious studies, sociology a level, i didn't have the entry requirements todo Biology or maths which i would have loved todo, i'm just wondering if these a levels could lead me into paediatric nursing or would it be worthwhile doimg other ones? i'm interested in birmingham city university or potentially Wolverhampton.
Original post by HappyRose33
im doing Law, religious studies, sociology a level, i didn't have the entry requirements todo Biology or maths which i would have loved todo, i'm just wondering if these a levels could lead me into paediatric nursing or would it be worthwhile doimg other ones? i'm interested in birmingham city university or potentially Wolverhampton.

Ask BCU and Wolverhampton what they would expect from someone in your situation. They might recommend that you take an access course after your A levels to bump up your biology basics but if that's the case they'll be able to recommend an access course offered locally that they find to be good preparation.
Original post by HappyRose33

What are your entry requirements
I chose bio chem along with two more a levels which would actually lead to a different path altogether. A few years ago I would've loved the thought of doing medicine and becoming a nurse of not doctor (really don't think I'm up for the competition to be a doctor whatsoever)
But now even though I've chosen to subjects that are needed for it I chose bio despite getting a c and whenever someone asks me what I wanna be I always say a lawyer which as I'm quiet is really something that wouldn't be for me- the thing that attracts me to it is helping people but feel if be more happy helping patients like I've seen over years doctors and nurses helping me when I used to be recovering from my surgeries
I don't think I'm clever at all and I feel like one of my bio teachers gives me a very pitying look- for those subjects (more so biology than chem as I do enjoy chemistry) I think my predicted grade would be quite low
What do they base initial predicted grades cos I got very mixed GCSE grades too 2a*s 3As 2Bs 3cs and 1 D (the d felt like I'd been stabbed- oh well I shouldn't ever have relied on google translate)?

I think they'd have liked bio but sociology seems like it would go well with nursing (I don't do sociology but from what I've seen it does seem like it would help in nursing)
At uni you could do some nursing course or apply to do one now so that it could come in handy at uni
I dont think maths would have been an important subject door nursing at all so u should be fine without it
Keep law of you like it but bear in mind it isn't the most respected of all a level subjects plus if u want to do law it isn't even necessary to do it all ( I've heard the reason why it's not liked is because they don't teach the right kind of it a a level so at uni things get a little complicated but keep it if you like it- I'm sure you'll still get lifelong skills!) :smile:
Sorry for the essay btw
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest