The Student Room Group

Good reading books for History A level??

Heya all! I'm studying Germany from 1919 - 1963 and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on actual reading books that would be interesting for the course? I just simply want to expand my knowledge and read a proper historical book rather than a textbook. Thanks!
Original post by AyyJeh
Heya all! I'm studying Germany from 1919 - 1963 and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on actual reading books that would be interesting for the course? I just simply want to expand my knowledge and read a proper historical book rather than a textbook. Thanks!

Not sure if this will be helpful to you, but I read a book by Robert Harris called Fatherland and really enjoyed it. I read this many years ago and still remember it fondly. It's about an alternate reality where Germany did not lose WW2 and all the things that would mean.

There's also a tv series called Man in the High Castle on Amazon which envisions a future where the US lost WW2 and was successfully conquered by Nazi Germany and Japan. Again, fictional, but you might find it interesting.

Makes you think, if nothing else. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I think I may actually watch the TV show! Thank you man! :smile:
There are always plenty of good doccumentraies on yoitube, b but the Germans also produced a TV series called Heimat whichc covers your entire period and longer. Raher thna a hard study it might give you a feel for how life changed in Germany. Quite old now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film_series)
Reply 4
Moved to History Study Help. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending