The Student Room Group

HM Treasury Policy Analyst Graduate Scheme 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

I received a job offer yesterday after doing my assessment centre on Thursday last week. Good luck to everyone with an AC still to come!

Original post by enterunsername
Gongrats, just one question, have you decided whether you are going for the further study route or this, and if the former have you explored whether they will allow a deferral for a year?

Has anyone else heard (whether yes, no or maybe)?
Does anyone know if they have similar intake numbers for both April and September? Strikes me as odd that they'd have an April intake, considering the vast majority would be angling for a graduate scheme starting in Sept. Would think that perhaps the numbers are slightly bigger for the latter
Original post by 21ringro
I received a job offer yesterday after doing my assessment centre on Thursday last week. Good luck to everyone with an AC still to come!

Can I ask what intake you were applying for?

Has anyone received a firm offer for the September intake yet?
I applied for the September intake! I believe they accept more people in the September intake but might be wrong.

Original post by anona666474
Can I ask what intake you were applying for?

Has anyone received a firm offer for the September intake yet?
Original post by 21ringro
I applied for the September intake! I believe they accept more people in the September intake but might be wrong.

Yes for September the number is 50, whereas it is 30 for April.

The april intake is tailored towards those already gradutaed, seeking a career change or just available etc.

Gongrats to those who have passed, hang in there for 'hold on's' and there is another chance for those who dont quite make it.
Yes for September the number is 50, whereas it is 30 for April.

The april intake is tailored towards those already gradutaed, seeking a career change or just available etc.

Gongrats to those who have passed, hang in there for 'hold on's' and there is another chance for those who dont quite make it.

Out of interest has anyone had a firm offer for a start in April?
Out of interest has anyone had a firm offer for a start in April?

Not sure, but the website states that successful candidates would hear back within a week, for both April and September intakes.

Anyone know how long they give you to make a decision for the September intake? What if we're also attending the civil service fast stream assessment centre, and awaiting the outcome of that before making a decision (as I assume many people will be)?
Original post by anona666474
Not sure, but the website states that successful candidates would hear back within a week, for both April and September intakes.

Anyone know how long they give you to make a decision for the September intake? What if we're also attending the civil service fast stream assessment centre, and awaiting the outcome of that before making a decision (as I assume many people will be)?

No but it is expected there will constant revisions as they have given themselves until May to sort everything out for Sept intakes...so this surely includes people who decline, change minds etc.

Have you sat yours yet, if not good luck! I also have the CS FSAC next month in London...but would prefer this as (would I?) as it starts quickly.
Reply 108
I had my AC last Tuesday. Considering that everyone who got offers has said that they were emailed 3-4 working days after their AC, I guess that I should forget about getting in.

Nevertheless, has anyone else heard something mildly positive (even being amberbanded)?
Original post by Mimma
I had my AC last Tuesday. Considering that everyone who got offers has said that they were emailed 3-4 working days after their AC, I guess that I should forget about getting in.

Nevertheless, has anyone else heard something mildly positive (even being amberbanded)?

No dont giveup yet, I was told I was on hold after 12 days post AC.
Out of interest, how did you all prepare for the presentation? Aside reading the link provided in the email about the sugar tax, I'm not really sure how else to prepare.
Original post by BWCW
Well, I thought I was done for because I was late and brought the wrong documents... so even if you do that you obviously still have a chance!

Written exercise you can't really prepare for. Make sure to plan before you start writing I suppose? For the presentation, I'd say it's good to have done some research beforehand, not excessive, but maybe a few stats up your sleeve. Try to keep your research broad though, because you get a different question on the day.
Interview I thought was really hard, but know the competencies (they sent an attachment in the email saying which ones they will test), they tell you before each question what they're looking for anyway. Have thought of examples for each one and stick to the STAR structure. Try and explain your answer fully, but don't be disheartened if they push you or keep asking follow up questions, they did with me. Easy to say, but relax and be yourself as much as possible - as much as they're looking for whether you can do the job, I would imagine they're probably sussing out whether you'd be good to work with!

Don't really think any of this is new information, but there you go! Best of luck to everyone still with ACs :smile:

I was wondering if there is any numerical element to the day e.g in the written exercise for example? If so, how complex are the calculations you are expected to do?
Reply 112
Original post by kitkatzap
I was wondering if there is any numerical element to the day e.g in the written exercise for example? If so, how complex are the calculations you are expected to do?

No maths at all :smile: As long as you can interpret and incorporate basic data into writing you'll be fine.
Original post by BWCW
I've decided to go onto further study - they've said they will note me down as a deferral, but can't guarantee there will be a role. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

It might reassure you to know I was successful last year and deferred and I'm due to start in April this year. Telling you it's not guaranteed seemed just to be a formality :smile:
Reply 114
Original post by Wednesday17th
It might reassure you to know I was successful last year and deferred and I'm due to start in April this year. Telling you it's not guaranteed seemed just to be a formality :smile:

Oh, awesome! That gives me some hope, thank you so much :smile: Good luck!
Original post by BWCW
Well, I thought I was done for because I was late and brought the wrong documents... so even if you do that you obviously still have a chance!

Written exercise you can't really prepare for. Make sure to plan before you start writing I suppose? For the presentation, I'd say it's good to have done some research beforehand, not excessive, but maybe a few stats up your sleeve. Try to keep your research broad though, because you get a different question on the day.
Interview I thought was really hard, but know the competencies (they sent an attachment in the email saying which ones they will test), they tell you before each question what they're looking for anyway. Have thought of examples for each one and stick to the STAR structure. Try and explain your answer fully, but don't be disheartened if they push you or keep asking follow up questions, they did with me. Easy to say, but relax and be yourself as much as possible - as much as they're looking for whether you can do the job, I would imagine they're probably sussing out whether you'd be good to work with!

Don't really think any of this is new information, but there you go! Best of luck to everyone still with ACs :smile:

Did you get asked any weird questions like how you deal with criticism/what are your strengths and weaknesses? :smile:
Reply 116
Thanks for everyone who's posted updates! I have mine tomorrow so I'm absolutely freaking out now because I don't think I've prepared enough at all. The competencies stump me every time I think of an example, and I got myself into a panic that I didn't actually understand tax properly haha. I've applied for April also. Will update when I hear back!
Hey there,

Firstly relax, now is not the time to panic.
The comps are fine with this particualr govt dept, so dont be disturbed.

Have it in your mind for the particular exercises, but the interview is not as bad as some I have had.

Sorry what do you mean by tax?

Im on hold, some have gotten through, whereas others can try again.... very best of luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone been reimbursed yet? I sent my receipts away weeks ago and haven't heard anything.
Reply 119
Hey there,

Firstly relax, now is not the time to panic.
The comps are fine with this particualr govt dept, so dont be disturbed.

Have it in your mind for the particular exercises, but the interview is not as bad as some I have had.

Sorry what do you mean by tax?

Im on hold, some have gotten through, whereas others can try again.... very best of luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reassurance, hopefully it'll be ok. I guess I remember the competencies as, for example, 'building capability for all', but if they were to rephrase it I would get confused.

And I wasn't sure whether we'd be expected to have a sound understanding of general taxation in the UK and pros/cons, but I assume not?

Thanks again, and hope you hear back soon!

Quick Reply

Latest