The Student Room Group

Odd sequences

Hi guys,

So I am not a mathematician but reaaally need to solve this sequence difference for my linguistics/ semantics class.
If I have a sequence such as {21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37, ...} in which the difference is always 1, 3, 1, 3, ... how could I describe this? I've been reading about the nth term and quadratic nth terms but nothing seems to fit due to the odd sequence! :confused:
I would really appreciate some help on this!

Jess
Original post by jessicalorynn
Hi guys,

So I am not a mathematician but reaaally need to solve this sequence difference for my linguistics/ semantics class.
If I have a sequence such as {21, 22, 25, 26, 29, 30, 33, 34, 37, ...} in which the difference is always 1, 3, 1, 3, ... how could I describe this? I've been reading about the nth term and quadratic nth terms but nothing seems to fit due to the odd sequence! :confused:
I would really appreciate some help on this!

Jess

Simplest way to do this is to break it up into odd and even terms. Each of these is described by a simple linear equation.
Original post by Gregorius
Simplest way to do this is to break it up into odd and even terms. Each of these is described by a simple linear equation.

I'm sorry I don't follow. I was thinking I can say it's a positive integer 21 but after that I just get stuck! I haven't learnt any math since I was 15/16 so this is proving as a bit of a challenge to say the least haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sorry I don't follow. I was thinking I can say it's a positive integer 25 but after that I just get stuck! I haven't learnt any math since I was 15/16 so this is proving as a bit of a challenge to say the least haha.

OK, let's call the nth term of the sequence ana_{n}, then observe that if n is odd we can write

an=21+n12×4\displaystyle a_{n} = 21 + \frac{n-1}{2} \times 4

and if n is even we can write

an=22+n22×4\displaystyle a_{n} = 22 + \frac{n-2}{2} \times 4
Original post by Gregorius
OK, let's call the nth term of the sequence ana_{n}, then observe that if n is odd we can write

an=21+n12×4\displaystyle a_{n} = 21 + \frac{n-1}{2} \times 4

and if n is even we can write

an=22+n22×4\displaystyle a_{n} = 22 + \frac{n-2}{2} \times 4

Thanks for your help! Now a stupid question but what actually is n? Or do we have to work that out..?
Thanks for your help! Now a stupid question but what actually is n? Or do we have to work that out..?

You use n (or rather ana_{n}) to label the sequence in order. So the first value of the sequence is a1a_{1}, the second is a2a_{2}, the third a3a_{3} and so on. So, for example, for your sequence:

a3=25=21+312×4\displaystyle a_{3} = 25 = 21 + \frac{3 - 1}{2} \times 4
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending