The Student Room Group

GCSE Art is the bane of my existence.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I used to like it, until I realised it's more about meeting your teacher's expectation and over expressing yourself. Honestly, I only did it because I liked to make Art, not to make every work be filled with powerful emotions and meaning (=_=).

It was so painful having to write a bunch of essays, over analysing artist's work and doing things I'm genuinely not interested just because the teacher think it's useful (e.g. gothic art).

Don't do it at A-level, you'll regret it.
This definitely mirrors my experience.
Reply 22
Original post by kkboyk
I used to like it, until I realised it's more about meeting your teacher's expectation and over expressing yourself. Honestly, I only did it because I liked to make Art, not to make every work be filled with powerful emotions and meaning (=_=).

It was so painful having to write a bunch of essays, over analysing artist's work and doing things I'm genuinely not interested just because the teacher think it's useful (e.g. gothic art).

Don't do it at A-level, you'll regret it.

Believe me I won't instead of Art being free, and you being able to express yourself and choose what you want to do and make Art because you enjoy it, you're forced to conform to the Mark Scheme and bumlicking the examiners. The Art I make in my free time is much better than the one I do for class. And I agree on the last part Art isn't about making essays its about seeing and feeling.

The Whole System needs a reform IMHO.

I'm just gonna stick to Bio and Chem.
Original post by retro_turtles
i feel better on a couple of hours every night tbh and well my final piece was based on an artist who did postcards so i did a collage of like 15 postcard sized pieces that all fit together to make one thing

i can't rep u so :frown:...
wow.that is an amazing idea..
i was thinking of sitting on the school roof and taking a picture looking down.then for my final piece i'll had water,sunset and a boat:biggrin:
^copyright tamil fever:biggrin:
Reply 24
Tell me about it. I picked it because I thought I could draw. Oh, how stupid I was. I even picked music and technology and design as well. The long, near-tearful nights still haunt me to this day. I did despise it, but pulled off a B while I was predicting a D or E. Made me hate art as well, but finally I have started to like it again at 18 in the art history sense.

My final outcomes saved me because I used photoshop, a medium I was very proficient in. If you hate it like I did and really do not want to do it, I would work really hard at a few pieces (experimental pieces are usually good for these, or pencil if you can draw) and scrape through the rest, then do your final outcome in the medium you are best in, and put some serious work into it.
Not sure which exam board youre doing but I did AQA and honestly a lot of the marks are for annotations and not the actual quality of drawings so much.
Just make sure you use a lot of different media (graphite, watercolour, colour pencil, clay, cardboard, collage etc) and say what you thought of it, link it to other artists' work (A LOT of artist pages) and what you would do next time to improve.
Reply 26
Original post by Popsiclez
Believe me I won't instead of Art being free, and you being able to express yourself and choose what you want to do and make Art because you enjoy it, you're forced to conform to the Mark Scheme and bumlicking the examiners. The Art I make in my free time is much better than the one I do for class. And I agree on the last part Art isn't about making essays its about seeing and feeling.

The Whole System needs a reform IMHO.

I'm just gonna stick to Bio and Chem.

Lol this is basically what I did. I switched from Art and humanities A-level to all sciences.

Art as a subject is better in other countries, as you're actually learning something (e.g. anatomy, sculpturing).
lul try doing a maths degree if you wanna feel real pain
Original post by tamil fever
i can't rep u so :frown:...
wow.that is an amazing idea..
i was thinking of sitting on the school roof and taking a picture looking down.then for my final piece i'll had water,sunset and a boat:biggrin:
^copyright tamil fever:biggrin:

You could try but i doubt they'd let you ahha
What on earth was I think when I picked It urghh, the Homework and Coursework is so stressful, at first it was fun drawing, I like art but GCSE Art has made me start despising it, I swear to God if I get one more Homework I'll rip my hair out. I warn all of you in Year 9 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STAY AWAY FROM ART.

I like Art but the Exam Board has broken my spirit. Gonna have to pull an all nighter today urgh, as I got two letters home, as me and many other people in my class need to catch up.

LOL I had a friend last year who did gcse art.. SO much work... but she was really good at it and kind of enjoyed it too!
Are you in yr 10 or yr 11?:smile:
Reply 30
Original post by sunshine774
LOL I had a friend last year who did gcse art.. SO much work... but she was really good at it and kind of enjoyed it too!
Are you in yr 10 or yr 11?:smile:

Yr 11 now, so I have to really squash more art down my throat and improve aloot before June 2017.
What on earth was I think when I picked It urghh, the Homework and Coursework is so stressful, at first it was fun drawing, I like art but GCSE Art has made me start despising it, I swear to God if I get one more Homework I'll rip my hair out. I warn all of you in Year 9 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STAY AWAY FROM ART.

I like Art but the Exam Board has broken my spirit. Gonna have to pull an all nighter today urgh, as I got two letters home, as me and many other people in my class need to catch up.

At least you didn't do ****** gcse computing!:angry: Also, the exam board was OCR which everybody found annoying for this particular subject. PLEASE NOBODY DO COMPUTING IF YOU LITERALLY HAVE NO PRIOR PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE! Also, the programming tasks are SO time consuming! I spent hours after school (and in saturday school) especially in yr 11 doing the CAs which annoyed me because I was spending a lot of time on a subject I really hated/couldn't care less about! I was so crap at it, literally didn't understand anything- felt so stupid and it was annoying because all my other subjects were fine! Luckily, I went to a good school and happened to have two AMAZING teachers for computing who really helped and supported me- managed to get a B in the end but I was personally expecting a D...:redface:

Sorry for the LONG rant- but I really understand how you feel when you wrongly choose a subject (I was not allowed to drop computing- apparently because I was good at maths and science means I would be OK ta computing- wrong for me...); I wish you the best of luck with your art!x:biggrin: Just think it'll be over soon! Now I'm in yr 12 and I miss doing some of my subjects at gcse- but I am so glad I never have to do computing again!:biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by fefssdf
lul try doing a maths degree if you wanna feel real pain

Lol, I've only just started and already feel like I'm way behind work in abstract algebra (in particular set theory, logic and modular arithmetic) and also geometry is the biggest b*tch ever. How you finding it so far and what topics have you covered?

Can't wait until we touch on harder real analysis topic like convergence and Riemann integral :h:

Original post by sunshine774
At least you didn't do ****** gcse computing!:angry: Also, the exam board was OCR which everybody found annoying for this particular subject. PLEASE NOBODY DO COMPUTING IF YOU LITERALLY HAVE NO PRIOR PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE! Also, the programming tasks are SO time consuming! I spent hours after school (and in saturday school) especially in yr 11 doing the CAs which annoyed me because I was spending a lot of time on a subject I really hated/couldn't care less about! I was so crap at it, literally didn't understand anything- felt so stupid and it was annoying because all my other subjects were fine! Luckily, I went to a good school and happened to have two AMAZING teachers for computing who really helped and supported me- managed to get a B in the end but I was personally expecting a D...:redface:

Sorry for the LONG rant- but I really understand how you feel when you wrongly choose a subject (I was not allowed to drop computing- apparently because I was good at maths and science means I would be OK ta computing- wrong for me...); I wish you the best of luck with your art!x:biggrin: Just think it'll be over soon! Now I'm in yr 12 and I miss doing some of my subjects at gcse- but I am so glad I never have to do computing again!:biggrin:

I feel you. My script couldn't be read the day before the deadline when using VB, so I had to start again from scratch and ended up with U for my coursework and a C overall when I could have gotten a B (=_=).
GCSE art is easy if you leave enough time for it. I remember doing (apart from the actual art pieces) my entire GCSE portfolio in 24 hours. Got a B after that and my exam :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest