The Student Room Group

How do I become a secondary school teacher?

Can I become a secondary school teacher by doing any degree that i want (looking at medicine/biochemical sciences/pharmacology at the moment, because that's just what I want to do. I do want to go into drug development and testing, but being a teacher is my plan b.) then just taking a PGCE postgrad to teach in whatever I'm going to do for my a levels (bio, chem and geography)??

(sorry about the category btw, didn't know where to put it)
you don't need a PGCE to become a teacher, you just get a masters degree in something, train as a teacher in a real school, get your certificate, and teach.
Reply 2
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
you don't need a PGCE to become a teacher, you just get a masters degree in something, train as a teacher in a real school, get your certificate, and teach.

Ahh thanks. It's just the route my sister took into becoming a teacher, so I just thought about it that way.
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest

You do need a PGCE to teach in the British state sector. You do not, however, need a masters degree.

That "certificate" you get on what is known as Schools Direct or the Teach First Programme IS a PGCE-the Post Graduate CERTIFICATE in Education

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abbie131
Can I become a secondary school teacher by doing any degree that i want (looking at medicine/biochemical sciences/pharmacology at the moment, because that's just what I want to do. I do want to go into drug development and testing, but being a teacher is my plan b.) then just taking a PGCE postgrad to teach in whatever I'm going to do for my a levels (bio, chem and geography)??

(sorry about the category btw, didn't know where to put it)

Yes you can do most degrees and become a teacher providing you go through the necessary training post degree level.

The one thing I would say is (considering you posted this in the medicine section), medicine is a vocational degree in which the majority of graduates go on to practice as a doctor. I honestly wouldn't reccomend applying for medicine (which is super competitive) if you dont want to become a doctor, if you want to go into research or teaching your better going for a more theoretical degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Natalierm2707
Yes you can do most degrees and become a teacher providing you go through the necessary training post degree level.

The one thing I would say is (considering you posted this in the medicine section), medicine is a vocational degree in which the majority of graduates go on to practice as a doctor. I honestly wouldn't reccomend applying for medicine (which is super competitive) if you dont want to become a doctor, if you want to go into research or teaching your better going for a more theoretical degree.

I do want to do pharmacology, but there aren't any good universities near me that I can get into and want to go to (number 1 on league tables is cambridge, which is waaaaaayyy out of my league) apart from Queen's and UCL. Not sure right now. Haven't had time to read up on differences between the courses and what is right for me. I think I'll wait until time is allocated for that at school and we can get help then too.
I do want to do pharmacology, but there aren't any good universities near me that I can get into and want to go to (number 1 on league tables is cambridge, which is waaaaaayyy out of my league) apart from Queen's and UCL. Not sure right now. Haven't had time to read up on differences between the courses and what is right for me. I think I'll wait until time is allocated for that at school and we can get help then too.

You can move away for university you know. In fact, I strongly recommend it.

Well if your set on pharmacology (which is in my opinon a brilliant degree which based on your interests would fit incredibly well) then you may have to move further away. be aware that usually the schools at the top of the league tables will be wanting AAA-A*AA usually, then it goes down from there. I would say its more important to like the university and the course than its position in the league table.
Leaving home is part of growing up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending