The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tehjonny
We went in and beat up a few criminal gangs/wannabe militias. Yes we did it very well...but it didn't do anything to resolve the underlying economic issues of the country, and it is still extremely dangerous. We could do the same in Zimbabwe for sure, we could do the same in any African country if we really wanted to, but would it actually solve any of the deeper issues of the country? Would it repair the economy and get agricultural production back up? No, we'd have to stay to do that, and in my view the longer we stay in any nation the more negative the media portrayal of the occupation becomes.

My point was only that we can intervene in Africa and be praised for it. And it can raise our stature with those people that we help. Obviously an extended stay will bring with it more risks of things not working out. But Sierra Leone proves that if we do the job right than our regard will be improved.
Reply 41
UniOfLife
My point was only that we can intervene in Africa and be praised for it. And it can raise our stature with those people that we help. Obviously an extended stay will bring with it more risks of things not working out. But Sierra Leone proves that if we do the job right than our regard will be improved.

I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent, but was our action in Sierre Leone that successful, e.g. whilst it achieved its objectives did it have a substantial and lasting impact on the people of that country?

I think it's also the case that we went into Sierre Leone on a short-term basis, with narrow aims (that weren't that benign). Those being to get the kidnapped soldiers back and teach those that did it a swift lesson. Going into Zimbabwe and removing an entrenched government that does still garner the support of a small minority of the population will be a very different matter in my opinion.
Reply 42
UniOfLife

I agree. :smile:
Reply 43
tehjonny
We went in and beat up a few criminal gangs/wannabe militias. Yes we did it very well...but it didn't do anything to resolve the underlying economic issues of the country, and it is still extremely dangerous. We could do the same in Zimbabwe for sure, we could do the same in any African country if we really wanted to, but would it actually solve any of the deeper issues of the country? Would it repair the economy and get agricultural production back up? No, we'd have to stay to do that, and in my view the longer we stay in any nation the more negative the media portrayal of the occupation becomes.

Zimbabwe is almost singular in Africa, in that there isn't anything fundamentally "wrong" with it. So far, its difficulties have been caused by one individual. All Zimbabwe's economic problems are of political making. What's needed is a much tighter leash from aid donors and international financiers in developing countries. It's not something we'd have to hang around to oversee. Zimbabwe remains with the advantage of being one of the most educated countries in Africa, with an abundance of natural resources, and economic expertise within its population.
tehjonny
I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent, but was our action in Sierre Leone that successful, e.g. whilst it achieved its objectives did it have a substantial and lasting impact on the people of that country?

I think it's also the case that we went into Sierre Leone on a short-term basis, with narrow aims (that weren't that benign). Those being to get the kidnapped soldiers back and teach those that did it a swift lesson. Going into Zimbabwe and removing an entrenched government that does still garner the support of a small minority of the population will be a very different matter in my opinion.

Sierra Leone was more than just a rescue operation. what do you think the kidnapped soldiers were doing there?

And Zimbabwee will be easier to invade than Iraq. The people will be more welcoming and the job of reconstruction easier to do. Of course there are risks but why are they not worth taking to a) help the people of Zimbabwee and b) improve our own image as well?
He should have an unfortunate accident at the hands of the SAS, possibly along with some of his cronies, and we should set up an interim government administrated by South Africa and Zambia, or possibly the AU if it's not too busy trying to clean up the mess we didn't want to touch in the Sudan, to oversee the recovery of the country. When that's done, we can hold some elections and hopefully Zimbabwe can start again.

However, LOL non-intervention in sovereign states.

Guilt by inaction? Discuss.
Reply 46
We should of gone into Zimbabwe instead of Iraq. With links in Zimbabwe and having visited it several times, Zimbabweans feel they have four options:

Military Coup (not a very good idea. If you thought Mugabe's wife was bad, wait until you find about the wife of the head of the army)

Mugabe Softening up (somehoe i don't thinks that's gonna happed)

Popular Revolution (The best out of the four but how many will have to die for a popular revolution to take place)

Mugabe Dying (Mugabe's party (Zanu PF) will just choose another Mugabe)

i think it needs to be recolonised, its economy stabilised by returning farms to its previous white owners (most of these farms are no longer being used and are owned by Mugabe's cronies), and then it being made an independent country with real and comptent political parties (the current opposition aren't exactly a bunch of angels)
Agent Smith
Guilt by inaction? Discuss.

In general yes, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances - we can't be everywhere.

This is a really big problem for the vehemently anti-war, though.
Reply 48
shaf90
We should of gone into Zimbabwe instead of Iraq. With links in Zimbabwe and having visited it several times, Zimbabweans feel they have four options:

Military Coup

Mugabe Softening up

Popular Revolution

Mugabe Dying

However, i think it needs to be recolonised, its economy stabilised by returning farms to its previous white owners (most of these farms are no longer being used and are owned by Mugabe's cronies), and then it being made an independent country with real and comptent political parties

You can't just "recolonise" a country. But I like Agent Smith's idea of an interim administration (or something like that in principle). I've always favoured that sort of intervention and don't really see why it shouldn't be possible.
shaf90
returning farms to its previous white owners
Yeah... before anyone cries racism, the fact that the solution would be to give all the farms to the whiteys isn't racist; it's because all the best farmers in Zimbabwe are white. Why? Because they owned all the land when things were run in a racist way, so they know how to work it. Simply grabbing it off them and giving it to new black owners who have no idea what they're doing was never going to work. If he wanted to give the farms back to the blacks without starving everyone to death, what Mugabe should have done was forced all the white farmers to take on black apprentices to learn the necessary skills. Indeed, that's arguably what should happen now.
Gilliwoo
You can't just "recolonise" a country. But I like Agent Smith's idea of an interim administration (or something like that in principle). I've always favoured that sort of intervention and don't really see why it shouldn't be possible.

You'd still need to invade to force out the other government.

And I think the reason people don't like it is because appointing an interim government looks like installing a puppet one (which it is in many ways) and people prefer things to look right rather than be best. Unfortunately another case of ideology over pragmatism.
Reply 51
Agent Smith
Yeah... before anyone cries racism, the fact that the solution would be to give all the farms to the whiteys isn't racist; it's because all the best farmers in Zimbabwe are white. Why? Because they owned all the land when things were run in a racist way, so they know how to work it. Simply grabbing it off them and giving it to new black owners who have no idea what they're doing was never going to work. If he wanted to give the farms back to the blacks without starving everyone to death, what Mugabe should have done was forced all the white farmers to take on black apprentices to learn the necessary skills. Indeed, that's arguably what should happen now.

There is an argument that seizing lands from white farmers was immoral, but how would it possibly be any more acceptable to seize lands from the black farmers again? To do so would effectively require an imperialist recolonisation...
Dionysus
There is an argument that seizing lands from white farmers was immoral, but how would it possibly be any more acceptable to seize lands from the black farmers again? To do so would effectively require an imperialist recolonisation...

It's generally referred to as returning stolen property, isn't it?

Or if you're going to argue that Mugabe had legal right to take away that land than the new government would also have legal right to return it to its former owners.
Reply 53
UniOfLife
You'd still need to invade to force out the other government.

And I think the reason people don't like it is because appointing an interim government looks like installing a puppet one (which it is in many ways) and people prefer things to look right rather than be best. Unfortunately another case of ideology over pragmatism.

I don't know that you'd have to necessarily invade. As with Gaddafi, it may not be necessary to force out the government. Now, I can't say that I know a great deal about economics and things, but I was thinking of a more carrot-and-stick scenario. I think that organisations like the IMF, UN, EU etc - the guys who control the purse strings - should have far more administrative say in how their money spent. What they lack is political legitimacy, but they are availed of significant wherewithal and expertise. They need a shorter leash. I wonder if it would not be possible by whatever means that economists, international lawyers and diplomats achieve these things, to have something that works like this:

A package/agreement be negotiated which doesn't make excessively specifc political demands, but requires stringent economic guarantees - which would, I believe, result in politically and economically favourable results for everyone. An "administrative squad" or whatever then be set up to manage the package on the ground, under the auspices of these organisations. The fund be managed on the ground by a consortium of representatives from the AU, SADC, Commonwealth and other parties who Mugabe would be more willing to treat with whilst saving face. The proposition would be made more desirable, by threatening severe and complete economic sanctions not only on Mugabe himself, but on the regional leaders who are aiding him (of course, one of the reasons that Rhodesia had to capitulate in the 70s, was because of well-executed sanctions). And that's the basic idea.

Probably not terribly realistic (I won't say impossible), but I'd like to see these things dealt with more assertively than they tend to be. This should, as Lib North suggested, be managed as one would manage a company under bad management. I just think we've become so used to saying things "aren't possible", without trying to find alternatives. What is lacking is usually political will, not means - I think Iraq demonstrates this. I appreciate that a sovereign country and a company aren't alike in all senses, but, this would be one way of resolving these issues without going for the extreme options of military intervention or willful inaction.
Reply 54
The Land Issue is a whole different problem now.
Gilliwoo
I don't know that you'd have to necessarily invade. As with Gaddafi, it may not be necessary to force out the government. Now, I can't say that I know a great deal about economics and things, but I was thinking of a more carrot-and-stick scenario. I think that organisations like the IMF, UN, EU etc - the guys who control the purse strings - should have far more administrative say in how their money spent. What they lack is political legitimacy, but they are availed of significant wherewithal and expertise. They need a shorter leash. I wonder if it would not be possible by whatever means that economists, international lawyers and diplomats achieve these things, to have something that works like this:

A package/agreement be negotiated which doesn't make excessively specifc political demands, but requires stringent economic guarantees - which would, I believe, result in politically and economically favourable results for everyone. An "administrative squad" or whatever then be set up to manage the package on the ground, under the auspices of these organisations. The fund be managed on the ground by a consortium of representatives from the AU, SADC, Commonwealth and other parties who Mugabe would be more willing to treat with whilst saving face. The proposition would be made more desirable, by threatening severe and complete economic sanctions not only on Mugabe himself, but on the regional leaders who are aiding him (of course, one of the reasons that Rhodesia had to capitulate in the 70s, was because of well-executed sanctions). And that's the basic idea.

Probably not terribly realistic (I won't say impossible), but I'd like to see these things dealt with more assertively than they tend to be. This should, as Lib North suggested, be managed as one would manage a company under bad management. I just think we've become so used to saying things "aren't possible", without trying to find alternatives. What is lacking is usually political will, not means - I think Iraq demonstrates this. I appreciate that a sovereign country and a company aren't alike in all senses, but, this would be one way of resolving these issues without going for the extreme options of military intervention or willful inaction.

I don't know much about Zimbabwee's economy but judging by the state it's in at the moment it doesn't look like Mugabe actually cares about it. And since your plan hinges on him agreeing to these measure with the threat of sanctions, what will you do if he refuses. That's the problem. If he doesn't care enough about his economy (and it looks like he doesn't) than you'll have to use force to remove him.
Dionysus
There is an argument that seizing lands from white farmers was immoral, but how would it possibly be any more acceptable to seize lands from the black farmers again?
Um, because it would stop people starving to death?
Reply 57
Africa can't rule itself fact, we should invade and call it Rhodesia.
Reply 58
dan_man
Africa can't rule itself fact, we should invade and call it Rhodesia.

Oh yes, saying "fact" at the end of a sentence makes it true 'init'?
Reply 59
Gilliwoo
Oh yes, saying "fact" at the end of a sentence makes it true 'init'?

Indeed, look at the continent that fell into disarray with state planned economies, oppressive nationalist leaders and the dismantling of institutions that the colonial powers built up.

Now you have tin pot, 'president' for life dictators with a private jet, a fleet of Bentleys, 50 wives while his country is starving or dying from AID's.

Latest

Trending

Trending