The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
One way of getting a cheaper quote is by stating that your avarage annual mileage is 5000 or less.
Reply 21
Samsung12
One way of getting a cheaper quote is by stating that your avarage annual mileage is 5000 or less.

I dont know if insurance check mileage, if they did surely someone could say 'unexpected trips came up'. You can't really lie about much - insurers have been known to skip paying out in accidents due to window tints alloys etc that havent been declared, even if they are unrelated to the accident. saying it's in a garage or on a driveway or sometimes a street has never made a difference to me, maybe it does with different areas and cars.. i guess sometimes adding an older driver reduces costs, as named driver or main. backboxes are the worse, no performance gain, yet will easily add hundreds!
Reply 22

Don't lie, more trouble than it's worth, if you get in scrape and the horrid truth is revealed you will be well and truly as we like to say FUDGED
Reply 23
Don't lie on your insurance. It could be invalidated. Not worth it for any potential saving you could make.

My insurance is limited to 1500 miles a year on one and 3000 a year on the other car. My insurance companies ask for the mileage at the start and end of the year. This is classic car policies though, don't know if normal car policies would be the same.
Reply 24
Tofufi
Don't lie on your insurance. It could be invalidated. Not worth it for any potential saving you could make.

My insurance is limited to 1500 miles a year on one and 3000 a year on the other car. My insurance companies ask for the mileage at the start and end of the year. This is classic car policies though, don't know if normal car policies would be the same.

Slightly off topic, but DUDE! Where the hell did you spring from?! :biggrin:
Reply 25
I was thinking the same thing on another thread a minute ago :biggrin:
i useed to work for motor claims office for insurance comapny and to be honest if its only small things u lie about ie alloys that are 2 inches bigger than declared they usually cover it.if its body kit or the likes they wont cover your car but are likely to cover the other persons as you do pay insurance for a reason!!

I wouldnt really lie to be honest it wont really save you.as for milage-again in the comapny i worked for they didnt ask for milage and they only ask as a genreal question of the value of the vehicle.usually this wot come into account unless thevehicle is over 15000 ie a lorry etc because they send trained engineers out to value the vehicle as it were before the accident looking at milage etc...
Reply 27
Yeah the value thing is something else which doesn't seem to make any difference (with Churchill). When I get my policy through the post it always says "Vehicle value: No more than 30k" and not what I put on the quote.

I'm a bit confused with the mods though. Do you only have to declare after-market alloys and other mods? I've got alloys and tinted glass that isn't standard for my car but they were upgraded when the car was bought.
Reply 28
Cortez
Yeah the value thing is something else which doesn't seem to make any difference (with Churchill). When I get my policy through the post it always says "Vehicle value: No more than 30k" and not what I put on the quote.

I'm a bit confused with the mods though. Do you only have to declare after-market alloys and other mods? I've got alloys and tinted glass that isn't standard for my car but they were upgraded when the car was bought.

Had a convo about this the other day, in theory, optional extras shouldnt count as mods from standard if you have proof of purchase spec? ideally you should declare everything to stay safe, but I can see why people wouldnt declare some mods etc. Same size aftermarket alloys on my first car would have cost an extra £110 over the standard wheels.
Reply 29
Just don't lie. Honestly, these firms have been known to hire private detectives and if they find out not only will your insurance not be valid, but they will also sue you.
My morals have been given a kick for asking this one:p:

Thanks for the info:smile:
Reply 31
re: the person asking about optional extras.
if you can prove they are factory fitted, there should no be a problem as in effect these are classed as "standard". aftermarket items, are not "standard" and therefore need to be declared. even alloys. even if they are ford alloys and you own a ford car. if they did not come from the factory, you have to delare them. even little things, like spot lamps or clear rear lights. some insurancecompanies even throw a hissy fit if you add valve caps! cosmetic changes, although they do now make you car any quicker, they enhance the look of your car, therefore making it more of a target for theives. this is why you must declare everything on insurance. if they didnt want you to, they would ask. although you may want to check with your insure what you are and are not to declare, as some companieshave different views, so don't take anyones advice as set in stone - you really need to speak to your insurer.
Reply 32
My car originally came with RO-style wheels. Dunlop V8 alloy composite wheels were a factory option. When I put those on I did not have to declare it as a "mod" However, when I put the 15" wolfrace slotmags on that IS a mod so that had to be declared.

Modifying cars and getting insurance legitamtely is a real arse.

My modification form was 3 pages long last year. :s-smilie:
Reply 33
JC.

My modification form was 3 pages long last year. :s-smilie:

Im not looking forward to my mini- theres basically nothing left std! even the wiring loom is custom.
Reply 34
Fordie
re: the person asking about optional extras.
if you can prove they are factory fitted, there should no be a problem as in effect these are classed as "standard". aftermarket items, are not "standard" and therefore need to be declared. even alloys. even if they are ford alloys and you own a ford car. if they did not come from the factory, you have to delare them. even little things, like spot lamps or clear rear lights. some insurancecompanies even throw a hissy fit if you add valve caps! cosmetic changes, although they do now make you car any quicker, they enhance the look of your car, therefore making it more of a target for theives. this is why you must declare everything on insurance. if they didnt want you to, they would ask. although you may want to check with your insure what you are and are not to declare, as some companieshave different views, so don't take anyones advice as set in stone - you really need to speak to your insurer.

hmm I had a thought yesterday night whilst I was nodding off and I'm a bit concerned now (probably unnecessarily!).

I changed the side repeaters on my Cooper from the standard black plastic ones to Cooper S repeaters ... should I inform my insurance company about that? :s-smilie:
Seems like less trouble to just state the modifications than to hide, because if something was to happen there hassle with that, not forgetting to mention that it invalidates your insurance.
Alternatively, don't modify it and don't buy a modified car...

Latest

Trending

Trending