The Student Room Group

How many days are too many for wearing the same outfit?

I keep being told by my mum that in the UK/Europe (well, where they have winters/4 seasons/cold weather), people tend to wear the same outfit more than once. So I'd like to know how many times do people usually wear the same outfit before putting it to wash? Do you ever wear the same thing for a few days at one stretch? What is acceptable? What isn't?

So...can you lovely ladies and lads of F&B enlighten me? :smile:

When I was in England back in 2005, I wore most outfits not more than twice before washing them and my jeans maybe 3 times or so before washing but never in one stretch. Here though, I sometimes change twice a day and put my clothes to wash after each shower because of all the heat and sweating!

Anyway, TiA for any answers.

x

Scroll to see replies

I change most things every day because I feel skanky if not but I do wear jeans over and over before washing them.
Reply 2
It depends who's seen me in the outfit.
If I'm doing different things each day with different sets of people, I might keep wearing the same outfit, because after all, the new set of people haven't seen it yet, have they? That's unless it starts to smell or has stains on of course.
If I'm spending my time with a lot of the same people every day, like at uni, I won't wear exactly the same outfit, but I might wear parts of it, like I'll wear a different top, jacket, earrings but keep the jumper the same or something.
With jeans though, I find people don't usually notice if you wear them a lot, and they're comfier once they're worn in, so I can wear them for a few weeks without anyone noticing :redface:
Reply 3
Unless it gets dirty/sweaty, I wear everthign twice. Not necessarily wearing it one day, then the day after, but total it together and each item, is usually 2 days of wear. Apart from jeans, which get more usually. Hoodies which I wotn wash unless they're dirty.
Reply 4
I wash jeans/shorts/demin skirts etc when they need it (probably once a month or so) and wash tops usually after one day of wearing. If I've only had something on for a few hours I'd wear it again though.
Reply 5
Trousers/skirts will be worn for a few days, normally in one stretch. Although occasionally I might wear a pair of jeans for a day, then put them to the side in my wardrobe and then go back to them in a couple of days.
Tops/dresses will only be worn for one day, and then they go in the wash, almost without exception.
Hoodies/cardigans will be worn for either one day only, or a few days, depending on what the condition of the item is like.
Reply 6
few months...
Reply 7
tRG
OP
Do all your replies apply for all the seasons?
Reply 8
clothes for different seasons? ha!
Reply 9
Mine do. The only time that it may differ is if an item has become particularly dirty, and so it goes in the wash sooner than normal.
Reply 10
when they are dirty, and normally 1 week with jeans and tops everyday
Reply 11
Wow. Jeans for a MONTH????

I think LoopyMeg has it pretty much the way I wear clothes, too.
Reply 12
hmmm i only wear all tops once before washing them. jeans get about a week. other bottom halfs a couple of wears. though if i'm just at home i may wear the same things two days running unless i'm really sweaty or something
Reply 13
I never wear a top twice without washing it. Jeans & hoodies/jackets can usually last a few days though.
Reply 14
tRG
Do all your replies apply for all the seasons?

I find in summer I can only wear tops once, in Winter twice or even 3 times, but I don't wear them on consecutive days.

Jeans for about a week both seasons, in fact I would probably wear them for longer but I don't like the way my jeans fit when they've been freshly washed.

As for other kinds of trousers, it varies - if they're light coloured one or maybe 2 wears. If they're darked coloured 2-3 wears.

Hoodies and jumpers its hard to say, maybe once a month? But I'm not sure how many wears, its not like I'm wearing them everyday.
Reply 15
jeans i usually get about four or five wears out of them, less in the winter as they get all soggy and manky at the bottom. tops get one wear, unless im just slobbing about the house, then it would be two. cardis/jumpers etc get maybe fiveish days, unless they were sweaty or dirty.
Everyday.

Hoodies won't get thrown in the wash straight after I've worn them though.
Most things get washed after wearing them once, apart from tailoring (suits/smart bottoms or blazers) as these aren't as dirty and wear out quickly if washed after every wear. I don't wear them on consecutive days though. They get washed after 2 (very occasionally 3) wears. Underwear and other clothing gets washed after every wear (unless I've only had jeans on for a couple of hours). Applies in all seasons.
Reply 18
I change everyday apart from jeans, which I'll wear for like 3 days before putting them in the wash.
Reply 19
I wear my jeans for about 4/5 days at a time, but thats cos I cant be arsed washing them and I dont have a dryer. Tops I will only wear once though.

Latest