The Student Room Group

I want do do further maths for a level but in doubt

I have choose so far biology,chemistry and maths my goal is medicine i know i don't need further maths i know that it is hard but i want to do it i am not fazed by adversity.Every day is a battle so why should I be fazed ?I am an A* students in English and history but i am not enjoying it.My parents are pissed with me because they claim you don't need it so why waste your energy the reason why is because it is something that interests me and something i want to do.I want to go to the top university but I have a burning desire to became good at maths.I don't know what to pick for a forth a level?Any suggestions appreciated.
what year are you in, did u do AS further maths?
Original post by Anonymous1502
I have choose so far biology,chemistry and maths my goal is medicine i know i don't need further maths i know that it is hard but i want to do it i am not fazed by adversity.Every day is a battle so why should I be fazed ?I am an A* students in English and history but i am not enjoying it.My parents are pissed with me because they claim you don't need it so why waste your energy the reason why is because it is something that interests me and something i want to do.I want to go to the top university but I have a burning desire to became good at maths.I don't know what to pick for a forth a level?Any suggestions appreciated.

If you want to do medicine then 4 A-levels is largely pointless and will be a waste of your time.
Original post by Anonymous1502

It is completely up to you, I'm doing A-level further maths and it is tough there is no escaping that, but when the amount you spend on maths you arithmetic and algebra improve greatly. I really didn't feel like I had to put that much effort for normal maths so its up to you. It is interesting and obviously is for you so if you don't mind the initial struggles and couple of pitfalls there's no reason not to do it.

I suggest talking to your teachers, they will have taught a variety of pupils and know your capability so they should give you some great advice.
Original post by samendrag
what year are you in, did u do AS further maths?

No in year 11 and all the schools i am applying to want 4 a levels nothing less nothing more so I need to pick something.
no school is allowed to put 4 alevels as an offer unless its international. If your in year 11 there is really no way to tell what subject you should pick, wait till gcses to judge how capable you are academically and balance this out with interest.
Reply 6
AS-Maths is a huge step up from GCSE anyway so if you find maths easy at the moment then sure go for that. But I'd say don't do Further Maths just for the sake of it, there's no point putting effort into a subject you don't want/need when you could be spending your time on the essential subjects.

Obviously if you absolutely love maths do Further but you haven't mentioned anything along those lines so :afro:
If you have to pick 4 subjects and you love maths, then pick further maths. You may be worried about the difficulty of it, but it shouldn't be any more difficult than chemistry- that's for sure. Before A-levels, I thought that I would breeze through the sciences and find maths really tricky but in fact, I have found the opposite. That's just my personal insight though.
Have you considered any other options such as psychology (could be useful for medicine?), a language or even a creative subject such as art? There's no shame in doing a 'soft' creative subject, especially if you're really good at it. I wish I had known that in Year 11!
Further maths sounds really interesting though, I wish I had chosen it! Doing A-level maths has made me love maths so much more than I did in Year 11.

Quick Reply

Latest