The Student Room Group

How competitive are UK Masters (MRes) in Sciences?

I know that certain programs in the U.K. (such as Finance and Economics) are quite competitive, but how competitive are science programs usually, especially for international students? Particularly in biology and chemistry.
They're competitive but if you meet the entry requirements you should be fine.
All depends where you're applying. Anyone can get into a Mickey Mouse uni but at the top end things are very, very competitive - a 1st from a Russell Group is essential.
Reply 3
I did an LifeSci Undergrad, and a lot of my friends who are frankly mediocre students got onto courses at Oxbridge, UCL, one notable person was somebody who scored a lifesci MSc at ICL and they could barely tell you what a gene is by the time they finished their undergrad degree.

We went to a top 10 uni for lifesci, so maybe that swung it in their favour, but anecdotally, from what i've seen anyone can get onto a Life Sci masters at a damn good uni pretty damn easily tbh.

Edit - we did all get firsts however. So whilst from my experience they aren't great, they got a first so obviously they were doing something right.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know about international students or chemistry degrees, but plenty of students get onto life sciences MRes degrees with only 2:1 at undergraduate. One of my offers stipulated a 2:2 minimum (I was a bit shocked as it's a good university)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
If your undergraduate is equivalent to/or 2:1 you should be fine. Also there are universities (in top 30) that accept 2:2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I have a 2.1 (barely) from a top US institution, but lots of research experience. Just worried that applicants with 1.1s will outshine me and keep me from getting in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending