The Student Room Group

Do you like music from the 1950s and 1960s?

Hi everyone

I absolutely love music from the 1950s and '60s-I'm wondering if anyone else shares my interest? If you do, who are your favourite artists? Why do you like '50s and '60s music? How do you like listening to your music? (I like vinyl best!)

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes I do. It has it's unique mood. Moreover there were no computers and stuff like that, so anyone working in music had to spend high amount of time learning, and very often the one was more or less, directly or indirectly influenced by music majors with their knowledge and tastes, so the music was generally more sophisticated.

Now, anyone without any skills, knowledge or talent can produce something extremely simple and tasteless, because a computer and software's creator does most of the job for him. Dance, trance, rap, lots of pop, are produced exactly this way.
(edited 7 years ago)
50s, no. 60s, yes. Late 60s-early 70s psych rock scene, specifically.

Original post by PTMalewski

Now, anyone without any skills, knowledge or talent can produce something extremely simple and tasteless, because a computer and software's creator does most of the job for him. Dance, trance, rap, lots of pop, are produced exactly this way.

Whilst that's true (to a degree), if you have no skills, knowledge, or talent, how can you produce music? Surely you at least need a little bit of knowledge in how the software works, and a somewhat musical ear in order for it to sound separate to a 90s dial-up tone?
Reply 3
Original post by PTMalewski
Yes I do. It has it's unique mood. Moreover there were no computers and stuff like that, so anyone working in music had to spend high amount of time learning, and very often the one was more or less, directly or indirectly influenced by music majors with their knowledge and tastes, so the music was generally more sophisticated.

I agree with your point-I had not thought of that before. I'm particularly interested in 50s and 60s pop, but I also like classical music too. What area of 50s and 60s music are you interested in?
Reply 4
I'm more into 70s and 80s but my favourite band is from the 60s, Simon and Garfunkel and I listen to other bands and artists from that era such as Elvis, Jefferson Airplane etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm more into 70s and 80s but my favourite band is from the 60s, Simon and Garfunkel and I listen to other bands and artists from that era such as Elvis, Jefferson Airplane etc.

I really like Elvis' music and I have heard some by Simon and Garfunkel too, and I liked it. I haven't heard any by Jefferson Airplane though. My 60s favourites include Herman's Hermits, Cliff Richard, Chubby Checker, The Beatles, Bobby Vee, Connie Francis, Pat Boone, The Shadows and Paul Anka.
I like a lot of the Rock & Roll like Little Richard, Chuck Berry etc.
Original post by Drunk Punx

Whilst that's true (to a degree), if you have no skills, knowledge, or talent, how can you produce music? Surely you at least need a little bit of knowledge in how the software works, and a somewhat musical ear in order for it to sound separate to a 90s dial-up tone?

Not much skills, or no skills at all are needed especially if you wish to make just simple meliodies, without any harmonic background, or just with single tone fixed bassline. Some of modern pop and lots of so called new-electronic music is build exactly like that. Junior Boys, or Armin van Buuren's music can be made this way.
The rythm and fixed tempo is suggested and controlled by modern DAWs as well as toys such as Ableton's pad (don't remember full trade name). Anyway with those colorful pads, you can either only control some effects, while tempo, rythm and other things are controlled by computer, or you can actually play tones suggested by the flashing lights, and you are allowed to fail matching to the rythm and tempo every single time, since the machine will play chosen sounds in a right moments. Then the live music sounds correct even If the performer does almost everything wrong.

Another option are pre prepared patterns, or sampling. Project "Actress" on the other hand, sounds like someone has launched auto accompaniment on keyabord, pushed a random harmonic function, and then started turning off and on particular lines of auto-accompaniment. I'm sure it was done with DAW, not with a keyboard, but with keyboard's auto accompaniment same thing can be done.

Of course, you need to know, how such sofware works, but this has nothing to do with a music itself, and it can be learned by almost anyone.

Original post by Popsi57
I agree with your point-I had not thought of that before. I'm particularly interested in 50s and 60s pop, but I also like classical music too. What area of 50s and 60s music are you interested in?

Hardly interested in, since I'm focused rather on classical music, but I enjoy good popular music. Generally rather music with flowing melodies and beatifully articulated vocal.
I just like the fact that we may pick just anything, or almost anything from those decades, and most likely it will turn up nice, properly composed, well performed, and different to what we do hear in other decades. If you have something to recommend, please, post the names, I'll be happy to listen to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I love rock and roll and am I massive fan of the Beatles which I know is mid 60's onwards but such great music!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really know the 50s. My favourite artists mainly have their roots in the 60s or 70s and I'm not entirely sure which is which because I'm still learning. The Kinks, Neil Young, Patti Smith, Pink Floyd, David Bowie... these are my angels.
Reply 10
I love the music from that era, so many music legends are from that time period. Some of my favorites are the crooners such as Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis Jr. but then there's artists such as Elvis, Tom Jones, Cliff Richard, James Brown, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, there's such a vast mix that are my favorites. I think for some '50s & '60s music is far better than the music today in a lot of ways, for one there was no auto tone. Vinyl gives such a great sound, we may be in the digital age but I still got music that's on cassette which is 1930s blues, great stuff if you like the genre.
Reply 11
Bit late I know people but I love mainly 50s Chicago Blues - if you lot like music from that era, then check it out!
Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Junior Wells, Walter Horton, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker.. the list goes on.
That's my own taste - it's all I listen to, plus I play Blues harmonica myself so plenty of inspiration! Just check out anything by those chaps mentioned above and you can't go wrong really (my opinion, haha).

Quick Reply

Latest