The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

At the moment, I know I want to study: English Literature, Biology and Chemistry. However, I am not sure about the last one; I have been reading numerous posts about Sociology and Pyschology and how universities prefer more traditional subjects. However, as I'm doing the three above mentioned- hopefully it shouldn't matter?

I'm predicted an A in Maths for GCSE and although I do not like it, I do enjoy it when I can understand it. Therefore, I was wondering if I should take Maths instead; I'm willing to work extremely hard to achieve an A at AS level. The course for Maths, at the moment is overbooked, but I'm thinking of doing an evening class or possibly talking to the Head of 6f.

TIA!
Reply 1
I would like to do Medicine/Pharmacy and I went to Connexions to look at the subject requirements which were generally Chemistry and another science. At the moment, the course for Maths is overbooked, but I will have to speak to my Head of Year. I'm predicted a grade A for GCSE Maths - do you think it's possible to achieve A at AS Level?
Reply 2
I think maths would put your application at an advantage. Speak to your head of year, anbd explaion your plans for a medicine application, i'm sure because your achieveing a reasonable grade he will let you on - be daft not to.

You would have to work hard for the A - generally you go down a grade from GCSE to A-level - so that would be a B. But if your willing to work hard, and ask for help when its needed, i don't see why you can't get that A grade. I got A in GCSE and managed to get A at A-level - apparently i was only a few marks off an A* anyway at GCSE.
Reply 3
Maths would be better for Medicine/Pharmacy than Sociology/Psychology

Latest