The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni, what about student finance?

I've been at uni for about 2 months now and I've made the decision to drop out as neither the course or living away from home is for me. The only thing that is stopping me from dropping out now is that I have a tenancy agreement with my halls until the end of the uni year. They said that the only way I can get out of this is to find a replacement tenant but I've had no luck with this. It seems that my only option is to carry on at uni until Christmas, get my student loan for January to pay off my rent and then drop out. But my worries are if I drop out will I be made to pay my maintenance loan off straight away, and will it stop me from getting further loans if I want to restart uni again next year elsewhere? Also, because I am dropping out my attendance hasn't been very good, do student finance ever check this and will it stop my loan coming through at all?
I know this is very long but I have a lot of questions and the uni hasn't been very helpful in giving me advice and I'm really starting to panic about my options now. Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:
Original post by xjaynelambert
I've been at uni for about 2 months now and I've made the decision to drop out as neither the course or living away from home is for me. The only thing that is stopping me from dropping out now is that I have a tenancy agreement with my halls until the end of the uni year. They said that the only way I can get out of this is to find a replacement tenant but I've had no luck with this. It seems that my only option is to carry on at uni until Christmas, get my student loan for January to pay off my rent and then drop out. But my worries are if I drop out will I be made to pay my maintenance loan off straight away, and will it stop me from getting further loans if I want to restart uni again next year elsewhere? Also, because I am dropping out my attendance hasn't been very good, do student finance ever check this and will it stop my loan coming through at all?
I know this is very long but I have a lot of questions and the uni hasn't been very helpful in giving me advice and I'm really starting to panic about my options now. Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:

Moved into Student Financial Support.
Reply 2
Original post by xjaynelambert
It seems that my only option is to carry on at uni until Christmas, get my student loan for January to pay off my rent and then drop out.

The problem with that, is that SF will demand that installment back in full if you drop out immediately after getting it.

But my worries are if I drop out will I be made to pay my maintenance loan off straight away

Yes you will.

will it stop me from getting further loans if I want to restart uni again next year elsewhere?

If you owe SF money then they can either refuse to lend you more until it's repaid, or they will deduct it from your new funding (possibly leaving you with little or no Maintenance Loan for a term).

Also, because I am dropping out my attendance hasn't been very good, do student finance ever check this and will it stop my loan coming through at all?

No. SF has no interest in your attendance record unless it causes your uni to withdraw you from your course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending