The Student Room Group

Should I stay with 4 A-Levels?

I'm having a really difficult time deciding whether I should drop an A level or do all 4 and what subject to drop if I do. I do psychology, sociology, mathematics and photography. I still am not sure what I want to do in the future but I do know I wouldn't either want to go into a photography or psychology related career.

If I want to go into a photography related career I heard that it doesn't really matter if you have a degree in it or not as long as young have a good portfolio to hand in as a part for your CV.
In psychology I know you definetly need a degree to achieve a career in. I took sociology as it is obvious to think that the two go together well. However, is sociology a respected subject and will it help me if I choose to go the psychology career path?

Im really not sure what to do. On one hand I would like to drop sociology in case I want to do a photography career and need an A level, but on the other I would like to drop photography if sociology helps me get into university to do psychology OR I could stay with all 4 subjects but I'm not sure how hard It will be when we do A2.
If you want to go to uni then doing 4 A-levels is pointless, seeing as offers are largely made on the basis of 3 grades.
Reply 2
To me sociology and psychology seem like they are quite similar, although I don't do either so I'm not completely sure, but on that basis I'd personally drop sociology. If you want to go into psychology or photography you should have A levels in them and maths is a nice, well-respected A level so you should keep that too. However it all depends on how much you like each subject and how well you're performing.
You might be fine with 4 but it's not necessary and dropping one gives you so much extra time to focus on your remaining 3!

Quick Reply

Latest