The Student Room Group

Applying to Marine Biology

On behalf of friend:
Rather than taking A-Levels, I decided to take an Animal Management course (City and Guilds). My college told me that it's a widely appreciated course just like BTEC. I'm doing a level 3 extended diploma and expected to get a Distinction. I've been looking at universities in attempt to study Marine Biology/Zoology however majority of Universities I've contacted have told me that they don't accept the course as it isn't Biology enough. I'm now unsure on what to do, should I do a foundation year? If so what foundation year? Is there anything that would help me? E.g an access course? And is it still possible for me to go on to do Marine Biology/Zoology. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much! Willing to do any courses/university in the UK (as long as it's not absolutely dreadful)

Cheers! x
Original post by jemma12
On behalf of friend:
Rather than taking A-Levels, I decided to take an Animal Management course (City and Guilds). My college told me that it's a widely appreciated course just like BTEC. I'm doing a level 3 extended diploma and expected to get a Distinction. I've been looking at universities in attempt to study Marine Biology/Zoology however majority of Universities I've contacted have told me that they don't accept the course as it isn't Biology enough. I'm now unsure on what to do, should I do a foundation year? If so what foundation year? Is there anything that would help me? E.g an access course? And is it still possible for me to go on to do Marine Biology/Zoology. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much! Willing to do any courses/university in the UK (as long as it's not absolutely dreadful)

Cheers! x

Your friend could do a foundation year, but it would mean an extra year of tuition fee and maintenance loans, that's at least £15,000 of student debt - is it worth it? An Access to HE course is much, much cheaper; if you are 18 or below then there are no tuition fees; if you are over 19 then you can take out an Advanced Leader Loan to pay for it, and the loan is written off if you graduate from university. Access courses are accepted by pretty much every university, you could certainly use it to apply for a Biology/Zoology/Marine Biology degree.

If your friend knows exactly what university they want to go to, and they don't mind the extra student debt, then go for the foundation year. If your friend is not sure what course she wants to do (Zoology or Marine Biology?) then doing an Access course would give her time to research different courses thoroughly. This thread explains both options in more detail: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending