The Student Room Group

What should I take for A-Levels?

I'm thinking of going into Astronomy/ Astrophysics/ Physics, anything to do with physics really as I find it really interesting, but I don't know what subjects I should take in Sixth Form before University.
I know I have to take Physics and Maths, and I'm already really excited to be taking those subjects, but the Further Maths is only a Level 3 and not an AS or A2, so I don't see the entire point in taking it as the university I'm wanting to go to, and the course I'm wanting to take, doesn't take A-Level equivalents.
I am taking Criminology, as I find the subject interesting, but I may drop it in the first few weeks if the work is too much (as I'd be taking 4 A-Levels, it should be fine though), but I know I should probably take Chemistry as well.
The only problem is, Chemistry is my weaker science, I recently became home-schooled and my mum decided to have some of my exams in January, but the new home-schooling course is on a new exam board so I've had just over half a year to do two years of a whole Chemistry GCSE course. I don't think I'm going to do that well, with a high C- to high B. Another problem is I went to the college that I will be going to for Sixth Form, and I met the Chemistry teacher there, and he just seemed frustrating the whole time. He's unlike any teacher I'd ever had before and made it seem as if science wouldn't be my strong suit (although this could be down to sexism I don't know). I don't think I'd be able to take a whole two year course with him.
So, I just want to know if there are any other subjects you think I should take, or if you think I should just stick through Chemistry.
Thank you for helping me out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by exogenesismuse
I'm thinking of going into Astronomy/ Astrophysics/ Physics, anything to do with physics really as I find it really interesting, but I don't know what subjects I should take in Sixth Form before University.
I know I have to take Physics and Maths, and I'm already really excited to be taking those subjects, but the Further Maths is only a Level 3 and not an AS or A2, so I don't see the entire point in taking it as the university I'm wanting to go to, and the course I'm wanting to take, doesn't take A-Level equivalents.
I am taking Criminology, as I find the subject interesting, but I may drop it in the first few weeks if the work is too much (as I'd be taking 4 A-Levels, it should be fine though), but I know I should probably take Chemistry as well.
The only problem is, Chemistry is my weaker science, I recently became home-schooled and my mum decided to have some of my exams in January, but the new home-schooling course is on a new exam board so I've had just over half a year to do two years of a whole Chemistry GCSE course. I don't think I'm going to do that well, with a high C- to high B. Another problem is I went to the college that I will be going to for Sixth Form, and I met the Chemistry teacher there, and he just seemed frustrating the whole time. He's unlike any teacher I'd ever had before and made it seem as if science wouldn't be my strong suit (although this could be down to sexism I don't know). I don't think I'd be able to take a whole two year course with him.
So, I just want to know if there are any other subjects you think I should take, or if you think I should just stick through Chemistry.
Thank you for helping me out.

I haven't heard of this level 3 further maths qualification, could you give us some more information on it?

I don't think you should take Chemistry based on what you say. Maths, physics, (and further maths) are the main subjects for physics/astronomy at university. Take a third subject that you will enjoy and do well in.
I don't really know much about the Level 3 Qualification of Further Maths either, all I know is that the university I'm wanting to go to doesn't count any qualifications other than the standard A-Level, so no A-Level equivalents are counted, and the level three is like a pass, merit and distinction but slightly different. The other thing is I don't really know what other subjects I enjoy, I just tend to get on with most of my work, and I don't really have that many GCSEs to then go into Sixth Form with (I am taking seven: Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics and Psychology). So, I don't really know what else I should choose, I will stick with the Criminology as an extra (a fourth A-Level) but I wanted to know which of the other subjects would be the best. I get the Chemistry would be, and I would do it if the circumstances were different, but I don't know if I should choose Biology just because it's another Science which would look good (I do also enjoy Biology, especially the stuff on genetics, not so much the stuff on bodily functions like reproductive and digestive systems), or if I should take Psychology to match the Criminology because I do also enjoy a bit of Psychology (though the Psychology I enjoy most would be done in the Criminology course), or maybe take a different route altogether and take an English A-Level. Thank you for replying!

Quick Reply

Latest