The Student Room Group

Exam advice, please.

hye guys
I just start my AS levels and I am really worried about it . my main problem is that I cant be able to apply my knowledge in exam questions that's why I got very low grade in my mock test . I got D grade in biology and chemistry which is very low as I want to go in medicine and I need A grade for getting in this field .......D grade is vey low and I am very worried...hope you guys help me

I got a stars in gcses............... but in AS level I am ****ed up I cant do .............
I am struggling very hard any help ,advice is really appreciated hope you guys understand............

please help me .
what should I do I also looked past papers but still not be able to understand exam questions properly . ..........................
Your results at GCSE dont mean you're immediately going to be good at a level. Obviously it shows competency but the leap in skills and difficulty is so large people often lag behind at the start of their a levels so don't worry if it feels slow. If you can't retain the knowledge, chances are you're not revising properly. Find a method that works for you, revising the same way as you did at GCSE may not work. Also, practice makes perfect. Use your frees to nail exam technique and ask teachers to explain what the questions mean so you don't answer them wrong. The most important thing with a levels is efficency and effort, make sure you're doing good quality revision and make sure you're making time for your subjects. By the way, they say an A* at GCSE is a E at a level, so I wouldn't worry too much as there's always room to improve.
Original post by Qer
hye guys
I just start my AS levels and I am really worried about it . my main problem is that I cant be able to apply my knowledge in exam questions that's why I got very low grade in my mock test . I got D grade in biology and chemistry which is very low as I want to go in medicine and I need A grade for getting in this field .......D grade is vey low and I am very worried...hope you guys help me

I got a stars in gcses............... but in AS level I am ****ed up I cant do .............
I am struggling very hard any help ,advice is really appreciated hope you guys understand............

please help me .
what should I do I also looked past papers but still not be able to understand exam questions properly . ..........................

Just out of curiosity, are you an international student?

My best advice would be to continue looking at past papers. Of course you'll find it difficult at first- I did too! We all start by getting Ds because it's a big step up from GCSE, but the key is to keep familiarising yourself with the style of question they ask. You do this by looking at questions and checking the mark schemes so you understand the kind of answers they expect. Set yourself a past paper each week. In time you'll see an improvement.

Is there anything in particular you're having trouble with?
Reply 3
thanks
i will ask you about chemistry later when i study ......... hope you clear my all confusion when i ask
Reply 4
Original post by rosie.mn
Your results at GCSE dont mean you're immediately going to be good at a level. Obviously it shows competency but the leap in skills and difficulty is so large people often lag behind at the start of their a levels so don't worry if it feels slow. If you can't retain the knowledge, chances are you're not revising properly. Find a method that works for you, revising the same way as you did at GCSE may not work. Also, practice makes perfect. Use your frees to nail exam technique and ask teachers to explain what the questions mean so you don't answer them wrong. The most important thing with a levels is efficency and effort, make sure you're doing good quality revision and make sure you're making time for your subjects. By the way, they say an A* at GCSE is a E at a level, so I wouldn't worry too much as there's always room to improve.

thanks
when ever i my teachers give lecture i properly understood and make a note for it but in exams questions there is also many new things they asked that our teacher dontexplain that
Reply 5
Original post by QueenTbiomed
Just out of curiosity, are you an international student?

My best advice would be to continue looking at past papers. Of course you'll find it difficult at first- I did too! We all start by getting Ds because it's a big step up from GCSE, but the key is to keep familiarising yourself with the style of question they ask. You do this by looking at questions and checking the mark schemes so you understand the kind of answers they expect. Set yourself a past paper each week. In time you'll see an improvement.

Is there anything in particular you're having trouble with?

thanks
can i ask about my questions later whe i faced diffcuilties in them
Original post by Qer
thanks
can i ask about my questions later whe i faced diffcuilties in them

Yeah sure!
Reply 7
one thing I forget to mention that i cant be able to complete my test on time . i spend most of my time in thinking of single question
Reply 8
my teachers prefer me to buy oxford text book
is this book is good???
Reply 9
Original post by Qer
hye guys

please help me .

Don't worrying too much, you've still got time before exams.

Last year when I sat my biology A2 mocks, I got an E on both papers. I got an A grade overall in the end. My problem wasn't about knowing the knowledge, but knowing the best way to answer in order to achieve the marks.

What I did, and what I recommend you do, is do past exam questions(lots) and then mark them yourself using the mark schemes. This way you can get a better idea of what examiners are looking for when they mark your answers and therefore how you should be trying to answer in order to achieve higher marks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Aqa
Reply 11
Original post by Hutch28
Don't worrying too much, you've still got time before exams.

Last year when I sat my biology A2 mocks, I got an E on both papers. I got an A grade overall in the end. My problem wasn't about knowing the knowledge, but knowing the best way to answer in order to achieve the marks.

What I did, and what I recommend you do, is do past exam questions(lots) and then mark them yourself using the mark schemes. This way you can get a better idea of what examiners are looking for when they mark your answers and therefore how you should be trying to answer in order to achieve higher marks.

Thanks
I will do what you suggested me
Reply 12
It's weird... all the people who got A*s at GCSE are getting Ds and Cs now, but the people who got Bs and Cs at GCSE are getting As and Bs at A-level. Very interesting....

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by Aklaol
It's weird... all the people who got A*s at GCSE are getting Ds and Cs now, but the people who got Bs and Cs at GCSE are getting As and Bs at A-level. Very interesting....

Spoiler

😨 not 4 everyone
Reply 14
Hye
Can u send me link of cgp book as I found there is different types of books

Quick Reply

Latest