The Student Room Group

Help with A level choices

Hiya guys, I am in kind of a dilemma at the moment. I am doing Further Maths,Maths,Chemistry and Physics A-levels, and wanted to drop out of one by this month, but I just don't know which one I should drop, I have a reason for keeping or dropping each one of them, which makes my mind go on circles when trying to make a decision. What I would like to ask is whether keeping the History solely for the reason that I enjoy it(even though my essay writing skills are kinda crap) is worth it since I will probably do an engineering or computing degree at uni. If it is worth keeping it, which do you think I should drop?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by YasminSR
Hiya guys, I am in kind of a dilemma at the moment. I am doing Further Maths,Maths,Chemistry and Physics A-levels, and wanted to drop out of one by this month, but I just don't know which one I should drop, I have a reason for keeping or dropping each one of them, which makes my mind go on circles when trying to make a decision. What I would like to ask is whether keeping the History solely for the reason that I enjoy it(even though my essay writing skills are kinda crap) is worth it since I will probably do an engineering or computing degree at uni. If it is worth keeping it, which do you think I should drop?

History? You didn't mention that at the start. I would say drop FM as you will likely need some of Chem, Phys or Maths for the degree's you've mentioned whereas I'm not sure if further maths is required.
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
History? You didn't mention that at the start. I would say drop FM as you will likely need some of Chem, Phys or Maths for the degree's you've mentioned whereas I'm not sure if further maths is required.
Yeah but the universities I want to apply to they highly recommend it for all of those courses and because they are so competitive I do not want to be at a disadvantage, but thanks for the response :smile:
Yeah but the universities I want to apply to they highly recommend it for all of those courses and because they are so competitive I do not want to be at a disadvantage, but thanks for the response :smile:

So you are taking 5 A-levels ( Maths, FM, Chem, Phys and History)? What uni's require 4 A-levels and for what course are you applying for?

Btw even if a course is competitive doing more than the required A-levels doesn't put you in a better position.
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
So you are taking 5 A-levels ( Maths, FM, Chem, Phys and History)? What uni's require 4 A-levels and for what course are you applying for?

Btw even if a course is competitive doing more than the required A-levels doesn't put you in a better position.
Oh I think i didnt make it clear, i meant having further maths is an advantage for the courses i want to do at uni, not having 5 A levels.
Oh I think i didnt make it clear, i meant having further maths is an advantage for the courses i want to do at uni, not having 5 A levels.

Ah ok, fair enough. In that case i would drop History, Maths/Chem/Phys are pretty essential for Chem Eng/Computing degree i think, and if FM gives you an advantage i see no point in taking History.

Quick Reply

Latest