The Student Room Group

Travelling abroad next month. Is it worth looking for jobs now?

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by crematoria
I'm currently on a gap year before I head off to university. I have pretty much no work experience, so this gap year is an opportunity to get some in order to save money as well as boost my CV. At the moment, though, I still haven't got a job, which is my fault as I haven't really made much of a job hunting effort (due to procrastinating and focusing more on my UCAS application). It doesn't help that I don't know what I want to do career wise. I applied for a part-time retail position at Iceland but I'm not sure when (or if) they'll get back to me. I've also requested my employment advisor to arrange me an admin work placement for this month, as I want to improve my chances of getting admin/clerical work, which I'd prefer over retail (but I'm open to pretty much anything).

I will be travelling abroad during January and February, so is it worth looking for jobs now? I don't want this to interfere with my travel plans. I'd rather look for jobs more voraciously once my travels are over.

Many thanks.

Unless you spot any with a starting date for after your travels, it might be better to wait until after you're back... that said, as long as you're clear about your plans in the interview process, there's no real harm in looking now too - you might get lucky and find something that starts after you're back :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending