The Student Room Group

Becoming a Chartered Accountant

Hi
I'm in my 2nd year of A level studies and realised I can do more with my life than what I originally planned, so I looked into accountancy.

I found that there is a way of becoming a chartered accountant without even going to university, (school leaver programme).

If anyone knows the full process from finishing A levels to being fully qualified and having a legit job, please reply as I'm struggling to find all the information I need to know, such as - what will be the total cost of the process including the training agreement thing and is it an easier/equally effective route to becoming a chartered accountant than going to university.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Best place to start is to choose on of the big 4 accountancy firms in which you would like to work for, depending on your A Level grades you may be able to get a sponsored place at university (if you choose to go down that route) and work for the company in your holidays and gain relevant experience (aswell as be paid). Once finished they may decide to keep you on in which you will complete a further two years and at the end you should come out as a chartered accountant. That is probably the quickest and cheapest route. You could also join on as a school leaver, but please keep in mind these courses are incredibly competitive and as a result you will need to perform very well in your A levels along with interviews (often 3) with written tests. If you go down this route it will usually take between 4 - 6 years till you are fully qualified.

Honestly getting a sponsored place is a fantastic opportunity, you effectively get paid to go to university. Keep in mind that you will need to get accepted into some of the big business universities such as Durham, Bath, Warwick for them to accept you.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying.

Say I went down the school leaver route and managed to get like AAB with an A in maths, where would I start and where do I look?

This is because I've already applied to uni for other courses and I want to avoid taking a gap year.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know that KPMG do a very attractive school leavers program. Its worth going around the big 4 (KPMG, PwC, Deloitte's and Ernst Young). They will have details about their school leavers program. You will have to write an application and probably take an online test. If successful you will be invited for an interview. No sure when they open or close, but I imagine very soon
Reply 4
Thanks, this has helped me out a lot and I appreciate it.

I'm looking into the school leaver programmes now and they seem tough but rewarding.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in the accountancy business?

Quick Reply

Latest