The Student Room Group

Practicing law in the US with an English law degree.

I am an 18 yr old A level student and
I don't understand the question here?

Is the question, can you study law in the USA with a British / English degree?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes but it's difficult. The USA has a de-centralized government with the individual states (and District of Columbia) each having their own BOLE - Board of Law Examiners. If you want to practice law in the USA there are several criteria one must meet to the particular state in which you want to practice. There are currently only 8 states that allow foreign-educated individuals to sit for the bar. New York and California seem to be the popular choices for British educated individuals. Some BOLEs have reciprocity with other states and some don't. Meaning that if you pass the bar in NY you could practice in another state that has reciprocity. California does not seem to have reciprocity with many states, unfortunately.

Even if you are allowed to sit the bar, you cannot practice law anywhere in the USA unless you are a citizen, permanent resident or are sponsored on a visa, such as the H1-B. There are many, many other stipulations. If it's what you're determined to do then it certainly is possible. There are no short-cuts to be had. For example, NY may require you to take an additional course for an LLM degree depending on how your legal education / credentials translated. If you have been admitted to the Bar in England and have been practicing law there is a different set of criteria for you than if you have just passed your exams for an LLB, for example.

I am a dual citizen enrolled in law school in the UK and US. When I have completed my studies, training contract and bar exam I will have a JD and LLB and I be able to practice law England/Wales and California.

See also:
https://www.thebalance.com/practice-law-in-the-us-with-a-foreign-law-degree-4019033
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/law-school/639996-whats-the-route-to-become-a-lawyer-in-the-us-with-an-english-law-degree.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending