The Student Room Group

In the market for something 5 series sized...

Currently drive a 180bhp Ford Mondeo. Value £2k. I'm looking to take a jump up in terms of bhp, size and luxury. I've got £10k of my dosh (so £12k all in), but if I can spend less than will do. Will buy on condition rather than mileage, that said I'm keen to stay under 125k. Shortlist is:

BMW 530D (F10)- 2010 plate, high milers for £12k. 245bhp

Audi A6 C6 3.0TDI Quattro. 2007 to 2009 is 230 bhp (£8k). 2009 facelift is 242 bhp and £10k

Yes, it is a short short list :biggrin: Deliberately omitted the E class, it's far too common as a taxi now (yes from the guy with a Mondeo).

I don't specifically want a diesel, but big petrol execs are few and far between and really do command a premium. What ever I get, I am keen to remap to 290bhp+
Original post by Drex50
Currently drive a 180bhp Ford Mondeo. Value £2k. I'm looking to take a jump up in terms of bhp, size and luxury. I've got £10k of my dosh (so £12k all in), but if I can spend less than will do. Will buy on condition rather than mileage, that said I'm keen to stay under 125k. Shortlist is:

Audi A6 C6 3.0TDI Quattro. 2007 to 2009 is 230 bhp (£8k). 2009 facelift is 242 bhp and £10k

Yes, it is a short short list :biggrin: Deliberately omitted the E class, it's far too common as a taxi now (yes from the guy with a Mondeo).

I don't specifically want a diesel, but big petrol execs are few and far between and really do command a premium. What ever I get, I am keen to remap to 290bhp+

Based on your budget and choices:

- 2011/12 Jaguar XF
- Peugeot 508?
- Audi A5(Very nice car) , A8
-Mercedes Benz: CLS or S with decent example around the £10-11k mark
- Volkswagen Passat; latest model 9k mark

The Big 3 German manufacturers pretty much rule over the executive car market. So if you want one it's either: the 5, the E or the A6 and if those don't meet your requirements you pretty much have to move up e.g. S Class, 7, A8 or go down e.g. C Class, 3 Series or A4.

How about a Range Rover or something jeep like?
Reply 2
Original post by AtheClassicMan
Based on your budget and choices:

- 2011/12 Jaguar XF
- Peugeot 508?
- Audi A5(Very nice car) , A8
-Mercedes Benz: CLS or S with decent example around the £10-11k mark
- Volkswagen Passat; latest model 9k mark

The Big 3 German manufacturers pretty much rule over the executive car market. So if you want one it's either: the 5, the E or the A6 and if those don't meet your requirements you pretty much have to move up e.g. S Class, 7, A8 or go down e.g. C Class, 3 Series or A4.

How about a Range Rover or something jeep like?

Good shout on the A5 and the CLS, didn't think about XF either.

Passat and Peugeot 508 don't have the performance I'm looking for

Not really a fan of 4 x 4s, I'd certainly need a powerful range rover to get the same kind of acceleration as a 290bhp saloon :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Drex50

Have you considered a Lexus?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by M451
Have you considered a Lexus?

No but I should!

What model suits me best? I know little about these
Original post by Drex50

Try looking for japanese luxury cars like Lexus GS400 Hybrid, It has plenty of power and these cars are extremely reliable. Try to import a Japanese luxury car from Japan, like Toyota Celsior, Toyota Crown Majesta v8, Nissan Gloria Gran Tourismo, these are very high tech and reliable cars as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
Try looking for japanese luxury cars like Lexus GS400 Hybrid, It has plenty of power and these cars are extremely reliable. Try to import a Japanese luxury car from Japan, like Toyota Celsior, Toyota Crown Majesta v8, Nissan Gloria Gran Tourismo, these are very high tech and reliable cars as well.

Original post by Drex50
No but I should!

What model suits me best? I know little about these

I guess someone beat me to it. For Lexus, the IS is 3 series sized, the GS 5 series, and the LS 7 series. I believe all are currently available as petrols and hybrids, the IS also as a diesel. The GS450h from the model years you're looking at produces over 290bhp stock but I don't know how one would go about squeezing more out of a hybrid. As far as I've read it's neigh on impossible but they're certainly luxurious.

I don't know exactly how much you value economy but if it isn't an issue then you could potentially jump to an LS 460. This isn't a hybrid, just a 4.6l V8 kicking out 375bhp. As you'd expect, economy is appalling. As far as I know, this is the Toyota Celsior mentioned above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending