The Student Room Group

Can I get into ComSci without Further Maths?

Hello everyone

I'm from Singapore and our local examining authority (SEAB-CIE) doesn't offer Further Maths as an A level subject.

I take biology, chemistry, maths and economics, will I be disadvantaged if I don't offer Further Maths when I apply to read computer science at Cambridge?
(edited 7 years ago)
Nope it's not necessary to have further maths to do computer science, i have applied to computer science with Physics ,maths and ICT and i have got offers from uni's as long as you have maths it should be fine
Original post by Rockyboy
Nope it's not necessary to have further maths to do computer science, i have applied to computer science with Physics ,maths and ICT and i have got offers from uni's as long as you have maths it should be fine

What are you predicted? And what unis have given you offers?
Original post by anonmouse221
Hello everyone

I'm from Singapore and our local examining authority (SEAB-CIE) doesn't offer Further Maths as an A level subject.

I take biology, chemistry, maths and economics, will I be disadvantaged if I don't offer Further Maths when I apply to read computer science at Cambridge?

In all likelihood, yes. The Comp Sci course is rapidly growing in terms of applicant numbers but the number of places is staying fairly constant. Most applicants will have done Further Maths and so you will be competing against these people when doing the admissions test and interview, both of which are heavily maths focused.
Reply 4
Hello everyone

Yeah - as long as you get normal maths you're fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hello everyone

Cambridge itself says: "Further mathematics to AS or A-level is highly desirable, although we recognise that not all schools currently offer it."
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/entry/

So, if your exam board doesn't offer it you will not be disadvantaged. You also have the opportunity to mention that issue in the SAQ when you apply.
Original post by MajorFader
What are you predicted? And what unis have given you offers?

My predicted is AAB so far i have got offers from Kings College London, Surrey and Brunnel :biggrin:
Good luck to you I really hope you meet your offers. What were the other unis you applied to?

Thanks, the other unis that i applied to was queen Mary and Brighton
What were your overall GCSE grades like? Maths and sciences in particular?

May i ask why u r asking this. i'm just curious why you want to know this.
I got 1A*, 5A 3B and 1C

Maths - A*
Science (double science) - A,B
Original post by Rockyboy
May i ask why u r asking this. i'm just curious why you want to know this.
I got 1A*, 5A 3B and 1C

Maths - A*
Science (double science) - A,B

I'm just curious you know.
I'm just curious you know.

R u applying to uni ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending