The Student Room Group

are these good a level/btec subjects for nursing?

Biology, psychology and btec health and social care level 3.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emerald7770
Biology, psychology and btec health and social care level 3.

yes they're acceptable

chemistry a-level would be better preparation than the btec I think
Original post by KyleH123
yes they're acceptable

chemistry a-level would be better preparation than the btec I think

Really? I mean, i want to pick subjects that will benefit my nursing degree. Chemistry is more beneficial for medicine, i think. I don't know. What do you think?
Really? I mean, i want to pick subjects that will benefit my nursing degree. Chemistry is more beneficial for medicine, i think. I don't know. What do you think?

Biology and Chemistry would give you a very solid scientific background for nursing, which is arguably one of the hardest elements of the course.

There is a significant amount of medicine in nursing
Yes I think they are perfect for nursing. They will usually expect you to do Biology, but they don't require any other particular subject. Although, in my experience they do prefer you to have subjects such as psychology, sociology, health and social care etc.

I advise you to take Biology and two other subjects you think you'll enjoy and do well in. Don't just take them because you think they'll be better to get into uni with if you know you're not going to like them.
Original post by KyleH123
Biology and Chemistry would give you a very solid scientific background for nursing, which is arguably one of the hardest elements of the course.

There is a significant amount of medicine in nursing

Oh wow, never knew that. Thanks a lot. I will definitely consider chemistry! :biggrin:
Oh wow, never knew that. Thanks a lot. I will definitely consider chemistry! :biggrin:

Original post by amelia__xo
Yes I think they are perfect for nursing. They will usually expect you to do Biology, but they don't require any other particular subject. Although, in my experience they do prefer you to have subjects such as psychology, sociology, health and social care etc.

I advise you to take Biology and two other subjects you think you'll enjoy and do well in. Don't just take them because you think they'll be better to get into uni with if you know you're not going to like them.

that is also very important

This is really true. I do enjoy biology so i guess it's perfect. I'm just hoping i don't fail biology or psychology because I've seen past papers and they look super duper difficult. Afraid i'll lose sleep over this and fail. Anyways, thanks so so much! :smile: xx
This is really true. I do enjoy biology so i guess it's perfect. I'm just hoping i don't fail biology or psychology because I've seen past papers and they look super duper difficult. Afraid i'll lose sleep over this and fail. Anyways, thanks so so much! :smile: xx

I did maths and chemistry last year and dropped them both to pick up sociology this year. I absolutely love it so I'd recommend it for you to consider. It's alot to remember but easy to get your head around and quite interesting.

I also do Biology and Theology so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

I've currently got two childrens nursing interviews and waiting on responses from two other universities so hopefully I'll get a place!
I did maths and chemistry last year and dropped them both to pick up sociology this year. I absolutely love it so I'd recommend it for you to consider. It's alot to remember but easy to get your head around and quite interesting.

I also do Biology and Theology so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

I've currently got two childrens nursing interviews and waiting on responses from two other universities so hopefully I'll get a place!

I would pick sociology but i only got a C for gcse sociology. I got an A* for one exam and f/e for the other two. We did this thing called pre-release and that made me only get the c when i was getting straight A's throughout the whole year. And is biology difficult?

I really hope you get a place, i'm sure you'll do great in your interview aswell :biggrin:
Reply 10
Check the entry requirements for the unis you may consider applying to. Some may ask for certain subjects etc.
I would pick sociology but i only got a C for gcse sociology. I got an A* for one exam and f/e for the other two. We did this thing called pre-release and that made me only get the c when i was getting straight A's throughout the whole year. And is biology difficult?

I really hope you get a place, i'm sure you'll do great in your interview aswell :biggrin:

I'd say it was alot easier than maths and chemistry to be honest. As long as you do lots of practice questions you'll be fine. The only difficult parts are application questions because they just throw random problems at you and you're just like what has this got to do with anything???

To be honest though, as long as you do biology I don't really think that subject choices will matter that much. They're more interested in your work experience. I strongly reccomend you start to think about which branch of nursing you'd like to go into and do some work experience thats appropriate to that branch.
Original post by Airmed
Check the entry requirements for the unis you may consider applying to. Some may ask for certain subjects etc.

Most of them don't say a preferred subject
I'd say it was alot easier than maths and chemistry to be honest. As long as you do lots of practice questions you'll be fine. The only difficult parts are application questions because they just throw random problems at you and you're just like what has this got to do with anything???

To be honest though, as long as you do biology I don't really think that subject choices will matter that much. They're more interested in your work experience. I strongly reccomend you start to think about which branch of nursing you'd like to go into and do some work experience thats appropriate to that branch.

Yeah, i want to do child nursing so i will start experience in a nursery?
Thank you. I'm actually better at coursework but i'm still good at exams :smile:
Yeah, i want to do child nursing so i will start experience in a nursery?

Yeh that'd be good! Also, if possible you could look into experience at a hospital or you could become a staff member for something like NCS as they like you to have experience with a range of ages.
Yeh that'd be good! Also, if possible you could look into experience at a hospital or you could become a staff member for something like NCS as they like you to have experience with a range of ages.

I don't know if experience at a hospital is possible if you're only 16, my teacher told me once but my local GP does work experience? Would that also be good? And ooh that's good, i might just do that :smile:
Btec childcare? Every university's entry requirements for nursing don't accept childcare.
I don't know if experience at a hospital is possible if you're only 16, my teacher told me once but my local GP does work experience? Would that also be good? And ooh that's good, i might just do that :smile:

Yeh that'd be fine I would imagine! As long as it's in a healthcare environment.
Yeh that'd be fine I would imagine! As long as it's in a healthcare environment.

Great! Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest