The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The abattoir I went too had a hungarian Vet, this is scary.

Although I have seen few foreign vets in practice.
ive seen a french one and another foreign one.
i spose out of the three vets ive seen 2 are foreign
Reply 22
I had heard there was a shortage of British vets, and I know my local practice have spent ages trying to find a vet and just can't find anyone that fits their bill...

I've heard mixed things from vets about it. Most of them I spoke to about Nottingham before applying said that it was really exciting, actually.

I'm getting a bit fed up with people who seem to think since it doesn't have RCVS accreditation now that it never will have. I'm SURE they know what they're doing - they wouldn't let them spend that much if they didn't know what they're doing!!
I'm actually really worried that when I graduate I'll get looked down on as a vet because that's where I qualified. But -everywhere- was a new vet school at some point, plus the people there know what they're doing. I just hope the wider veterinary community will see that.
Have they got 3 yrs of students now?
So is there currently a shortage,surpluss or ideal number of vets?

I heard graduate positions were quite difficult to find but that may only be that fewer places are willing to take on graduates.
Eh? Everyones got to start sometime!
Reply 26
I've always been told there's a shortage of vets. And isn't there meant to be some problem where, because most vet students are women, there comes a stage where many of them go off to have kids and don't return to work? Can't honestly remember where I heard that now, may or may not be true?
Reply 27
Yea I have also heard that, i think it was at my liverpool interview although im not sure.
Yeah they mentioned that to me in my Nottingham interview and the farmer I lambed with certainly had alot to say about it!

I only thought that because some uni graduates I spoke to were finding it difficult to get a job. And I know alot of graduates have to move away from where they lived or studied to find employment.
They could have me any day, I'd never have a sprog. Never Ever ever ever evah!

Why is it that there are mostly girls now doing it, what is it about veterinary that makes it more attractive to girls?
Reply 30
r.e. earlier post: It was decided at work loooong ago that if/when I had children they'd probably end up being feral, and would more than likely have to go everywhere in a trailer.
I wouldn't be THAT mean, but they'd certainly have to pitch in!! :wink:

I don't really understand the whole girly thing either. The parts of veterinary that I like are not at ALL girly. I LOVE getting filthy, doing large animal work, being outside all day working hard, I find the actual surgery interesting...
a fair few friends of mine have fallen at hurdles like surgery - many have fainted and have had to be scraped up off the floor again!
Sarah_V

I don't really understand the whole girly thing either. The parts of veterinary that I like are not at ALL girly. I LOVE getting filthy, doing large animal work, being outside all day working hard, I find the actual surgery interesting...

i completely aggree with that

Latest

Trending

Trending