The Student Room Group

How to make a spreadsheet to track revision and progress?

Preferably on google docs, but edexcel would do.

I want to make a revision tracker to track my progress to revise for my A-Levels. I read this on a TSR article:

"I'm not one for making and sticking to timetables, but I found this actually really worked. I drew up a table in Excel and had columns for Subject, Date, Topic, Number of Hours Studied, Cumulative Number of Hours Studied for that Subject, Next Topic to Revise. I even colour-coded each subject so I could see how much I had done for each, at a glance. The benefit of doing this was that I could directly compare the number of hours I'd spent revising one subject to another, and which one I should spend longer on. Of course, some subjects may require more hours of revision than others, but I found this to be a good guide. (britchick)"

I really want to do that but not entirely sure how to achieve the culmative hours etc without having to calculate it all manually. Spreadsheets aren't my strong point at all!
If I was going to do a spreadsheet with the columns outlined in your post, then I would use a stopwatch to time the number of hours I'd done. For example, start the stopwatch at the beginning of revision for a topic, then stop it at the end and put the number of hours you worked for in the Number of Hours Studied column. Then do the same for each new topic you do, regularly updating the Cumulative Number of Hours Studied column for the overall subject the topics belong to, either using a calculator or spreadsheet formula, i.e. =sum([cell containing most recent cumulative number of hours])+([cell containing most recent number of hours studied]) then press Enter.

I've attached a couple of images of an example spreadsheet I created in Google Sheets to try and illustrate what I mean about the formula, i.e. what you'd put in and the result you get. I hope that makes some sense! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest