The Student Room Group

My Journey to Vet School

Scroll to see replies

Loving this thread and Good Luck on your journey to becoming a Vet. I am currently doing gcses but will probably come back to this thread next year. Did you drop A level maths?
Original post by buzzyambee
Hey, your notes are so pretty :h:
I'm a hopeful vet (but in year 11) so will defo be following this blog!

Aw thank you :smile: good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions about work experience or the application process :smile:
Original post by PursuingMedicine
Loving this thread and Good Luck on your journey to becoming a Vet. I am currently doing gcses but will probably come back to this thread next year. Did you drop A level maths?

Thanks, good luck to you too! Yes I did, I felt more confident that I could get an A in psychology than maths at A2 and as only Cambridge required maths at A2 I thought it would be best to drop it :smile:
Original post by VittoriaAnna
Thanks, good luck to you too! Yes I did, I felt more confident that I could get an A in psychology than maths at A2 and as only Cambridge required maths at A2 I thought it would be best to drop it :smile:

Oh right that sounds great!:smile:
GOALS FOR HALF TERM

This morning I saw an advert for a free trial on a website with a series of biology videos that I thought I would try. The trial only lasts for one week so I am going to focus on biology for the majority of the week in order to make the most of this tool.

Below is a list of things that I hope to complete during half term:

[ x ] biology homework- research gene therapy- completed 12/2
[ ] chemistry homework- make notes on factors affecting born haberdashery cycles and look at Gibbs free energy
[ ] psychology- start glossary of key terms for clinical psychology
[ ] psychology- make notes on schizophrenia and finish anorexia notes
[ ] biology- watch all videos and make notes on weak areas for A2/AS
[ ] chemistry- revise reaction mechanisms, organic chemistry and finish notes on AS 4.1

Today I was feeling super motivated and managed 8 hours of A2 biology revision! I tried a new method of revising today by using a series of online videos. I started by making notes as I watched the video, pausing if I needed time to catch up or to think about what I was hearing. I am then planning on writing all my notes from the videos up in neat to use as revision resources, as I always find last minute cramming much easier when my notes are pretty!

I wrote up my notes on plant hormones and electrophoresis in neat, however, as I only have access to the videos for one week I am going to make the most of them by taking rough notes on as many topics as I can and then rewriting them later on to refresh my memory.

Today the topics I covered were:

plant hormones

transcription

transcription factors

secondary messengers (cAMP)

homeobox genes

apoptosis

inheritance key terms

DNA profiling

isolating target genes

inserting target genes

polymerase chain reaction (PCR)

electrophoresis

gene therapy- this was my homework so I killed two birds with one stone!

summary of gene technology

succession

types of succession

Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
mathsquestion.jpgmathsquestion.jpgmathsquestion.jpgmathsquestion.jpg
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
GOALS FOR HALF TERM

This morning I saw an advert for a free trial on a website with a series of biology videos that I thought I would try. The trial only lasts for one week so I am going to focus on biology for the majority of the week in order to make the most of this tool.

[ ] chemistry homework- make notes on factors affecting born haber cycles and look at Gibbs free energy
[ ] psychology- start glossary of key terms for clinical psychology
[ ] chemistry- revise reaction mechanisms, organic chemistry and finish notes on AS 4.1

UPDATE- 14/02/17

Although I haven't managed as much revision over the past 2 days as I had hoped to do, I completed another 5 hours. During this time I watched the videos and made notes on the following topics:

monohybrid inheritance

dihybrid inheritance

codominance and multiple alleles

autosomal linkage

sex linkage

epistasis

normal phenotypic ratios

variation

tomorrow I plan to finish watching all the videos and making notes on the 'patterns of inheritance' topic. This includes the following:

meiosis and genetic variation

random fertilisation

directional and stabilising selection

genetic bottlenecks and the founder effect

genetic drift

population key terms

the hardy-weinberg principle

speciation

artificial selection

If i have time after completing these areas, I am also going to try and complete my psychology homework, as this shouldn't take too long.
GOALS FOR HALF TERM

[ x ] biology homework- genetic engineering exam questions- completed 15/2
[ ] chemistry homework- make notes on factors affecting born haber cycles and look at Gibbs free energy
[ x ] psychology- start glossary of key terms for clinical psychology- completed 15/2

UPDATE- 15/2

Today I finished all of my notes for the videos on genetic inheritance. the topics I covered were:

meiosis and genetic variation

random fertilisation

directional and stabilising selection

genetic bottlenecks and the founder effect

genetic drift

population key terms

the hardy-weinberg principle

speciation

artificial selection

I also managed to start my glossary for clinical psychology, which I am doing in the form of flashcards, as it will make it easier to put the definitions in alphabetical order as new words are added, and I can also remove the words I have learnt closer to the exam until they have all been learnt.

Finally, I completed the exam questions for biology on genetic engineering. I found that watching the videos on this topic helped me understand the concepts better, so i found it much easier to answer the questions.

So far I have completed 17.5 hours of revision.
UPDATE-17/02

I have got off to a productive start today by completing 2 hours fo AS biology revision. In this time I continued to watch the online videos and make rough notes, which I will then copy up in neat at a later date, which will also act as a review of the content.
I completed the whole section on transport in animals, and the topics I covered were:

blood vessels

formation and return of tissue fluid

the mammalian heart

electrocardiograms (ECG)

abnormal heart activity

haemoglobin

bohr shift/ fetal haemoglobin

comparing haemoglobin in different species

17/02:

This afternoon I continued making biology notes from the videos, again focussing on AS biology. I completed the topic 4.1.1 Communicable diseases, disease prevention and the immune system. The areas I covered were:

viruses

HIV/ AIDS

phagocytosis

the imune system

antibodies

primary response

secondary response

vaccines

antigenic variability

active vs. passive immunity.

I have now completed a total of 20 hours biology revision this week, with an hour of chemistry and 2 hours of psychology.
GOALS FOR HALF TERM

[ x ] biology homework- genetic engineering exam questions- completed 15/2
[ x ] chemistry homework- make notes on factors affecting born haber cycles and look at Gibbs free energy- completed 19/2
[ x ] psychology- start glossary of key terms for clinical psychology- completed 15/2
[ x ] biology- watch all videos and make notes on weak areas for A2/AS- completed 19/2

UPDATE-18/2

Today I continued with my biology notes, and watched videos and made notes on the following topics for AS biology-

biodiversity

farming and biodiversity

investigating biodiversity

nucleic acids

DNA replication

transcription

translation

ATP

DNA

DNA, genes and chromosomes

gene mutations

mitosis

UPDATE- 19/02

Today I finished my trial of the online biology videos by covering meiosis and genetic variation within meiosis. I did not watch the remaining videos as I felt that I would be able to revise those areas with my book and teachers, and did not need the video to explain any processes. etc.

I also completed by chemistry homework by making notes on factors affecting enthalpy and reading ahead about Gibbs free energy

Although I did not complete much chemistry revision, I will be focussing on thsi next week. AS I only had access to the biology videos for this week, I thought it would make sense to get through as many as I could in order to make the most of them. As a result, I will complete more chemistry revision next week. At a later date I am then planning on writing all my rough biology notes up in neat to reinforce the information. I also plan to do the same with chemistry and psychology.

As the exams get nearer I will also look through past questions. However, as the spec is new and some topics have been added, there are limited questions so I want to save these for closer to the exam.

Overall, I am happy with how much work I have completed this week, and I feel that I still had time to do things such as see friends and relax, which is important for maintaining a healthy balance. My revision is now going to be starting properly, with 2 hours planned each night, in addition to my study periods at school. On weekends I will aim for 4-6 hours, gradually increasing as exams get nearer.

I have made a revision timetable on getrevising and have one copy stuck on my door, and one with me at school. I find this helps keep me motivated as sometimes I can feel so overwhelmed I don't know what to revise, so having this structure in place is something that helps. I try not to get to caught up on it, however, as sometimes some of my planned sessions are not possible due to last minute homework/ plans etc. If this is the case I try and substitute the session somewhere else.

(edited 7 years ago)
UPDATE- 7/3/17

Today I started revising AS psychology by focussing on social psychology. This is an area I feel I understand well, it is just a case fo refreshing my memory. I have a good set of notes typed up from last year that cover the whole specification for social psychology, but instead of just revising by reading these notes, I am using a booklet of grids to summarise theories, studies and evaluations etc. for the whole topic. I used this same grid last year and found that filling it in by hand helped it stick in my memory. i started by filling it in by memory, then used my notes and textbook to add additional information. I found this really helpful last year, so I am planning on making a similar booklet for all the rest of the topics in psychology, to easily summarise key theories and studies.

Today I revised Milgram's Agency Theory, all of the variations of Milgram's obedience study (telephonic, run down office block, ordinary man and the variants in the original study), Social Impact Theory, and personality as a factor affecting obedience.
UPDATE: I got AAB and will be studying veterinary medicine at Surrey in September!!
UPDATE: I got AAB and will be studying veterinary medicine at Surrey in September!!

welllll donneee :smile:

Woohoo! Many congratulations :biggrin: Best of luck for September, you will have a great time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending