The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by Zenobia
But you you don't need to know a foreign language to study abroad lol; although it would be polite to make an attempt at it while you're there! And foreign universities can be a lot cheaper, while they are equally ranked in the top 10 of Europe amongst British Universities.

I have to disagree. Even if English is the medium of instruction in class, it will be very difficult to socialize with the locals without having a fairly advanced knowledge of their language. People in Europe do speak English to various levels of proficiency, but when it comes to making friends outside of the classroom not knowing French, German, Dutch, etc. is a huge handicap. There is a huge gap between being able to speak about what you know best in professional/academic contexts and being able to make small talk in bars without awkwardness.

Also, scholarships and loans often do not cover study abroad so the cost of attending a foreign university is actually higher even if it charges lower fees. Finally, the cost of living in Western Europe is at least as high as in the UK.
(edited 12 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Ghost6
I have to disagree. Even if English is the medium of instruction in class, it will be very difficult to socialize with the locals without having a fairly advanced knowledge of their language. People in Europe do speak English to various levels of proficiency, but when it comes to making friends outside of the classroom not knowing French, German, Dutch, etc. is a huge handicap. There is a huge gap between being able to speak about what you know best in professional/academic contexts and being able to make small talk in bars without awkwardness.

Not in Scandinavia - everybody speaks English, at least everybody under the age of 45.
Reply 1062
Original post by redflipflop
Did anyone else get an email about the new Mica and Ahmet Ertegun Scholarships? Anybody going for it? It sounds amazing, but I have absolutely no idea what to write for it!

Hehe yea, I applied right away when I got the mail a week ago. Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 1063
Original post by janjanmmm
Not in Scandinavia - everybody speaks English, at least everybody under the age of 45.

I know at several Swedish people, and while they speak English well and have rather mild accents, they are still far from being able to speak it with the fluency and confidence of a native speaker or long time US/UK resident. But it is not their inability to speak English to its fullest extent that is the problem, it is your lack of Swedish skills that will severely limit your social opportunities.
Original post by Humberto
Hehe yea, I applied right away when I got the mail a week ago. Good luck with your application :smile:

Thanks! Good luck to you too! And anyone else who's applied for it
Original post by redflipflop
Did anyone else get an email about the new Mica and Ahmet Ertegun Scholarships? Anybody going for it? It sounds amazing, but I have absolutely no idea what to write for it!

Hah, yes, I only just read the email yesterday! It does sound good, but like you I'm a little stumped for what to say - answering how the degree will "prepare [me] to make a contribution to society"... it's such a vague question! :s-smilie:

(And whilst studying for an English MSt might somehow help me make a contribution to academia, I'm not really sure I can argue it will benefit society at large! This is the old 'justify your research' problem, I think...)
Original post by Ms Kooky
Hah, yes, I only just read the email yesterday! It does sound good, but like you I'm a little stumped for what to say - answering how the degree will "prepare [me] to make a contribution to society"... it's such a vague question! :s-smilie:

(And whilst studying for an English MSt might somehow help me make a contribution to academia, I'm not really sure I can argue it will benefit society at large! This is the old 'justify your research' problem, I think...)

Exactly! I was going to prattle on about how historians learn about past societies and that this could help me with future society but I got to 200 words of this and realised that it was possibly the most stupid thing I've ever written.

So now like you I'm just taking it as a 'justify your degree' question. Best of luck to you!
Reply 1067
Original post by Zenobia
But you you don't need to know a foreign language to study abroad lol; although it would be polite to make an attempt at it while you're there! And foreign universities can be a lot cheaper, while they are equally ranked in the top 10 of Europe amongst British Universities.

That said, I came to Britain A. Because I study something obscure and did not have a lot of choice in Holland and B. Because I wanted to experience a different culture. Two reasons that could be applicable to British students too.

But a) we have the best universities in Europe still, b) the best continental schools all use their native tongues, from what I know.
Reply 1068
Original post by Noldorin
But a) we have the best universities in Europe still, b) the best continental schools all use their native tongues, from what I know.

Besides Oxbridge, no. And no.
Reply 1069
Original post by Zenobia
Besides Oxbridge, no. And no.

You sound like an ignorant everyman. Have a look at the league tables, for a start. Britain has a number of excellent institutions other than Oxbridge. To name a few:

Imperial College London
- Consistently the best university for engineering in Europe. Also top/world-class for the physical/life sciences, computer science, and medicine.
- ETH Zurich is probably the only European school that gives it a run for its money in science and engineering.

University College London
- World-class university in a number of subjects, particularly the social sciences, humanities, and medicine.

London School of Economics
- Undoubtedly the best university in Europe for economics and also finance/business studies.
- Probably 2nd in the world in what it does only to University of Chicago.

Those are the most internationally well-known perhaps, but I fail to mention other great universities, including Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh, Bath, etc.

Finally, Oxford and Cambridge are old and elitist and very famous -- often the best in many subjects, but not every, or not by a long chalk! They are our two best, but it's very wrong to discount the other world-class institutions.
Reply 1070
Original post by Knisper
There is no translation for the "game" element, you just wouldn't say that in Dutch.
I would say something like: "het wachten is (erg) vervelend" (the waiting is (very) nerving) or, stronger, "ik word gek van het wachten" (I am becoming mad because of the waiting, literally).
Don't know if the other Dutch people agree with this?

(sorry for taking all your places btw :wink: but you are free to apply to Dutch universities too!)

Hehe, thanks. ;-) I might have spent some time in Delft actually, if I had the chance. I hear it is very good for my field. Lectures in English too, if I remember right.
Reply 1071
Original post by Noldorin
You sound like an ignorant everyman. Have a look at the league tables, for a start. Britain has a number of excellent institutions other than Oxbridge. To name a few:

Imperial College London
- Consistently the best university for engineering in Europe. Also top/world-class for the physical/life sciences, computer science, and medicine.
- ETH Zurich is probably the only European school that gives it a run for its money in science and engineering.

University College London
- World-class university in a number of subjects, particularly the social sciences, humanities, and medicine.

London School of Economics
- Undoubtedly the best university in Europe for economics and also finance/business studies.
- Probably 2nd in the world in what it does only to University of Chicago.

Those are the most internationally well-known perhaps, but I fail to mention other great universities, including Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh, Bath, etc.

Finally, Oxford and Cambridge are old and elitist and very famous -- often the best in many subjects, but not every, or not by a long chalk! They are our two best, but it's very wrong to discount the other world-class institutions.

Don't call me ignorant.

Of course I am familiar with the league tables. If you look at the top 10 European universities, 3-5 are British (depending which list you follow). Although that is comparatively a majority, it definitely does not cover the top 10. If you are going to look at specific subjects you will find that many other European universities to frequently rank higher than British universities, i.e. TU Delft has won the World Solar Challenge on several occasions; this year they were 2nd, with Twente in 5th place - while Cambridge came in 25th this year, and Durham 33. Plus, that is 2 teams from both countries while the Netherlands is both significantly smaller and has less universities.

Oxbridge is only valued more than other British or other European universities because it is more well-known; i.e. Durham has ranked higher in Archaeology than Oxbridge but still its name is not very famous internationally. As you say yourself: do not discount other world-class institutions, also not those outside of Britain.

ANYWAY leaving all that to the side - would you really pick a university's ranking on a (rather vague tbh) list over where and what you truly want to study? Durham attracts many Medieval historians because of its rich Medieval history; similarly, volcanologists should not be hesitant to go study in Iceland. If you can't afford 9000 pounds a year, move to Germany. With the amount of great universities there are, the quality of the education is really up to yourself at some point. Cumont was an incredibly famous archaeologist, and he graduated with a PhD from Ghent, Belgium. Moreover, academics (anywhere in the world) are generally quite clever: they can speak English.
Reply 1072
Original post by Zenobia
If you can't afford 9000 pounds a year, move to Germany.

You seem to forget something essential here. British students can take out loans to cover the cost of their education in the UK whereas they can't get subsidized loans for studying abroad. Also, the cost of living in Germany is notoriously high.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1073
Original post by Zenobia
Don't call me ignorant.

Of course I am familiar with the league tables. If you look at the top 10 European universities, 3-5 are British (depending which list you follow). Although that is comparatively a majority, it definitely does not cover the top 10. If you are going to look at specific subjects you will find that many other European universities to frequently rank higher than British universities, i.e. TU Delft has won the World Solar Challenge on several occasions; this year they were 2nd, with Twente in 5th place - while Cambridge came in 25th this year, and Durham 33. Plus, that is 2 teams from both countries while the Netherlands is both significantly smaller and has less universities.

Oxbridge is only valued more than other British or other European universities because it is more well-known; i.e. Durham has ranked higher in Archaeology than Oxbridge but still its name is not very famous internationally. As you say yourself: do not discount other world-class institutions, also not those outside of Britain.

ANYWAY leaving all that to the side - would you really pick a university's ranking on a (rather vague tbh) list over where and what you truly want to study? Durham attracts many Medieval historians because of its rich Medieval history; similarly, volcanologists should not be hesitant to go study in Iceland. If you can't afford 9000 pounds a year, move to Germany. With the amount of great universities there are, the quality of the education is really up to yourself at some point. Cumont was an incredibly famous archaeologist, and he graduated with a PhD from Ghent, Belgium. Moreover, academics (anywhere in the world) are generally quite clever: they can speak English.

Your comments here are a bit more balanced and informed. But really, you were making a bold claim in your previous one. Hence I said you're giving the impression of ignorance, not that you are ignorant by nature!

In any case, most of what you just mentioned is quite ancillary. My comment that Britain has the best universities in Europe stands. I've justified it and even you've implicitly agreed now. While the university that is best for a given person in a given context is definitely not always the best ranked. *reputation* means an awful lot, especially in terms of employability, salary, and perceived personal authority. The top British unis I mentioned all have these at varying high levels. To single out Oxbridge is truly a fallacy.
Reply 1074
Original post by Ghost6
You seem to forget something essential here. British students can take out loans to cover the cost of their education in the UK whereas they can't get subsidized loans for studying abroad. Also, the cost of living in Germany is notoriously high.

Both very good points. Though PhDs are usually fully funded anywhere at top unis.

Furthermore, I'm amazed the US attracts as many foreign students as it does, even given the quality of its institutions. (The tuition fees for Harvard are semi-extortionate for example.)
Reply 1075
Have just received an offer from Merton College (I am reading for an M.St. in Greek and Latin).
Original post by Sophos
Have just received an offer from Merton College (I am reading for an M.St. in Greek and Latin).

Congratulations! Would you like to share your profile with us:
Original post by Sophos

congrats fellow classicist!
Reply 1078
Original post by Xristina
congrats fellow classicist!

multas gratias tibi ago, Christina.
Original post by Sophos

So did I (for the MSc in Computer Science)! Very very exciting news :smile::smile: Congratulations!

For those of you interested: I received the departmental offer four weeks ago.

I'm so thrilled :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending