The Student Room Group

Advice needed for PGDE 2018 Entry (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lastlullabyy
It was around the beginning of December, first week I think? He got intrview invite for Strathclyde before Christmas and sometime last week for Glasgow.

Best of luck to him! Can I also ask how he was notified about his interview? When I applied last time I got my interview in a letter through the post but not sure if it’s changed now and everything is through track because it was 6 years ago the last time I applied lol x
Original post by Terri1990
Best of luck to him! Can I also ask how he was notified about his interview? When I applied last time I got my interview in a letter through the post but not sure if it’s changed now and everything is through track because it was 6 years ago the last time I applied lol x

From Strathclyde he just got an email from the university - it wasn't uploaded on Track; from Glasgow he got an invitation through UCAS.
Original post by Terri1990

Hey, Just thought I would update you, I have received an invitation from Strathclyde for the PDGE Primary for an interview on the 12th of February.

So I think they are now setting up the next set of interviews! :smile:
I applied soo late! Only heard back from UWS and I have only applied for Glasgow and Strathclyde other than that. EEK. I have just given myself the fear after reading that Glasgow have cut places from 250 to 60.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone in this thread has applied to UWS to do their PGDE primary?
@killywhan yes I have! Got an interview lined up for next month! Have you?
@Magnus24 yes I have applied too but not heard back yet! I only applied 2 weeks ago though. Congrats on the interview! Is it Ayr or Hamilton? Have they told you what the interview format will be?
It will be for Hamilton but all interviews are in Ayr. I’ve wanted to do teaching for so long now but always put it off as need to pay rent/car etc and you can’t work alongside this course (if anyone has done it, then let me know/advice as it’s gonna be a frugal year).
Interview is going to be an introduction presentation to teaching then a written response to presentation (ten mins only I think). Then there will be individual interviews that will be 15 mins or so. It can be up to 3 hours on campus so best to take a half day or full day for the interview (off work etc.) I think, from what I can read around and from a teacher/Friend, the attainment gap (specifically Marcus 2016 report) is going to be a focus for UWS and I’m assuming for all Scottish universities.
Hope this helps and good luck to all! Any tips then message me!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Magnus24
It will be for Hamilton but all interviews are in Ayr. I’ve wanted to do teaching for so long now but always put it off as need to pay rent/car etc and you can’t work alongside this course (if anyone has done it, then let me know/advice as it’s gonna be a frugal year).
Interview is going to be an introduction presentation to teaching then a written response to presentation (ten mins only I think). Then there will be individual interviews that will be 15 mins or so. It can be up to 3 hours on campus so best to take a half day or full day for the interview (off work etc.) I think, from what I can read around and from a teacher/Friend, the attainment gap (specifically Marcus 2016 report) is going to be a focus for UWS and I’m assuming for all Scottish universities.
Hope this helps and good luck to all! Any tips then message me!!!

Very best of luck! It's so nerve wracking isn't it. Thanks for the info. How long after applying did you hear back from UWS? I'm checking my emails about 400 times a day haha!
Do you mean you've to do a presentation or listen to a presentation?
No mention of group discussion / work?
I've also been advised by a teacher friend to read up on raising attainment and apparently that's what last year's focus was in the interviews.
No I think the presentation is given by a lead lecturer and then we have 10 mins to write a response but they may make the response in groups if you’ve heard there is a group discussion section. Either way, I’m sure it is straight forward. With discussions I think that it’s important to listen just as much as it is to be the one speaking. I don’t think it matters if you’re the leader, doer or follower. Just as long as you find your groove and are participating. That’s my thoughts.

I’ll have a look for the letter and try and post it tomorrow (it’s hidden in the invitation as a weird link so it’s very easy to miss- I had to call the uni for them to explain there is a weird link)
I applied 10th of jan I think. Just before it closed. I put west of Scotland first on choice.
Glasgow were unhelpful when I called them before I applied. I work overseas a lot and inquired how it will work with having alternative interview dates and the lady pretty much implied that it was unlikely that there would be many interviews given out in January. That’s completely my interpretation and could be wrong!

It is nerve wracking but it will all be fine in the end. There is always next year.
(edited 6 years ago)
No I think the presentation is given by a lead lecturer and then we have 10 mins to write a response but they may make the response in groups if you’ve heard there is a group discussion section. Either way, I’m sure it is straight forward. With discussions I think that it’s important to listen just as much as it is to be the one speaking. I don’t think it matters if you’re the leader, doer or follower. Just as long as you find your groove and are participating. That’s my thoughts.

I’ll have a look for the letter and try and post it tomorrow (it’s hidden in the invitation as a weird link so it’s very easy to miss- I had to call the uni for them to explain there is a weird link)
I applied 10th of jan I think. Just before it closed. I put west of Scotland first on choice.
Glasgow were unhelpful when I called them before I applied. I work overseas a lot and inquired how it will work with having alternative interview dates and the lady pretty much implied that it was unlikely that there would be many interviews given out in January. That’s completely my interpretation and could be wrong!

It is nerve wracking but it will all be fine in the end. There is always next year.

I think you're right about the importance of listening to the presentation and getting involved.

I applied on 14th Jan, so only 4 days after you and haven't heard anything back. Now giving myself the total fear that means I've not got an interview. How quickly did you hear back?
Does anyone have a contact for someone in admissions at Strathclyde or someone involved in the PGDE Primary course by any chance?

I’ve had a bit of an issue. Basically I initially applied for a different course this year but then changed my mind and decided to try and get back to teaching. Ucas wouldn’t let me cancel my application to submit another (which I needed to do as my original personal statement was geared towards a different course) so I contacted Strathclyde to ask if they would accept an amended PS through email. They said yes so I sent them it thinking it would all be fine. Last week I got an unsuccessful from them and the reason they gave me is because my PS doesn’t even mention teaching so they must not have added my amended one for me. I’ve sent off about 6 emails in the past week to every email address I can find including to the person who originally told me they would accept an amended PS and I haven’t had a reply from anyone. I feel like I’m going to go insane but I’m not ready to give up just yet... x
@Killywhan

Type the highlighted into a browser and it shows you
(edited 6 years ago)
@Killywhan

Type the highlighted into a browser and it shows you

Thanks for that, it's good to see what will be involved if I do get an interview. Keeping my fingers tightly crossed! Hope you get on well, let us know how it goes!
Reply 74
Hi everyone! I received an invitation on Thursday to an interview at Strathclyde next week - but I just got an update on UCAS tonight to say that my application for Strathclyde had been unsuccessful - has this ever happened to anyone else? I accepted my interview and got an eventbrite confirmation. I’m hoping it’s just an error and that my interview still stands! Any info would be appreciated!! :smile:
Reply 75
Congratulations on getting your interview!I've just received an email from them to say my application to Strathclyde has been unsuccessful (I've applied for the Secondary PGDE in English). To say I'm gutted is an understatement. I'm now super worried that Glasgow and Edinburgh will reject me too :frown:But since i never received an invitation for interview from them, I bet you have nothing to worry about!! Best of luck in your interview!! x
Reply 76
Thank you! Fingers crossed you get some good news from Glasgow & Edinburgh!
Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if many people have heard back from Glasgow? Secondary PGDE?
I have received my Strathclyde and Edinburgh interviews but getting nervous about Glasgow now!
Hi guys, Im just wondering if anyone has still to hear from Edinburgh PGDE? I applied before the end of December and still haven't heard! Does anyone know if they are still doing interviews? X
Reply 79
HI everyone! Has anyone heard back from Glasgow uni for pgde primary or secondary? Alsoooo has anyone heard back from Strathclyde interviews on the 6th of Feb? I am driving myself insane checking emails & UCAS track constantly! Hoping I’m not the only one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending