The Student Room Group

Change the University fees from £9250 back to the £3000 fee for the UK Petition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Scitty
If you want a compromise, they could scrap fees altogether for any vocational degrees - i.e. degrees that directly correlate to a job sector. So architecture, medicine, dentistry, nursing, veterinary, engineering, teaching etc. That way you'd have more of a guarantee that graduates would be employed and contributing back into the economy again. (I'm not sure which degrees exactly have a high graduate employment rate in their sector, those are just guesses - don't shoot me lol).

People should be free to choose to study whatever they like, but the thing is, so many people are now taking so called "useless" degrees like media, creative writing, psychology, history of art, gender studies etc. and there aren't enough jobs in those sectors. If they charged current prices for those, or dropped the price but made interviews mandatory, then the number of students going into degrees that already have more graduates than jobs should decrease. Plus if people have to be interviewed for uni courses, it could reduce the number of students going to uni because they don't know what else to do/, and help ensure people taking the degrees are people who genuinely want to do the subject, rather than just going because it's expected of them or for the "Uni Experience".

Combined with promoting apprenticeships better, we would hopefully have more skilled labourers and professionals coming out of school. And perhaps reduce the stereotype that people who go into apprenticeships simply "aren't good enough" for uni, which unfortunately is still perpetuated, by the the general public and educational sectors alike.

Or at least in my experience, anyway. Can't vouch for everywhere. :colondollar:

But, y'know, in an ideal world - free uni for all. Hence, signed. :tongue:

I agree with all you said apart from the Creative Writing bit. That area isn't as saturated as you think, but you can't make much money from it. Also, what is your opinion on English Lit/ Linguistics/ History/ Classics?
Reply 41
Original post by Nesgul
I agree with all you said apart from the Creative Writing bit. That area isn't as saturated as you think, but you can't make much money from it. Also, what is your opinion on English Lit/ Linguistics/ History/ Classics?

I understand their importance as subjects, as they are our culture. And to some extent, a good History/English degree can get you a decent job as they are a respected course and provide a valuable skill set to build off of (such as essay writing, analytics etc). But for the number of people who do them…
I mean, the majority of people from my college who went to university ended up doing English Lit, Media, or History, and most of them have already turned around and said they don't have jobs lined up or took the degree as a "filler". Just seems a lot of debt to be getting into for nothing, at the end of day.

Linguistics I've not heard much of, unless you mean studying an actual language, so don't really know the prospects for graduates from that subject area. :colondollar:

IDK. My partner started a history degree and dropped out in his final year when he realised he couldn't get a relevant job in it and it was affecting his mental health, and I know he regrets taking it now. So I'm probably just a little biased in thinking non-vocational degrees are a slight waste of time if they come with £40k+ price tags. :redface:

But, people should be able to pursue their interests if they so wish. So it's a slippery slope.
Reply 42
Original post by Scitty
I understand their importance as subjects, as they are our culture. And to some extent, a good History/English degree can get you a decent job as they are a respected course and provide a valuable skill set to build off of (such as essay writing, analytics etc). But for the number of people who do them…
I mean, the majority of people from my college who went to university ended up doing English Lit, Media, or History, and most of them have already turned around and said they don't have jobs lined up or took the degree as a "filler". Just seems a lot of debt to be getting into for nothing, at the end of day.

Linguistics I've not heard much of, unless you mean studying an actual language, so don't really know the prospects for graduates from that subject area. :colondollar:

IDK. My partner started a history degree and dropped out in his final year when he realised he couldn't get a relevant job in it and it was affecting his mental health, and I know he regrets taking it now. So I'm probably just a little biased in thinking non-vocational degrees are a slight waste of time if they come with £40k+ price tags. :redface:

But, people should be able to pursue their interests if they so wish. So it's a slippery slope.

I definitely get what you mean, especially if you are taking them at a rubbish university. I'm lucky enough to be studying English at a well respected uni, with a predicted 1st on my hands. I think that you need to work hard at them and get into a good uni, but if you do they are pretty much as useful as a STEM degree. I know former alumni from my uni have gone into a very wide range of fields so I have high hopes for everyone (personally, I want to go into academia).
Sorry this petition won't do ****. Debt sucks but if your not earning £26000 a year you don't have to pay in back and if you don't pay it back by 40 it gets written off which is not a bad deal honesty.
Honestly people b*tch about University tution fees but I would rather see money invested into affordable housing (we need to build on the green build). Housing is the students biggest enemy, not tution fees.
Original post by humanteaparty
Sorry this petition won't do ****. Debt sucks but if your not earning £26000 a year you don't have to pay in back and if you don't pay it back by 40 it gets written off which is not a bad deal honesty.
Honestly people b*tch about University tution fees but I would rather see money invested into affordable housing (we need to build on the green build). Housing is the students biggest enemy, not tution fees.

£21,000

30 years after the start of the course (so 48-50 for most people)

Both of these limits to repayment are something that the government can change retrospectively (they've already frozen the £21k threshold - it was supposed to rise with average earnings or inflation - if it is refrozen after 2020 (likely given that the government ****ed up their sums) then repayment will be required by anyone earning the minimum wage in a full time job in a short space of time).
Original post by PQ
£21,000

30 years after the start of the course (so 48-50 for most people)

Both of these limits to repayment are something that the government can change retrospectively (they've already frozen the £21k threshold - it was supposed to rise with average earnings or inflation - if it is refrozen after 2020 (likely given that the government ****ed up their sums) then repayment will be required by anyone earning the minimum wage in a full time job in a short space of time).

****, didn't realise it was £21k, do you have a source on the minimum wage having to repay it back in the future?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending