The Student Room Group

medicine a level options

Scroll to see replies

Do chemistry and biology and one other a-level, of your choice. Don't do any other combinations or if you mess up on UKCAT or BMAT you wont be able to apply to your strengths. You don't need to discuss this further.
Original post by Cherub012
The data shows a correlation. That's as far as you can take it.

So you're suggesting an RCT are you? :laugh:

Its the best evidence you're going to get for this question. The balance of probability is that maths impacts and physics doesn't, and that's what I would tell someone I cared about. There is uncertainty, its not perfect, but its certainly a few hundred times better than some guy who's suggesting the opposite to what the correlation shows. His evidence: nothing.

You can't always have perfect evidence. Sometimes you have to make the best of what you've got.
Original post by PQ
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

"60% of applicants with A levels were doing/had done 3 A levels, 35% were doing 4 A levels and 2% were doing 5 A levels (though not necessarily all being completed in one academic year)."

I'd also suspect the proportion taking 4 A Levels or more is lower if an average is considered across all universities. Oxford attracts that type of academic crowd
Original post by nexttime
So you're suggesting an RCT are you? :laugh:

Its the best evidence you're going to get for this question. The balance of probability is that maths impacts and physics doesn't, and that's what I would tell someone I cared about. There is uncertainty, its not perfect, but its certainly a few hundred times better than some guy who's suggesting the opposite to what the correlation shows. His evidence: nothing.

You can't always have perfect evidence. Sometimes you have to make the best of what you've got.

I don't see a problem with your conclusion. I just don't think it's wise dissuading someone to pick physics using this data, which I thought it was what you were doing.
Just to add: I met a Cambridge 1st year medic who has Chem, Bio and Physics A-levels. But not Maths (or any 4th A-level).

And they reckoned they were an unusual case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending