The Student Room Group

Alcohol at university...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lw8
It's funny how I literally called people out for being triggered, then in the same sentence used the trigger word 'alcoholic' and you caught the bait. Unbelievable.

Wow you are so clever., your attitude is appalling. Dont be surprised if you find it difficult to make friends when at uni. Nothing to do with you not drinking.
Original post by Unistudent77
Does this come from religion?
I used to be like you a bit i suppose but just started with a few drinks and went from there.
I'm glad i'm no longer 17/18 tbh, i don't want to go out 3/4 nights a week anymore. Barely go out once every two/three weeks now so i get why you aren't massively keen but i can be very fun i certainly had loads of fun.

Nowadays i prefer going to the pub and actually speaking to people, having a good chat etc. Or on rare occasions i'll go to a rave. So maybe you should try just going to the pub...

I understand why you'd think that, but I'm actually 100% athiest surprisingly. I'm a little weird when it comes to the little things, I have high guilt whenever I do something I perceive to be wrong, for example, if I'm in a situation where lying would benefit me, I physically can't lie, because my conscience would kill me inside, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I guess it's the same with alcohol.

I do think if I were to ever have alcohol a pub would be better for me, seems like a more relaxed, chilled environment.
Original post by Socrates2017
Being a university student is basically the same thing as being a full-time alcoholic (until the last term of the last year - me now)
the only difference is that your parents are proud of you for it

#Clocked
Untitled.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lw8
Jesus Christ I've finally found someone that agrees with me! I've literally just condemned alcohol but people are responding like I've called for the second mass genocide of all Jews.

This is why I'm not very active here. If you like open debate of less mainstream views I recommend r/debatefascism which is much more interesting. #shamelessplug.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Wow you are so clever., your attitude is appalling. Dont be surprised if you find it difficult to make friends when at uni. Nothing to do with you not drinking.

Making friends will not be a priority of mine when going to university. But making friends has always been something that came naturally to me actually, much to my demise, half the time I befriend people I don't actually like. I need to stop and actually make friends with people similar to me. Self driven, motivated and positive thinkers.
All things binge drinkers are not.
Reply 85
Original post by lw8
Self driven, motivated and positive thinkers.
All things binge drinkers are not.

I am all those things yet I drink. History is full of successful people who enjoyed alcohol, think Churchill. Yet you wouldn't have wanted to be a friend of his.
Original post by lw8
Being 'lonely' honestly doesn't concern me whatsoever,
However, I can have friends without doing something I don't want to do to try and get them. That's called being a follower. If these 'friends' don't accept me for not drinking alcohol, they're not friends and I'll disassociate myself with them immediately.

I didn't imply you had to drink to make friends.
However your attitude to alcohol would put in the same position as most Muslims at uni who have superiority complex.

For most people, pubs and bars are general meeting places and this won't work well for you.

Fyi. Drinking doesn't mean getting wasted everytime.
Original post by usualsuspects
I am all those things yet I drink. History is full of successful people who enjoyed alcohol, think Churchill. Yet you wouldn't have wanted to be a friend of his.

I get that. I'm sure you are. But if I were to comply to drinking purely to make friends that would damage my integrity. It's not that I can't be friends with drinkers, but I can't be friends with people that try to pressure me into drinking/don't befriend people who don't drink or are followers themselves.
Original post by lw8
I'm a COWARD now??? What the hell have I done? I've simply explained the way I choose to live my life and I've been labelled a COWARD? For not drinking alcohol and condemning an unhealthy lifestyle???

No of course not. For not being brave enough to express your views in the real world. Even hate preachers on the street have one up on you because they aren't being keyboard warriors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lw8
Well. This is all my personal choice. I guess I should keep it to myself, because people don't like hearing other views besides there own, but...

I don't live my life to impress people, I don't live my life to make 'friends' I don't concern myself with other people. I'm focused on my own goals, not the appeasement of others. If someone comes into my life and they don't understand that? Well, they're not going to be my friend. If they try to pressure me into things I don't want to do? Not going to be my friend. I always put myself first.

I'm not telling anyone else to do anything, I'm simply giving you another perspective on life, and showing you how I choose to live mine.

'Doing anything significant'? Like what? Getting a degree? Because that's what I'm there for, and hopefully, by the end, I'll have graduated and achieved my dream.

Pahahaha I hope that doesn't come back to bite you. I hope for your sake you're not one of those people who comes out of university with a degree but has lost their soul and will to live.

How naive you are is painful. I wish I were that young again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MachinesCradle
This is why I'm not very active here. If you like open debate of less mainstream views I recommend r/debatefascism which is much more interesting. #shamelessplug.

Or you could debate in the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Or you could debate in the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would rather the alcoholics were not making the air and floor unclean in my vicinity.
Original post by lw8
I understand why you'd think that, but I'm actually 100% athiest surprisingly. I'm a little weird when it comes to the little things, I have high guilt whenever I do something I perceive to be wrong, for example, if I'm in a situation where lying would benefit me, I physically can't lie, because my conscience would kill me inside, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I guess it's the same with alcohol.

I do think if I were to ever have alcohol a pub would be better for me, seems like a more relaxed, chilled environment.

I see. I suppose i get that (i certainly understand you) however i am a different personality. I can do many things for my own interest, lie, cheat etc. I don't worry about stuff like that.
If i need to do something then i'll do it (if i believe it's the right thing or a necessary thing).

However i don't view taking substances as morally wrong. Therefore it's not a case of right and wrong.

Being addicted is wrong. You lose your freedom.

I just have always had that 'screw it' voice and curiosity killed the cat and all that so yeah...

I agree with a poster who said uni isn't about the degree.
I was 1 of 2 successful candidates for a place on a graduate scheme for a well paid job out of 40.

I did a history degree and the job is to do with accounts, insurance etc (money in other words).
Uni has allowed me to meet loads of different people and get a fantastic perspective on life (whether i use that persepctive to my advantage remains to be seen but i'm off to a decent start).

I also worked over summer in a minumum wage job for experience.

Those people skills and ambition, drive etc got me the job.
Not how many lectures i attended (like 5 in 4 years lol - serious), not how little i drank etc, not even really my degree grade (you 'needed' a 2:1 but turns out that was only 'desirable')
I do agree that physical fitness is important (i am a fitness mod after all, i do keep fit and lift) as it keeps you mentally healthy.

So i would advise against going to uni to purely 'get a degree and study'. Uni should give you many skills and experiences, all of which will mature you as a person
It's cool, you dont have to drink.

But if you're gonna go around calling people immoral who do drink then have fun been a healthier, more well rounded person with no friends 🖒
Original post by lw8
Anyone else planning to go through uni without drinking alcohol?
I don't see the appeal of it, I'm there to get a degree and play on a sports team, not get smashed of my face every night and come out with *****y honours. I've never drank alcohol in my life and I for sure won't be doing it at uni. It's unhealthy, immoral and makes people completely dysfunctional, not to mention the cancer that is 'night life' (basically a load of desperate teenagers looking for a bang).
I'm going to uni to become a healthier, more educated, better organized and well rounded individual. The entirety of my 'uni life' will be lectures, revision, the gym and playing sports.
Am i the only one?

what do you know about nootropics ?

things like phenibut and theanine get you drunk - like
Original post by lw8
Anyone else planning to go through uni without drinking alcohol?
I don't see the appeal of it, I'm there to get a degree and play on a sports team, not get smashed of my face every night and come out with *****y honours. I've never drank alcohol in my life and I for sure won't be doing it at uni. It's unhealthy, immoral and makes people completely dysfunctional, not to mention the cancer that is 'night life' (basically a load of desperate teenagers looking for a bang).
I'm going to uni to become a healthier, more educated, better organized and well rounded individual. The entirety of my 'uni life' will be lectures, revision, the gym and playing sports.
Am i the only one?

I'm not planning on drinking at uni - like you, I've never drunk alcohol in my life, and don't really see the point in starting now.

We had a talk at school from some people who said that your brain continues to grow and develop until you're 25, so if you start drinking before then, it can inhibit the development of your brain and your intelligence. So if I ever do start to drink, it won't be until I'm in my late 20s.

Plus, I tend to overindulge on things like chocolate and junk food, and I'm worried that if I start drinking alcohol, and like it, that I would start drinking too much very quickly. I just don't want to risk it really.

Also, I hate the idea of not being in control of my actions or not remembering what I've done the following morning.
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
No, that isn't how you are projecting yourself. Your criticism of alcohol implicates those who consume it:

You state that it renders people "completely dysfunctional", and you reduce those who participate in nightlife as being "desperate" and "looking for a bang". This is not true, only in severe cases does it make people dysfunctional. And even with how rife alcohol is in university life, people who drink manage to come out with very good degrees and seasoned CVs - this clearly indicates that alcohol doesn't make people dysfunctional.

As for labelling it immoral, that implies that you think those who take part in drinking are taking part in an act of an immoral nature. This is looking down on people for their (legal, I hasten to add) lifestyle choices.

Your hyperbolic articulation is really starting to annoy me
Original post by WhiteScythe
Your hyperbolic articulation is really starting to annoy me please just stfu

Ohhhhh dear you're getting triggered.

Coming from someone who apparently studies at a private school

Go and crawl back up your mother's vagina into your safe space
But you just told me to not go round telling this to people in real life.
If I can't do it online or in real life that's a complete violation of free speech. I'd prefer to say it here because irl people will call me weird. Expressing views online doesn't make you a 'keyboard warrior'.
Original post by Unistudent77
I see! Pretty fantastic getting a first, what does she do now?

Hahaha, very very true :tongue:

Yup, hockey. Not that i ever joined the club.... You can google 'Stirling boys on bus' and the hockey boys chanting is on there. You won't believe the things they do!

She's a tutor for teenagers wanting to apply for uni in the UK in Hong Kong. The amount some parents are willing to pay her is gobsmacking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending