The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I'm of no use here, except to say that I'm also applying for languages at St. Andrews!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Well, I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I will have a go. I just started at St Andrews last week, doing French, German and Linguistics.

For German I have one lecture and 3 tutorials a week. The lecture is a literature lecture, and is backed up with a tutorial, in small groups (about 10 people) where we discuss the literature, have the chance to ask any questions, work out any problems etc. Lectures are also quite small as there are only about 40 people doing German post A Level/Highers. The other 2 tutorials are language tutorials, so grammar, vocab, oral work etc, in small groups.

There are many more people in French, about 200, so lectures are fairly impersonal, and we have 3 a week, one "Language Learning Techniques", one "Grammar" and one "Literature" (unfortunately always at 9am) We then also have language and literature tutorials once a week and an oral class, in much smaller groups so it is much more personal than the lectures and you can go over any of the topics covered in lectures.

I find the courses challenging, but do-able. Getting used to lectures and being more responsible for my own study is actually more difficult for me than the level of language, but there are some people that have self taught, so can study very independently but find the actual work more challenging. There is such a mix of levels, some people already near perfect and others can barely string a sentence together (me in French) so the course caters for everyone, but obviously, some find it easier than others.

Linguistics (for Jonnythemoose :biggrin:) so far is really interesting. We have 3 lectures a week and one tutorial. Lectures in first year are "Words and Meanings", "Sounds in Language" and "Structure of Sentences" I have only actually had one lecture so far, so I can't really elaborate more I'm afraid!

Hope that helps a little bit, but if you want more info later in the year, just ask! xxx
Reply 3
I'm doing Linguistics too! Everyone's being all philosophical about language :s-smilie:. Are you slightly confused too?
Reply 4
Luser
I'm doing Linguistics too! Everyone's being all philosophical about language :s-smilie:. Are you slightly confused too?

Confused. tres confused. And I really wish people would stop arguing with the lecturers to show off. It's annoying. Reading the text books actually makes more sense than the lectures I think.
*waves to chicklet*

You're doing the exact same course that I've applied for! :biggrin: So if I get an offer from St. Andrews, I'll be bugging you all the time for information and help! :tongue:
Reply 6
jonnythemoose
*waves to chicklet*

You're doing the exact same course that I've applied for! :biggrin: So if I get an offer from St. Andrews, I'll be bugging you all the time for information and help! :tongue:

*waves back*

Bug me all you want, the more I can put off studying the better! :wink:
And I really wish people would stop arguing with the lecturers to show off.

Omg. Im about to kill this one guy who argues with every lecturer. He complains about everything. im going to fly for him and cause serious bodily harm. he will die.

Nuff said. Just come to st a - it's clearly the best. And dont worry too much about grades - i got in and i didn't have the right grades.
Reply 8
dragon500uk
Omg. Im about to kill this one guy who argues with every lecturer. He complains about everything. im going to fly for him and cause serious bodily harm. he will die.

Nuff said. Just come to st a - it's clearly the best. And dont worry too much about grades - i got in and i didn't have the right grades.

Haha, I'm considering taking some form of missile (popcorn or similar) to lectures to throw at peoples heads. Just because they love the sound of their own voice, we have to listen to their stupid and idiotic opinions. Aaargh! Bit harsh, but true.

Don't stress too much over grades... They actually told me I wouldn't get in cause my grades weren't good enough. I'm still here!
Reply 9
I agree. Who are you guys in linguistics anyway?

I'm the girl at the front corner with a laptop and shortish messy hair.
Reply 10
Luser
I agree. Who are you guys in linguistics anyway?

I'm the girl at the front corner with a laptop and shortish messy hair.

I'm usually the girl who's sleeping, and will leave early even when I don't have another lecture to go to!
Reply 11
Haha. That lecturer we had today? JUST like a schoolteacher...
Reply 12
I had a very refreshing nap today. Her voice just lulls you to sleep...
I'm not doing linguistics. I just lurk on these boards. And i could relate to the people who annoy the crap out of me. I'm a science girl.
Reply 14
I do bio and psych too...

Latest

Trending

Trending