The Student Room Group

Required GCSES for A level computer science?

I am about to choose my A level and Im gonna pick maths, further maths, physics and chemistry but Iv started to think that maybe computer science instead of chemistry might be better, as I want to go into physics or engineering... but what GCSES do I need for computer science? I already have an A* in maths and am doing gcse further maths but I dont have anything relating to computers :/ is that a problem??
Original post by kates101
I am about to choose my A level and Im gonna pick maths, further maths, physics and chemistry but Iv started to think that maybe computer science instead of chemistry might be better, as I want to go into physics or engineering... but what GCSES do I need for computer science? I already have an A* in maths and am doing gcse further maths but I dont have anything relating to computers :/ is that a problem??

Nope, you're fine
Reply 2
I did ICT at IGCSE levels and chose Computer Science at AS. But you have to be careful incase you don't like it, because it's detailed computer stuff unlike ICT.
Reply 3
You're not gonna undestand a word from the syllabus supplied unless you have a brief idea of the content from elsewhere.
Minimum 5 GCSES A-C (including Maths, English)
I picked Computer Science A Level. You need a good grade in Maths, and if you take a computer related course they would like a B (in my case), but a computer related is not required.

Thanks,
TeacupAndTragedy :five:
Reply 6
Hey. For my sixth form I needed at least a B in Maths and a B in Double Science.
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
I picked Computer Science A Level. You need a good grade in Maths, and if you take a computer related course they would like a B (in my case), but a computer related is not required.

Thanks,
TeacupAndTragedy :five:

Are you with OCR and what did you get in the mocks ?
Reply 8
You're fine, They actually re-teach most of the stuff from the GCSE computer science course anyway. They basically assume that you have no prior knowledge. My teachers often say how odd it is that they're teaching their year sevens the same stuff that they're teaching the sixth formers.

If you want to get ahead, I'd recommend starting to learn to code, preferably in the language that you'll be using in your course. I know that a lot of schools use Python.
Reply 9
Original post by kates101

I'm in a similar situation. A lot of schools, such as my own, don't offer computer science. I have decided to take Computer Science A-level out of interest in coding! My college is completely OK with this as my school doesn't allow the subject.

I'm not exactly sure what to expect, just as you may not, but I plan to learn the coding language which I will study at A-level over summer. Good luck to you.
Original post by Waveyalex
Are you with OCR and what did you get in the mocks ?

Not with OCR unfortunately, but I'm predicted an A :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Jay Caz
I'm in a similar situation. A lot of schools, such as my own, don't offer computer science. I have decided to take Computer Science A-level out of interest in coding! My college is completely OK with this as my school doesn't allow the subject.

I'm not exactly sure what to expect, just as you may not, but I plan to learn the coding language which I will study at A-level over summer. Good luck to you.

What exam board are you planning to go with for the A-level?
Pretty sure the only requirement is an E in GCSE Computing or a D in Maths, might be wrong
Original post by Aklaol
What exam board are you planning to go with for the A-level?

Not entirely sure, but I am aware that Python will be somewhat covered as the language we do as I have been given a leaflet explaining the course for the two years.
Reply 14
Original post by Jay Caz
Not entirely sure, but I am aware that Python will be somewhat covered as the language we do as I have been given a leaflet explaining the course for the two years.

I was under the impression that you were considering taking A-Level Computer Science as an independent candidate... evidently I was wrong.... You worded this:

Original post by Jay Caz

Pretty badly... which is why I assumed the above. :colonhash:
for my school they need a 6 in gcse maths. I got a 5 in maths but a 6 in computer science gcse. my school offered it to me but im not sure if its a good idea. should I take it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending