The Student Room Group

Computing at University of Liverpool

Hi guys,

I have got an offer from the university of Liverpool to do computing with a year in industry. I am really worried I wont be able to succeed in this course because it is basically an exam based course, when I am a BTEC student and my maths isn't that great.

I was wondering if anyone could just give me some more information about the course and how students get along?
Original post by Cybster
Hi guys,

I have got an offer from the university of Liverpool to do computing with a year in industry. I am really worried I wont be able to succeed in this course because it is basically an exam based course, when I am a BTEC student and my maths isn't that great.

I was wondering if anyone could just give me some more information about the course and how students get along?

Heya,

If you don't get a response here then I would suggest contacting the uni to see if they can put you in touch with a student or course rep.

Also have a look at the module information and see if you can work out anything from that, also some past papers (though these are often password protected..)

Also I doubt that Anhiigh standard of maths is expected from you, but the key to improving is practice!
Reply 2
I'm coming through the access course for computer science at Liverpool and start year one in September since I only had gcse maths and haven't been in education for 6 years :redface:
I can try to hang on to my notes and booklets if your worried about maths so you can do extra practice when you start next year. Were basically doing as and a level maths across two semesters and it's not too bad the way the college teach it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mattm08
I'm coming through the access course for computer science at Liverpool and start year one in September since I only had gcse maths and haven't been in education for 6 years :redface:
I can try to hang on to my notes and booklets if your worried about maths so you can do extra practice when you start next year. Were basically doing as and a level maths across two semesters and it's not too bad the way the college teach it :smile:

What sort of topics are you learning? I like programming but literally just passed my GCSE in upper school. And if you have any digital copies of any work, I would love to have a look too.

Thankss
Reply 4
Original post by Cybster
What sort of topics are you learning? I like programming but literally just passed my GCSE in upper school. And if you have any digital copies of any work, I would love to have a look too.

Thankss

In maths and add maths doing stuff like differentiating, integration, binomial expansion, 3D vectors, matrices, sketching a cubic polynomial, factor theorem, remainder theorem etc all involves a fair amount of algebra so you need to be good at solving simultaneous equations and factorising to start with :smile: sounds scary but it's not too bad I had only got a gcse in maths years ago but I'm keeping up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending