The Student Room Group

Parents have just thrown the cost of a holiday on me...

I'll start by saying I'm not expecting everything to be given to me, but this has really just pissed me off.

I'm in my first year at uni and I did a Year in Industry beforehand, partly to save up for university. During that year I payed rent to my parents which amounted about £1500 altogether. I payed, and still do pay, for everything on my car (insurance, tax, mot, etc) and I have had nothing from them for university. I'm quite good with money and through my own hard work I am probably better off than most admittedly.

A few weeks ago my family asked if I wanted to go on holiday with them in the summer. I said yeah sure, and they booked it this week. Then I phone them last night just for a catch up and I say me and my girlfriend have booked a weekend break (I've budgeted his year so I can do it). The response from them? "When you going to pay the deposit for our holiday?"

I could've swore at them then and there. They never mentioned me paying for this holiday with them, they invited me to come. Am I being unreasonable to think they mightve payed this one thing for me? Because as it stands I probably have JUST enough money to get me through uni using up all my savings. This holiday is going to be another £1000 burden they're expecting me to pay for without even consulting me on it...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattyJMP
I'll start by saying I'm not expecting everything to be given to me, but this has really just pissed me off.

I'm in my first year at uni and I did a Year in Industry beforehand, partly to save up for university. During that year I payed rent to my parents which amounted about £1500 altogether. I payed, and still do pay, for everything on my car (insurance, tax, mot, etc) and I have had nothing from them for university. I'm quite good with money and through my own hard work I am probably better off than most admittedly.

A few weeks ago my family asked if I wanted to go on holiday with them in the summer. I said yeah sure, and they booked it this week. Then I phone them last night just for a catch up and I say me and my girlfriend have booked a weekend break (I've budgeted his year so I can do it). The response from them? "When you going to pay the deposit for our holiday?"

I could've swore at them then and there. They never mentioned me paying for this holiday with them, they invited me to come. Am I being unreasonable to think they mightve payed this one thing for me? Because as it stands I probably have JUST enough money to get me through uni using up all my savings. This holiday is going to be another £1000 burden they're expecting me to pay for without even consulting me on it...

It seems reasonable that since they no longer support you that they could have made that assumption, if you are paying for bills and all that they were expecting you to pay for the holiday. It might not be too late for them to cancel your place and just lose the deposit.
Reply 2

Well IMO its not good for family to ask for money unless its polite and out of need or through wanting to help each other.

If you would rather not go on holiday, try to take charge by getting a refund for your tickets and hotel bookings.

Also, if you need more financial support, why not contact your university about that? I'm sure they have access to funds scholarships and bursaries too.

Best wishes.
Reply 3
I automatically assume I pay for anything for myself with my family. I don't think it's unreasonable as an adult that supports themselves by their own admission
Reply 4
They are *******s. Is 1,000 the cost per person? So, basically, they spend £2,000 for their summer holiday but don't give you an allowance for uni and have actually asked you rent?
Cancel the holiday, It's their fault for not mentioning that before
Reply 6
Original post by usualsuspects
They are *******s. Is 1,000 the cost per person? So, basically, they spend £2,000 for their summer holiday but don't give you an allowance for uni and have actually asked you rent?

Oh no, they take my brother as well who's in sixth form. And yeah, before I started work it was decided how much I was going to pay, even though the whole point of me working was to save up money. I'm half expecting them to start charging me rent again when I'm back in the summer working for 8 weeks.
Reply 7
Oh no, they take my brother as well who's in sixth form. And yeah, before I started work it was decided how much I was going to pay, even though the whole point of me working was to save up money. I'm half expecting them to start charging me rent again when I'm back in the summer working for 8 weeks.

You are really unlucky then. They seem to do it for educational purposes, you won't do the same with your children, will you? Surprisingly, some people find it appropriate...

I would have assumed since you are a grown up then you would be paying for your own holiday, unless they said otherwise? You pay how much rent?
Are they expected to contribute to your uni maintenance?

Its easy and has been suggested above just decide not to go and cut your losses. You would resent them even more all the way. Think you are being a bit spoiled.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
I would have assumed since you are a grown up then you would be paying for your own holiday, unless they said otherwise? You pay how much rent?

Its easy and has been suggested above just decide not to go and cut your losses. You would resent them even more all the way. Think you are being a bit spoiled.

They are expected to contribute. Student finance works that if your family are really poor you get all you need, if you're well off you get a bit and your family contribute to make up the rest.

I don't pay rent now, I'm in halls at uni which my loan just covers. Then everything down here I pay for and I pay for my car. Last year I payed them £150 a month which I know isn't a lot, but it was literally my first year out of school. And it's not like I'm renting a property, I'm just paying for food and energy.

I wouldn't say I'm being spoiled, like I said, I have had nothing from them the last 2 years. They're always saying that I can't just go straight from uni to work to uni again, I need a break. I thought when the invited me on holiday, without ever giving me a price or saying I would pay for it, or even a say in where or when (I'm going to have to build up flexi hours so I have enough days holiday) that they might have been paying for it.

To then just expect me to do it, and I would say it's just rude to do it in a way where they haven't even asked me where I'm going with my gf, just "how are you going to pay us then", is just ridiculous. I'm not expecting holiday from them, I'd be fine not going, I didn't last year. They've just basically taken half my budget for next year, or my insurance money for the year.
Reply 10

The OP is being spoiled? Who are you to say this?
This guy is a uni student who works (automatically classes him as not spoiled), doesn't get support from parents and pays them rent when he stays at their house.
They are expected to contribute. Student finance works that if your family are really poor you get all you need, if you're well off you get a bit and your family contribute to make up the rest.

I don't pay rent now, I'm in halls at uni which my loan just covers. Then everything down here I pay for and I pay for my car. Last year I payed them £150 a month which I know isn't a lot, but it was literally my first year out of school. And it's not like I'm renting a property, I'm just paying for food and energy.

I wouldn't say I'm being spoiled, like I said, I have had nothing from them the last 2 years. They're always saying that I can't just go straight from uni to work to uni again, I need a break. I thought when the invited me on holiday, without ever giving me a price or saying I would pay for it, or even a say in where or when (I'm going to have to build up flexi hours so I have enough days holiday) that they might have been paying for it.

To then just expect me to do it, and I would say it's just rude to do it in a way where they haven't even asked me where I'm going with my gf, just "how are you going to pay us then", is just ridiculous. I'm not expecting holiday from them, I'd be fine not going, I didn't last year. They've just basically taken half my budget for next year, or my insurance money for the year.

1.How much shortfall is there that they arent paying? is there a reason they wont help? Obviously I think they should.
2. Whether you pay for your own car or not is irrelevant. Nobody forces you to have one.
3. The holiday is a different matter. I still don think it should be a given to expect them to pay. just say there was a misunderstanding and cancel it for yourself. You should have asked and they should have made it clear. I would rather spend the holiday with the gf etc. No idea of how well off your parents are. I wouldnt be wasting money on holidays when they arent helping you at uni.
4. Not seeing why you feel obligated to go. Sort it out now and cancel. just say you dont have the money to spare (you dont) and you could be using that for books or food etc.
Original post by usualsuspects
The OP is being spoiled? Who are you to say this?
This guy is a uni student who works (automatically classes him as not spoiled), doesn't get support from parents and pays them rent when he stays at their house.

The two issues are separate.

1. This is about the holiday. he doesnt have a right or expectation that they should pay.

2. If the parents arent paying money towards uni when they are required to due to their income, then they are in the wrong over that.

The spoiled refers to the first issue and expectation rather than the second. You seem unable to see the distinction. There has been a misunderstanding and he should simply cancel the place.
Reply 13
1.How much shortfall is there that they arent paying? is there a reason they wont help? Obviously I think they should.
2. Whether you pay for your own car or not is irrelevant. Nobody forces you to have one.
3. The holiday is a different matter. I still don think it should be a given to expect them to pay. just say there was a misunderstanding and cancel it for yourself. You should have asked and they should have made it clear. I would rather spend the holiday with the gf etc. No idea of how well off your parents are. I wouldnt be wasting money on holidays when they arent helping you at uni.
4. Not seeing why you feel obligated to go. Sort it out now and cancel. just say you dont have the money to spare (you dont) and you could be using that for books or food etc.

Well I'm about £3500 off the maximum, which if you use SFE logic that's how much the should pay. About right I've used £2500 of my own savings this year at uni. They just think because I worked and saved up they don't have to pay for anything.

The car isn't a separate issue, it's at home, I don't have it at uni. The only reason I have it is so I can can get to my summer job. My parents have 2 cars, one of which isn't used during the week because my dad has a company van. I suggested I could just use that for the 8 weeks in the summer I'm working and of course I'd pay the fuel and that on it. But no, so I have to keep a car.

To say that I'm spoiled because I thought they were offering to take me on holiday is quite upsetting actually... I've never once asked them for anything
Never assume your expenses are going to be covered by someone else, include your parents.

Welcome to adulthood.
Well I'm about £3500 off the maximum, which if you use SFE logic that's how much the should pay. About right I've used £2500 of my own savings this year at uni. They just think because I worked and saved up they don't have to pay for anything.

The car isn't a separate issue, it's at home, I don't have it at uni. The only reason I have it is so I can can get to my summer job. My parents have 2 cars, one of which isn't used during the week because my dad has a company van. I suggested I could just use that for the 8 weeks in the summer I'm working and of course I'd pay the fuel and that on it. But no, so I have to keep a car.

To say that I'm spoiled because I thought they were offering to take me on holiday is quite upsetting actually... I've never once asked them for anything

Ive already said they should pay for their share as you are still their responsibility for the purpose of uni and the amount they should contribute.

Upsetting?? Are you serious? As ive stated a number of times I dont think you have a right to expect them to pay. there has been a misunderstanding. Just dont go and find an alternative with your gf.
Reply 16
Original post by Lucid Loxodonta
Never assume your expenses are going to be covered by someone else, include your parents.

Welcome to adulthood.

"Adults" who are at uni and have sufficiently wealthy parents can legitimately expect support from them.

Well this is a wierd one. Don't pay. Just say "I'm sorry I thought you invited me as a gift, I would prefer not to go as I don't have the money for that just now". You're totally in the right here because nothing should be booked before any financials have been confirmed. You can't buy something and then demand money.
You are a fully grown adult now. You need to learn to support yourself and not expect everything to be covered by the bank of mum and dad. I think it is rather selfish that you just expected them to pay for your holiday out of their own pocket.
In my opinion I'd have expected my parents to tell me I would need to pay. They must have given you no information about how much it would cost. To be fair, who books a holiday without knowing the costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending