The Student Room Group

University accommodation

Hi there,
I plan to go university next year and go university accomodation however my parents are not supportive with this decision at all. I do not want to stay with them any longer than I have to because they constantly threaten me and constantly starts arguments with me. additionally, they are extremely controlling and don't want to continue that any longer. The problem however, is that I don't know where I will get my money from as I know they won't support my application when applying for maintenance loan. I should have at least 3200 money saved up but I know that isn't even nearly enough to fund for my life for university. Does anyone have advice for circumstances like mine?
Original post by localtrashu
Hi there,
I plan to go university next year and go university accomodation however my parents are not supportive with this decision at all. I do not want to stay with them any longer than I have to because they constantly threaten me and constantly starts arguments with me. additionally, they are extremely controlling and don't want to continue that any longer. The problem however, is that I don't know where I will get my money from as I know they won't support my application when applying for maintenance loan. I should have at least 3200 money saved up but I know that isn't even nearly enough to fund for my life for university. Does anyone have advice for circumstances like mine?

You would still be able to apply for a maintenance loan without parental support, but that would mean that you would be awarded the minimum amount if evidence of household income isn't submitted. To give you an idea, the minimum maintenance loan amount for a student living away from home at a uni outside London for 2023-24 is £4,651 (it usually increases a little each year). Accommodation for a year at most unis will cost more than that and then you will have living costs on top.

Your options? There are a couple of organisations that you might be able to apply to for support:

The Unite Foundation: https://thisisusatuni.org/
Buttle UK: https://buttleuk.org/apply-for-a-grant/

You should also look at uni websites to see if they offer bursaries for students in financial hardship, and choose a uni in a location where accommodation costs are relatively low.

Consider taking a gap year to top up your savings to an amount that will get you through your course, or consider taking a part-time job at uni (if you can fit it in with your study timetable). Also bear in mind that you might also need accommodation over the summer holidays if you decide to break contact with your parents.

What course are you considering? Some healthcare courses are eligible for additional support from the NHS Learning Support Fund in the form of an annual training grant of £5,000 or £6,000 per year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending