The Student Room Group

What extra curriculars do you know that look good to study law at uni?

Do you know any programmes/extra curriculars/work experience/places for volunteer work that I can join?
Thanks in advance! 😊
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Drama is surprisingly a big one, even if you just want to be a solicitor. Do some coaching of a sport but also play in a team as well. Get a few grades in soemthing (like Drama).
Maybe philosophy club, or a debating society ^-^
Tbh you dont need to waste your time with work exp or volunteering for univeristy applications unless its for medicine or dentistry or if your applying to oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You can work shadow at solicitors if you have the contacts. I shadowed some in BLP Manchester and had it on my personal statement. Also you can go watch some trials, I think the magistrates is open to anyone for over 14 but im not sure. I watched criminal proceedings at the old Bailey and attended the Supreme Court for a few days which all helped add to my statement. Anything related to legal work will help.
Original post by Elena 365
Do you know any programmes/extra curriculars/work experience/places for volunteer work that I can join?
Thanks in advance! 😊

I echo what Ray04 said. If you can find any legal work, definitely go for that. It will help you out in the long run.
I did debating, mock trial, and mooting. Don't worry much about work experience! I did two during the summer before I applied, but ended up not talking about them at all in my application because there wasn't enough space in my personal statement. Honestly, work experience for law at this stage isn't useful for applications specifically, but just to give you an idea of what being a lawyer is like. Additionally, it is unlikely that you'll be doing anything meaningful, since no law firms will entrust high school students with anything important (at least in the ones I went to)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending