The Student Room Group

Starting a charity on UCAS application?

So my friends and I have discussed starting a charity in Hong Kong before and now it's starting to get into action with a website and my friend has started coding and app for pupils to use for free to study English. We want to give free tuition over summer to disadvantaged pupils. However, whilst I am doing this out of passion (to clarify I'm not those people who start non profits for CV) I just wanna know if this might be helpful in my law application especially top unis like Oxbridge when I apply in two years. Since I can start a charity at any point in my life if it didn't help me get into uni I would just spend more time on academic supracurriculars rather than starting a charity now.
Original post by antique-prescrip
So my friends and I have discussed starting a charity in Hong Kong before and now it's starting to get into action with a website and my friend has started coding and app for pupils to use for free to study English. We want to give free tuition over summer to disadvantaged pupils. However, whilst I am doing this out of passion (to clarify I'm not those people who start non profits for CV) I just wanna know if this might be helpful in my law application especially top unis like Oxbridge when I apply in two years. Since I can start a charity at any point in my life if it didn't help me get into uni I would just spend more time on academic supracurriculars rather than starting a charity now.

If you can relate it to law, then yes it could be included! Normally I've heard about people doing 20% of their personal statement on extracurriculars (such as this) and 80% on academic things/things directly related to law, such as your studies in school, law books you have read, etc. Perhaps this could be linked to law by talking about relevant skills - working with others, taking on responsibility, managing a project (all skills needed by lawyers/to study law). However, as this will likely be in the 20%, you might want to do a few other things like reading books to mention as well (so, essentially, don't rely on this for the main body of your personal statement). Also, if this is something you enjoy doing, it could be an enjoyable way to spend your time as well 🙂
Original post by lawofducks123
If you can relate it to law, then yes it could be included! Normally I've heard about people doing 20% of their personal statement on extracurriculars (such as this) and 80% on academic things/things directly related to law, such as your studies in school, law books you have read, etc. Perhaps this could be linked to law by talking about relevant skills - working with others, taking on responsibility, managing a project (all skills needed by lawyers/to study law). However, as this will likely be in the 20%, you might want to do a few other things like reading books to mention as well (so, essentially, don't rely on this for the main body of your personal statement). Also, if this is something you enjoy doing, it could be an enjoyable way to spend your time as well 🙂

I havent decided whether to do law for under or post-grad so would be interested to know whether you think it'd be useful for a undergrad history application
Reply 3
It’ll be beneficial for most BA courses, since it shows you as a well rounded person who has contributed, and shows the uni how you are aware of the world around you; however for some courses (like maths), they recommend only talking about academic things/ things related to the subject, so it depends slightly
Unless you find a uni that expressly states they want detail on extra curriculars, (rather than super curriculars), it’s going to be a waste of space for most subjects.

It’s the kind of thing I’d look for in a postgrad applicant rather than an undergrad.
Reply 5
Original post by antique-prescrip

imo mention it but don't dwell on it too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending