The Student Room Group

Taking Mphil/PHD in Conflict Studies/International relations with unrelevant MA

So I originally started uni life studying Music, and graduated with a 2.1 at Kingston University, followed by a Merit MA in Audio Engineering at University of West London. Since then, I have taken a different career route and worked in jobs that are more to do with NGO, Charity and political organisations and was wondering if there would be any possibility with me getting onto an Mphil/PHD in Conflict, international relations or even political science?

I've had a deep held interest in politics and world conflicts since I can remember, and with family spanning across both Turkey and Kurdistan, I am looking to put forward research proposals about either Turkey's military institutions or the future of the Kurdish oil industry in relation to Turkey and other regional neighbours.

My degrees are at a good level, and I definitely understand the topic I want to go in and research, I'm just wondering if many of the Universities in London (Particularly Kings, UCL, LSE, Goldsmiths, SOAS, Birbeck, which I have whittled it down to) would care that my MA is not relevant to the Mphil/PHDs I wish to take?

If anyone has had any experience in this, or could shed some advice I would be eternally grateful,

Thanks for reading,

Ziggy
Original post by Ziggy212

A bit late, this, and I can't really speak on the London institutions of which I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

I think you will be OK, if you play your cards right - relevant experience in the world of work is valuable when applying for PhDs, and coupled with a decent academic background, I think you actually make quite an appealing candidate for the right admissions committee - especially since you've not come from the Politics/IR-undergrad-masters conveyor belt.

As is often mentioned though, if you're looking for funding, it will be difficult (although not impossible) to find it with a 2:1 and a Merit - most funding bodies, realistically, will be looking for people with a 1st and a Distinction (even though this may not be stipulated) - simply because the competition is so stiff.

However, in some ways I think your previous experience does provide an advantage of sorts - something different, at least - and if you can make a strong research proposal, you could certainly be in with a shout.

A little bit off topic - and I'm sure you're not interested in Aberystwyth given your London focus - but there are a couple of people in the department who here who are excellent on Turkey and the surrounding region. More in left field, however, I know of at least one staff member who would be very interested to hear about a project that covers IR and music, if the critical side of things is your bag.

In any case - best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending