The Student Room Group

Mature students: what time was the 'right' time to get back into education or uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SoggyPizza
28 years old and accepted into UWE and Nottingham trent for architecture.

Really was not bothered with school, after years of bullying I was more than happy to doss around in college. Ended up joining a band and went on to do some great things. At 24 years old, I realised it wouldn't pay the bills and decided to join the royal navy.

I wouldn't call it a mistake, as I.learnt so much in the short six months I spent there, but I realised without an education I'd be walked over for the rest of my life.

I left last year and enrolled on an access course. Predicted a distinction, which I'm chuffed with. Unfortunately, I live around snobby people who have been saying they won't think I'll stick at university. I sometimes feel this stigma to entering education at a later age is completely unfair, but after getting upset about it I've decided to show them wrong and be a better person then they ever will be.

Really nice to read the stories of other mature students.

It was a real pleasure to read your post. I would just add, please ignore those people who say you will not stick at University. A lot in my family have PhDs or are teachers and I have kept the fact that I have returned to University to study for a degree a secret for this exact reason. My advice is to take each year/module as it comes and remember that hard work will pay off and you can do it!
Well I'm 27 now and starting Uni in September

I've just completed an Access course at a local college, which would have been a year earlier but they've stopped accepting GCSE equivalents so I had to resit Mathematics last June after a 1 year evening course.

I was told when leaving school not to bother with uni and just get a job that paid, which I did. I spent 6 years climbing the ladder of a job I disliked when my husband and I found out we were expecting, there were some problems encountered during pregnancy that made it difficult to return to the field I had been working in so I started looking for something else.

We could manage on just my husbands wages so we thought sod it, go for it. One year of GCSE Maths, an Access course and 5 conditional offers later I'm off to Uni to do a joint honours degree in subjects I am passionate about that leave some leeway for me to choose what I want to do when I have finished. I have a good idea but right now I am discovering there is much more available than I thought so I'm keeping my options open.

I knew it was time because I won't raise my child to settle for okay. I want to set an example and prove it doesn't matter how old you are or what other responsibilities you have, it can be done if you apply yourself and work hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GenerallyLost
Well I'm 27 now and starting Uni in September

I've just completed an Access course at a local college, which would have been a year earlier but they've stopped accepting GCSE equivalents so I had to resit Mathematics last June after a 1 year evening course.

I was told when leaving school not to bother with uni and just get a job that paid, which I did. I spent 6 years climbing the ladder of a job I disliked when my husband and I found out we were expecting, there were some problems encountered during pregnancy that made it difficult to return to the field I had been working in so I started looking for something else.

We could manage on just my husbands wages so we thought sod it, go for it. One year of GCSE Maths, an Access course and 5 conditional offers later I'm off to Uni to do a joint honours degree in subjects I am passionate about that leave some leeway for me to choose what I want to do when I have finished. I have a good idea but right now I am discovering there is much more available than I thought so I'm keeping my options open.

I knew it was time because I won't raise my child to settle for okay. I want to set an example and prove it doesn't matter how old you are or what other responsibilities you have, it can be done if you apply yourself and work hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazing. Did you have to fund your access course yourself?
You are all stars on this thread.x
Original post by Philip-flop
Amazing. Did you have to fund your access course yourself?

I took at an advanced learner loan which will automatically be written off if I complete my university qualification. Gives me that extra push to get it done too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GenerallyLost
I took at an advanced learner loan which will automatically be written off if I complete my university qualification. Gives me that extra push to get it done too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really? What do you do to get hold of an advanced learner loan?
Oh really? What do you do to get hold of an advanced learner loan?

The college told me about it when I went for my interview for the course. I applied online - if you google it, it should come up.
Was a bit tricky as I don't have a valid passport and my counter signature was a driving instructor from a small family business. I was refused twice because of this, it took a while as I applied by post but a few phone calls fixed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
The college I'm going to gives a bursary for access courses which is nice - but tbh I'd have whacked it on a creditcard and saved the funding for a more expensive year later on.
Original post by Nicoley-oley
Throughout school I was told my grades weren't good enough to pursue a science degree, initially I wanted to be a Vet and my grades were all around between D's and B's so I wasn't exactly 'failing'. By year 10 I had a careers interview and they flat out told me I could never pursue a science career and would be more suited to something more 'realistic'. So I essentially gave up and finished year 11 with average grades, went to college and half assed art A levels since art was my best grade in school. Then tried to get a job in my dead end town and failed. My mother encouraged me to do an NVQ in business and admin to hopefully improve my employability chances and I hated every waking moment of it. I did get a job out of it but a few months in I realised that this wasn't me, I didn't want to be like 52 year old Sally sitting next to me who had been working in the same office for 35 years and hated her life, I wanted to go to university, I wanted to work with animals. Last year I completed my Acces to HE Diploma in Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences and I currently hold offers from all 5 of my universitity choices, including a Russel Group university, and I start a BSc in Zoology and Animal Behaviour degree this coming September. I'll be just turned 23 when I finally go, about 5 years later than most of my friends, but now I'm determined, now is the right time for me. :smile:

Out of interest, were there any exams in your access course?
I am 19 and hope to do an access to nursing course :smile:
Original post by Blackstarr
Out of interest, were there any exams in your access course?

Yes usually one at the end of every module, so rather than a huge wave of exams in May, they're spread throughout the year.
Original post by Nicoley-oley
Yes usually one at the end of every module, so rather than a huge wave of exams in May, they're spread throughout the year.

cool.
Reply 92
I'm 29 and about to begin a course in Civil Engineering at UWE Bristol.

Like many here, I went to Uni when I was 18, believing it was the right choice for me, but I'd never truly considered what I wanted to do. I thought it would just work itself out. I was bright as a kid and did very well in school, so I was able to just wing it for a long time. Until I hit my A-levels. Despite going to a good school, I didn't study and ended up with terrible grades.

I'd never built a work ethic as I'd never had to work hard at something until my A-levels and back then I was more interested in making friends and having fun. Anyway, somehow, I still got accepted into UWE back in 2005. I started with Forensic Science, which changed to Applied Science the following year, but I couldn't stick with it. I just didn't have the motivation to study.

I worked a variety of jobs after leaving. Mostly Customer Service and Admin, but in different industries. Retail, Tobacco, Finance and a few others. The jobs were all terrible fits for me. I felt so confined and I know I've been missing out on a more fulfilling career.

Sometimes in life, we have to learn things the hard way and on our own. I'm not sure I could get in a Delorean, go back in time and convince my 18 year old self to buckle down and work hard. I just wasn't ready back then. I had to go through some hard times to realise what I had.

I've had a lot of personal issues to work through, but I'm in a better head-space now and I'm more motivated.

I am also very fortunate that because of my previous study at UWE, they will allow me to return for my original fee rate which is £1300 a year. So, I'll only end up paying £3900 for my degree. That's less than half a year for new students! I'll probably keep this to myself when I meet people on my course...

The money will have to come out of my own pocket and I've saved up enough to go back and support myself. I feel that now I'm the one paying for it, it feels so much more real. When I was 18 and handed a wad of money and an overdraft, I had no appreciation for what I was getting. It took me a while to figure that out. I could blame my upbringing for not preparing me for the real world, but I prefer to look forward and take responsibility for myself.

I wish all students reading this, mature and n00bs alike, the best of luck with their education.
Reply 93
Just thought I'd tell my story, as there are so many inspirational ones in this thread.

Went to University as a mature student at the age of 22 to study Psychology, sadly was hit with severe mental illness at the time which prevented me from staying (was doing really well too). The intervening years were tough, was really gutted I couldnt continue my studies as they were what I wanted to do more than anything, but I really had to get a handle on my condition before I commited to something long term. Thankfully I managed to gain some resilience in dealing with the aforementioned health problems, through some therapy but more through just learning to deal I guess, if you have to live with something long enough you learn to cope. Thankfully my University was aware of my situation, and when I asked about returning to my degree course, they were happy to accept me back! So yeah I go back in september at the age of 26 as a second year and as I've had all this free time I've been able to pretty much do all the required reading for next year already, really feeling good about it this time and ready to try my best and see where that gets me! Hopefully will go on to do my Masters and PhD after that and work in the neuroscientific academic field!
Original post by jackbw6
Just thought I'd tell my story, as there are so many inspirational ones in this thread.

Went to University as a mature student at the age of 22 to study Psychology, sadly was hit with severe mental illness at the time which prevented me from staying (was doing really well too). The intervening years were tough, was really gutted I couldnt continue my studies as they were what I wanted to do more than anything, but I really had to get a handle on my condition before I commited to something long term. Thankfully I managed to gain some resilience in dealing with the aforementioned health problems, through some therapy but more through just learning to deal I guess, if you have to live with something long enough you learn to cope. Thankfully my University was aware of my situation, and when I asked about returning to my degree course, they were happy to accept me back! So yeah I go back in september at the age of 26 as a second year and as I've had all this free time I've been able to pretty much do all the required reading for next year already, really feeling good about it this time and ready to try my best and see where that gets me! Hopefully will go on to do my Masters and PhD after that and work in the neuroscientific academic field!

Incredible. Well done for getting your mental illness under control and wanting to go back to study for your degree! :smile:
Reply 95
Incredible. Well done for getting your mental illness under control and wanting to go back to study for your degree! :smile:

Thanks man :smile: feels really good. I mean I know I have bad days and times where I don't feel so good, but I'd rather be doing this degree than anything in the world! And a bit of discomfort is a small price to pay for pursuing your dreams!
Original post by jackbw6

This is an amazing story :smile: I've come at it the other way from you, had physical and mental health stuff going on since A levels (well mental before) and never got to uni as a results. 21 now and about to start psychology, also hoping to do masters/possibly PhD for educational psych or another applied/developmental/healthcare area! Good luck, hope it works out for you :smile: (also come join the MHSS! You don't have to really... :tongue:)
Reply 97
Original post by furryface12
This is an amazing story :smile: I've come at it the other way from you, had physical and mental health stuff going on since A levels (well mental before) and never got to uni as a results. 21 now and about to start psychology, also hoping to do masters/possibly PhD for educational psych or another applied/developmental/healthcare area! Good luck, hope it works out for you :smile: (also come join the MHSS! You don't have to really... :tongue:)

Thanks man :smile: Yeah, I know how disruptive mental health problems can be, seem to take you off your chosen path without much of a choice it seems sometimes! And I definitely feel it even gives you more motivation to succeed so hopefully we'll fly through :biggrin: Ahh wow another Psychology buff! My area's more in Neuroscience/Genetics (Well i hope it is!) although Ive just read my core developmental textbook for year 2, and got to say it was a good read! Thanks :smile: I hope it does too! Definitely got the fire in my belly this time, so hope it is reflected in my grades! You know what I think I'll post in there, didn't realise it existed!
Original post by jackbw6
Thanks man :smile: Yeah, I know how disruptive mental health problems can be, seem to take you off your chosen path without much of a choice it seems sometimes! And I definitely feel it even gives you more motivation to succeed so hopefully we'll fly through :biggrin: Ahh wow another Psychology buff! My area's more in Neuroscience/Genetics (Well i hope it is!) although Ive just read my core developmental textbook for year 2, and got to say it was a good read! Thanks :smile: I hope it does too! Definitely got the fire in my belly this time, so hope it is reflected in my grades! You know what I think I'll post in there, didn't realise it existed!

Yeah they are, I have chronic fatigue syndrome and other physical stuff too which have completely thrown me off. On the up now though, mentally at least and physical is as under control as it's ever going to be. It really does :smile: and genetics is so interesting, not really got any experience with neuroscience but hopefully that'll change pretty soon! I love developmental stuff, autism and related conditions in particularly. Sure it will be, just keep stress down as best you can, look after yourself and sure you'll do brilliantly :biggrin: And yay! It's not as active as it has been at times in the past, that probably makes it easier to join though tbh. I was terrified first time I posted but yeah :redface:
Reply 99
Original post by furryface12
Yeah they are, I have chronic fatigue syndrome and other physical stuff too which have completely thrown me off. On the up now though, mentally at least and physical is as under control as it's ever going to be. It really does :smile: and genetics is so interesting, not really got any experience with neuroscience but hopefully that'll change pretty soon! I love developmental stuff, autism and related conditions in particularly. Sure it will be, just keep stress down as best you can, look after yourself and sure you'll do brilliantly :biggrin: And yay! It's not as active as it has been at times in the past, that probably makes it easier to join though tbh. I was terrified first time I posted but yeah :redface:

Ahh man, Chronic fatigue thats rough, good to hear I can imagine that the mental stuff is as debilitating as the physical stuff at times. Yeah it's so good isn't it! And yeah I reckon you'll love neuroscience if your into genetics, there will definitely be a fair bit about it on your course, should be a blast. Weirdly enough the majority of what I've read about about autism I learnt from my neuroscience book, had an interesting theory that autism and Williams disease (characterised by low IQ but extremely high emotional intelligence, as well as some noticeable physical characteristics) are on the same spectrum, albeit total opposites which leads researchers to believe they may be controlled by the same underlying mechanism, found it fascinating! Let me know if you need any ideas on what books to read during the summer, although Im going into second year I'm sure atleast the developmental book i read should be of some use! Haha yeah, thats the plan :biggrin:. just made my first post! Hopefully it will be a good resource/ support in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending