The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Carer In The Next Decade - Will It Be Viable?

Hi All

I don't want this discussion topic to be negative just real advice from someone who knows pharmacy well detailing its positives and negatives as a career choice.

Positives:
The demand for health care is growing, the profession is evolving, new prospects in GP practices, industry still a good employer with good prospects.

Negatives:
Community pharmacy is dying with little desire from government and NHS leaders to develop it and give it a future, yes health care demand it growing but what we need s doctors and nurses (traditional pharmacist skills are not needed/wanted by the NHS). Lackluster leadership of the profession as the old guard cash out of community pharmacy letting it wither on the vine.

As a pharmacist prescriber working in a GP practice, I work in the new area of the profession, and I enjoy it a lot. However, as I have worked in general practice for some, I understand the weakness and the strengths of pharmacists versus the other professionals nurses, paramedics and doctors. Pharmacists are a valuable accompaniment to the other health professions, but because of their limited area of expertise they will only ever be a small part in primary care. This is a shame as there are many good pharmacists, but it is a reality as what we need is more doctors and nurses with skillsets of diagnosis, risk management, and personal care. I basically have evolved to become a hybrid nurse practitioner/under trained doctor.

If I were looking at a pharmacy degree now I would not do it (and I would not let my children study it) as automation of the dispensing will decimate the demand for the profession as jobs in the community with disappear over the next 10 years. See email sent by the Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond to the Prime Minister, basically wanting a NHS mail order ONLY pharmacy.

I would recommend that qualified pharmacists are given access courses to re-train to become doctors, nurses, paramedics and dentists - this is what healthcare needs.

So my advice is spend you hard earned student loans on a degree which will give you a good carer with prospects, look at optometry, medicine, dentistry, paramedics, nursing. Its sad to say this but the profession needs to shrink in size to be viable in the future.

Good luck with your studies, hope the above helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by whydopharmacy
Hi All

I dont want this discussion topic to be negative just real advice form someone who knows pharmacy well detailing its positives and negatives as a carer choice.

Positives:
The demand for health care is growing, the profession is evolving, new prospects in GP practices, industry still a good employer with good prospects.

Negatives:
Community pharmacy is dying with little desire from government and NHS leaders to develop it and give it a future, yes health care demand it growing but what we need s doctors and nurses (traditional pharmacist skills are not needed/wanted by the NHS). Lack luster leadership of the profession as the old guard cash out of community pharmacy letting it wither on the vine.

As a pharmacist prescriber working in a GP practice, I work in the new area of the profession, and I enjoy it a lot. However, as I am a partner in the practice I understand the weakness and the strengths of pharmacists versus the other professionals nurses, paramedics and doctors. Pharmacists are a valuable accompaniment to the other health professions, but beause of their limited area of expertise they will only ever be a small part in primary care. This is a shame as there are many good pharmacists, but it is a reality as what we need is more doctors and nurses with skillsets of diagnosis, risk management, and personal care. I basically have evolved to become a hybrid nurse practitioner/ under trained doctor.

If I were looking at a pharmacy degree now I would not do it (and I would not let my children study it) as automation of the dispensing will decimate the demand for the profession as jobs in the community with disapear over the next 10 years. See email sent by the chancellor of the exchequer Philip Howe to the Prime Minister, basically wanting a NHS mail order ONLY pharmacy.

I would reccommend that quaified pharmacists are given access courses to re-train to become doctors, nurses, paramedics and dentists - this is what healthcare needs.

So my advice is spend you hard earned student loans on a degree which will give you a good carer with prospects, look at optometry, medicine, dentistry, paramedics, nursing. Its sad to say this but the profession needs to shrink in size to be viable in the future.

This was a very interesting insight. As a graduate, some of those professions aren't open for me to pursue. I've recently been considering training as a pharmacy tech as I would like to get a career in healthcare. While I have considered nursing, it would take me a minimum of 2 years to train, which I can't really afford to do and funding is so up in the air at the moment. What do you think the prospects are for pharmacy techs? I presume, given your fairly damning thoughts on pharmacists, you don't think the prospect for pharmacy techs is good?
Original post by StayEvergreen
This was a very interesting insight. As a graduate, some of those professions aren't open for me to pursue. I've recently been considering training as a pharmacy tech as I would like to get a career in healthcare. While I have considered nursing, it would take me a minimum of 2 years to train, which I can't really afford to do and funding is so up in the air at the moment. What do you think the prospects are for pharmacy techs? I presume, given your fairly damning thoughts on pharmacists, you don't think the prospect for pharmacy techs is good?

The pharmacy technician's role are more at risk as the role is in the main repetitive and simple to be automated (see recent PWC report: http://pwc.blogs.com/press_room/2017/03/up-to-30-of-existing-uk-jobs-could-be-impacted-by-automation-by-early-2030s-but-this-should-be-offse.html).

I would look for apprentice roles if money is an issue, you will find nurse training which will involve working while studying, and the VERY big bonus is no university will make you rack up a ridiculous sized student loan!! See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nursing-degree-apprenticeships-factsheet/nursing-degree-apprenticeship-factsheet
Hi All

I dont want this discussion topic to be negative just real advice form someone who knows pharmacy well detailing its positives and negatives as a carer choice.

Positives:

Negatives:
Community pharmacy is dying with little desire from government and NHS leaders to develop it and give it a future, yes health care demand it growing but what we need s doctors and nurses (traditional pharmacist skills are not needed/wanted by the NHS). Lack luster leadership of the profession as the old guard cash out of community pharmacy letting it wither on the vine.

As a pharmacist prescriber working in a GP practice, I work in the new area of the profession, and I enjoy it a lot. However, as I am a partner in the practice I understand the weakness and the strengths of pharmacists versus the other professionals nurses, paramedics and doctors. Pharmacists are a valuable accompaniment to the other health professions, but beause of their limited area of expertise they will only ever be a small part in primary care. This is a shame as there are many good pharmacists, but it is a reality as what we need is more doctors and nurses with skillsets of diagnosis, risk management, and personal care. I basically have evolved to become a hybrid nurse practitioner/ under trained doctor.

If I were looking at a pharmacy degree now I would not do it (and I would not let my children study it) as automation of the dispensing will decimate the demand for the profession as jobs in the community with disapear over the next 10 years. See email sent by the chancellor of the exchequer Philip Howe to the Prime Minister, basically wanting a NHS mail order ONLY pharmacy.

I would reccommend that quaified pharmacists are given access courses to re-train to become doctors, nurses, paramedics and dentists - this is what healthcare needs.

I find your post VERY interesting. Are you an IP then? And even you are saying don't do it???
How long have you been qualified?

But the Uni's are spinning the myth that everyone can be a GP practice pharmacist aren't they?

Thank you for being honest with the 6th formers on here.

(ps. it's Phillip Hammond!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by crazy.chemist
I find your post VERY interesting. Are you an IP then? And even you are saying don't do it???
How long have you been qualified?

But the Uni's are spinning the myth that everyone can be a GP practice pharmacist aren't they?

Thank you for being honest with the 6th formers on here.

(ps. it's Phillip Hammond!)

Yes it is, der I was having a moment! And yes IP, worked in GP practice for 8 years.

For the reasons above if i was a leader in the profession I would be looking to negotiate a training packages for at least 10,000-15,000 spare pharmacists (we are short of GPs and nurses), let alone the ones that the Universities are churning our irrespective of the lack of demand. See Centre for workforce intelligence report on the over supply they reckon there will be 19,000 excess pharmacists.

Sorry but until the profession shrinks to meet expected demand I - very reluctantly cannot recommend it as a career, when there are many better choices for undergraduates.
Yes it is, der I was having a moment! And yes IP, worked in GP practice for 8 years.

For the reasons above if i was a leader in the profession I would be looking to negotiate a training packages for at least 10,000-15,000 spare pharmacists (we are short of GPs and nurses), let alone the ones that the Universities are churning our irrespective of the lack of demand. See Centre for workforce intelligence report on the over supply they reckon there will be 19,000 excess pharmacists.

Sorry but until the profession shrinks to meet expected demand I - very reluctantly cannot recommend it as a career, when there are many better choices for undergraduates.

I totally agree with you so much so, that I have decided not to do the IP course or take up a CCG post which I nearly did last summer and have put capital into a new co-owned non-pharmacy retail/entertainment company.

I feel you are very brave coming on here and saying this stuff, most people who come on here who have been qualified 5/10/20+ yrs , etc just get shouted down or abused or ignored, so well done.

Totally agree about the far too many pharmacists, and why aren't the GPHC making the Unis do anything about it, like setting a cap. By 2025 there will be mass pharmacist unemployment but I will be gone by then Thank God.

Please tell us more about you (as much as you can) and your thoughts on this over-supply. It's so refreshing to see a qualified pharmacist and IP on here speaking the truth !! Excellent !!

I would imagine your colleagues would disagree with you and think the future is bright in GP land?
But what happens when GPs have to fund this all themselves? Will it all fall apart and there be even more people from your area of GP work looking for work?

Why is no-one talking about this, the Bigwigs, I mean? This is a ticking time bomb and being totally ignored by the GPHC and RPS and the UNIs .

You should add your posts to the thread on 'Poor pharmacist career prospects, what the units don't tell you'
(edited 7 years ago)
I totally agree with you so much so, that I have decided not to do the IP course or take up a CCG post which I nearly did last summer and have put capital into a new co-owned non-pharmacy retail/entertainment company.

I feel you are very brave coming on here and saying this stuff, most people who come on here who have been qualified 5/10/20+ yrs , etc just get shouted down or abused or ignored, so well done.

Totally agree about the far too many pharmacists, and why aren't the GPHC making the Unis do anything about it, like setting a cap. By 2025 there will be mass pharmacist unemployment but I will be gone by then Thank God.

Please tell us more about you (as much as you can) and your thoughts on this over-supply. It's so refreshing to see a qualified pharmacist and IP on here speaking the truth !! Excellent !!

I would imagine your colleagues would disagree with you and think the future is bright in GP land?
But what happens when GPs have to fund this all themselves? Will it all fall apart and there be even more people from your area of GP work looking for work?

Why is no-one talking about his, the Bigwigs, I mean? This is a ticking time bomb and being totally ignore by the GPHC and RPS and the UNIs .

You should add your posts to the thread on 'Poor pharmacist career prospects, what the units don't tell you'

Hi Crazy Chemist

Thanks for your comments too, sometimes it is good to be open and honest and if we support students who are taking a huge risk and debt to take on a career which could be on the decline then there is some value in it.

Why don't the university and the professional leaders say anything about it? Well we live in a capitalist system which means everyone has to earn a buck, maybe its that! Pharmacy is a high level degree course and the universities get well remunerated, and the professional bodies need membership.

Dont get me wrong like I said in my original post I love my role in the practice, however I would be more useful to the practice as a nurse practitioner or a doctor (sometimes I wish i never did physics - meant i missed the entry requirements for medicine). When I say what we need in the NHS I am talking strategically, we need nurses and doctors, yes of course we need pharmacists but by education they are too focussed on the medicines, the NHS needs more generalist skills and diagnostic skills. I think and hope the NHS will remunerate practices to have pharmacists, but even then the number of pharmacists in practice will be 0.5FTE to 0.75FTE per 7,600 average practice, so employing 3,500-4,250 ish. To put this into context there are 22,000 jobs at risk in community and if 3,000 pharmacies are closed (highly likely) then there is 1.5 FTE pharmacists per pharmacy so 4,500 ish. Hence the profession does not use up the over supply.

To be fair to the RPS they are trying to evolve the profession and keep its size, but just like the telephonists in the 1920s it cant avoid its destiny. Sorry to be so negative but until the profession re-sizes I cant be positive on the career prospects for ALL the new graduates.

Good luck with you career, I hope it works for you!

Kind regards
Hi Crazy Chemist

Thanks for your comments too, sometimes it is good to be open and honest and if we support students who are taking a huge risk and debt to take on a career which could be on the decline then there is some value in it.

Why don't the university and the professional leaders say anything about it? Well we live in a capitalist system which means everyone has to earn a buck, maybe its that! Pharmacy is a high level degree course and the universities get well remunerated, and the professional bodies need membership.

Dont get me wrong like I said in my original post I love my role in the practice, however I would be more useful to the practice as a nurse practitioner or a doctor (sometimes I wish i never did physics - meant i missed the entry requirements for medicine). When I say what we need in the NHS I am talking strategically, we need nurses and doctors, yes of course we need pharmacists but by education they are too focussed on the medicines, the NHS needs more generalist skills and diagnostic skills. I think and hope the NHS will remunerate practices to have pharmacists, but even then the number of pharmacists in practice will be 0.5FTE to 0.75FTE per 7,600 average practice, so employing 3,500-4,250 ish. To put this into context there are 22,000 jobs at risk in community and if 3,000 pharmacies are closed (highly likely) then there is 1.5 FTE pharmacists per pharmacy so 4,500 ish. Hence the profession does not use up the over supply.

To be fair to the RPS they are trying to evolve the profession and keep its size, but just like the telephonists in the 1920s it cant avoid its destiny. Sorry to be so negative but until the profession re-sizes I cant be positive on the career prospects for ALL the new graduates.

Good luck with you career, I hope it works for you!

Kind regards

Thanks for all that
So even if every GP surgery had a pharmacist half to 2/3rd a week there would STILL be a massive over-supply
That's a lot of unemployed pharmacists !!

May i ask when you qualified?
What about Biochemistry? Is that a better bet than Pharmacy? My son is undecided. He speaks English, Spanish and French. A* A* A A (Spanish, Marine Science, Biology, Chemistry.) A grade at AS French and he us about to do his B2 in French. Spanish he did in year 12. The others are predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is pharmacy that bad? Wow tonight TSR is all about that. Idk why.

So becoming a nurse is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Antonia Jane
What about Biochemistry? Is that a better bet than Pharmacy? My son is undecided. He speaks English, Spanish and French. A* A* A A (Spanish, Marine Science, Biology, Chemistry.) A grade at AS French and he us about to do his B2 in French. Spanish he did in year 12. The others are predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Languages combined with something else that he likes

A friend of mine did Japanese with Law
She is raking it in !!!

Spanish with Chemistry/Biochem with a yr abroad??

Or French and Chem/Biochem Work in France or Canada???
so many options!!!! so much choice the lucky boy!
DO NOT DO PHARMACY with all his language skills
We will need interpreters now with Brexit. Especially if we take with Latin America

Spanish and a science with a yr abroad with a view to working in a pharma co in Latin America or here and liasing with them?
Or stuck in a high street chemist wasting all those skills putting labels on boxes ????

Pl;ease let us know what he decides? I'm so excited for him !!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by My Moon <3
Is pharmacy that bad? Wow tonight TSR is all about that. Idk why.

So becoming a nurse is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and Yes

Become an advanced practitioner prescribing nurse on 40 to 50 k a yr!! better than a pharmacist . Run your own clinics, at the mo, no GPs, nurses will have to up-skill to pick up the slack , go for it !!

She is raking it in !!!

We will need interpreters now with Brexit. Especially if we take with Latin America

Spanish and a science with a yr abroad with a view to working in a pharma co in Latin America or here and liasing with them?
Or stuck in a high street chemist wasting all those skills putting labels on boxes ????

He doesn't want to do law - patent law is a good move for someone with a degree in a science.

We actually live in Spain - my son goes to an International School. The degree choices are very, very limited - the funtamental science subjects plus medicine, nursing, dentristy etc and biochem or pharmacy. Nothing like the UK options - he simply does not want to go to the UK. It's about €1800 a year to study in Spain. He would have to do biochemistry in Spanish but there is the option, with the top grades to do pharmacy in English.

What is the difference between having 3 languages and pharmacy or 3 languages and biochemistry?! He could go to France via Erasmus.

Maths is not my son's strengh. After getting an A at GCSE in maths he started AS maths and lost the will to live after 2 weeks! He feels there is too much genetics in biochemistry.

With his languages would he not have the same opportunities to find emplotment with Pharmacy. He loves Chemistry but at degree level there is too much maths. Hence Biochem or Pharmacy.

Thank you soooo much for all your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a pre-reg pharmacist in a hospital where pharmacists are very much clinically involved and are a huge part of the multi-disciplinary team. Without the pharmacy department, the hospital simply would not function where I work. I love it and am learning so much, I can't believe how much knowledge pharmacists I work with have.
Reply 14
Original post by Twigleheight
I am a pre-reg pharmacist in a hospital where pharmacists are very much clinically involved and are a huge part of the multi-disciplinary team. Without the pharmacy department, the hospital simply would not function where I work. I love it and am learning so much, I can't believe how much knowledge pharmacists I work with have.

I was a hospital pharmacist before I quit. Trust me, the hospital you are working at is rare and I would suggest you stay there if things are that great.

Your story simply isnt true of the 5 hospitals I have worked in, including 2 high profile teaching hospitals. As a pharmacist, you are looked down upon and only seen as someone who signs off the TTO,

She is raking it in !!!

Hi! My son is staying in Spain to do his degree. The degree options here are very limited. He is hoping to do pharmacy in 'Groupo ARA' the high academic performance group. There are only 32 places and he can do the degree in English - a few of the units are in Spanish. The Parmacy degree is recognised nationally and in Europe. If he did biochem it would just be a biochem degree in Spanish from a Spanish university. He wants to go into public health or the World Health Organisation. His predicted grades are high enough to do Pharmacy. A* secured predicted A* A A. If he falls below expectation he has put Environmental Sciences as a fall back.
Any views?! Pharmacy has a lot of transferable skills. He doesn't want to do research or dispense medicines. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am sorry to tell you this but all these warnings to students about choosing pharmacy will barely have any effect. Do you know why? so many of the people doing pharmacy are only doing it because it was either a backup option to some other course which they did not get in to or because pharmacy is a relatively easy healthcare profession course to get in to with a still decent salary. They will not be bothering in checking in detail how the profession is actually doing or where it will be heading before applying. It is rare you will find someone that has chosen pharmacy because they are truly passionate about it. I am guilty of this to some extent. I chose pharmacy because I wanted a career in healthcare and one that did not require too much commitment and one I could study whilst travelling. This is because I am carer and could not move away from where I am living. However, at least I had still researched quite a lot when I was about to chose pharmacy and back when I applied pharmacy was in the same mess it is in today.

But lets not just blame the students. I think we need to blame GPhC and the universities. Until they cap the number of student and to increase entry requirements then many people will always be coming into pharmacy. Furthermore, stop unis from starting pharmacy programs left and right. The utter incompetency of the GPhC is staggering!

In retrospect I still would have applied to pharmacy. I value pharmacy for the medicinal knowledge we attained form the course and working in the pharmacy. I am about to start my pre reg, once I have qualified as a pharmacist I will work for a year or two and then go into medicine. Community pharmacy in this country is not a career I will stay in long term. for people who are already in pharmacy, they should either a) Go back to education and study another course, or b) leave this country and work as a pharmacist in another country.

There is still some hope for community pharmacy in the UK, but regardless I will go into medicine because I have simply realised pharmacy does not provide the adequate training for us to become truly confident and competent IP's in a broad field. I am now more free to study medicine as my carer role is not as much as it used to be.
(edited 6 years ago)
Guys even in America, where pharmacy has traditionally been the most lucrative, due to private healthcare... The annual salary has dipped from $125,000 to $112,000 in the last 6 years. (bearing in mind tax is often 40% for US pharmacists, so take home pay is closer to $75,000 p/a or £58,000. In the UK the average is now £34,000 down from £40,000 about 7 years ago.

This is what happens when supply becomes too saturated and jobs are streamlined due to government policy, new technology and business profit-seeking. There is no regulation on numbers entering the profession but we are already seeing cutbacks on job opportunities.

Any sane person would see this is a disastrous situation. For the sake of your futures, don't embark on a 4 year pharmacy masters.

You can earn more as a science teacher with several years experience, and get paid up to £30,000 p/a to train.

Latest

Trending

Trending