The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

what verification does ucl ask for young carers

can someone please let me know what type of verification UCL ask when theyve looked at your application on UCAS about being a young carer. I dont know if I am one but i submitted my application with a tick in the box and my school has mentioned it in my reference i think.
Are you registered as a carer with your GP or local council social services?
If you are a carer then you should register as one with your GP and council regardless of what UCL ask for. It’s Carer’s Rights Week soon - you’re entitled to support from your council and GP - registering is easy and quick.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Are you registered as a carer with your GP or local council social services?
If you are a carer then you should register as one with your GP and council regardless of what UCL ask for. It’s Carer’s Rights Week soon - you’re entitled to support from your council and GP - registering is easy and quick.

Is there any other way?
Reply 3
Guys idk if I’m a young carer to put on UCAS for the contextual offers and I don’t wanna say I am one and then realise I don’t have the verification required.I don’t have time to get registered. Do you think it’s okay if my teachers mention it in my reference but I don’t tick the box? It’s okay if I don’t get the contextual offer per se I just want universities to be aware? But is that allowed? Like just writing it in the reference and not ticking it on UCAS?
Reply 4
Original post by hahaaddie
Guys idk if I’m a young carer to put on UCAS for the contextual offers and I don’t wanna say I am one and then realise I don’t have the verification required.I don’t have time to get registered. Do you think it’s okay if my teachers mention it in my reference but I don’t tick the box? It’s okay if I don’t get the contextual offer per se I just want universities to be aware? But is that allowed? Like just writing it in the reference and not ticking it on UCAS?

Defiantly let your teachers put it in on references but this would mean that some universities might want extra information later after you send off your application. This would just help you more with what they can give you in terms of accommodation and deadlines
Reply 5
Original post by bethany145
Defiantly let your teachers put it in on references but this would mean that some universities might want extra information later after you send off your application. This would just help you more with what they can give you in terms of accommodation and deadlines

so it's okay if i dont tick the "young carer" box on the UCAS application itself but mention it in my reference?
Original post by Anonymous
Is there any other way?

What do you mean? Why don’t you want to register as a carer with your GP? It takes 5 minutes.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
What do you mean? Why don’t you want to register as a carer with your GP? It takes 5 minutes.

its just that idk if i am a young carer. i have a younger autistic brother who i help take care of but this could just be seen as a sibling casually helping around the house kinda of thing. my parents would have to go out of their way to access this registration, i know it only takes 5 minutes but things are tense right now
its just that idk if i am a young carer. i have a younger autistic brother who i help take care of but this could just be seen as a sibling casually helping around the house kinda of thing. my parents would have to go out of their way to access this registration, i know it only takes 5 minutes but things are tense right now

Your parents don’t have to be involved. If you’re applying for university then you’re old enough to talk to your GP yourself.

If you don’t know if you’re a carer and you aren’t willing to register as one then why on earth would you tick that you are one on a legally binding application?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Your parents don’t have to be involved. If you’re applying for university then you’re old enough to talk to your GP yourself.

If you don’t know if you’re a carer and you aren’t willing to register as one then why on earth would you tick that you are one on a legally binding application?

it hasnt been sent off to UCAS yet and the school have sent it back to me so its up to me. do you think its okay if i have it in my refernece but i dont tick the box.
it hasnt been sent off to UCAS yet and the school have sent it back to me so its up to me. do you think its okay if i have it in my refernece but i dont tick the box.

You either are a carer (in which case register with your GP and tick the box) or you’re not (in which case you need to know exactly what your reference is claiming).
As explained on your other thread it takes about 5 minutes to register as a carer with your GP. If you are a carer then you should do this. You will then also have evidence should any university require it.
Original post by hahaaddie
so it's okay if i dont tick the "young carer" box on the UCAS application itself but mention it in my reference?

Yes that’s fine it’s literally just sometimes university will also take notice it’s doesn’t have to be put on the government website or anything
guys help im kinda in a tough situation right now, I ticked young carer on my UCAS, and before I was able to get verification from my GP - the person that I cared for (my grandma) died :frown: im not sure what to do now since I obviously cannot apply but when UCL ask me what do I say?
Original post by lovrcide
guys help im kinda in a tough situation right now, I ticked young carer on my UCAS, and before I was able to get verification from my GP - the person that I cared for (my grandma) died :frown: im not sure what to do now since I obviously cannot apply but when UCL ask me what do I say?

just explain the truth

Have you looked on UCAS whether you can amend your details to unflag yourself as a young carer?
Original post by lovrcide
Call up UCL/UCAS
Original post by PQ
just explain the truth
Have you looked on UCAS whether you can amend your details to unflag yourself as a young carer?

I called UCAS and they were able to amend it pretty easily!! tysm
Original post by Anonymous #1
Call up UCL/UCAS

Followed your advice and called them and they fixed it within 5 minutes, tysm!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending