The Student Room Group

I miss the 90's when I was a kid, no internet and no smartphones and no terrorism...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anfanny
Me too it's crazy what's happening right now in our own back yard after Westminster last week.

If the government won't start being very aggressive about this issue ( which they probably won't ) I am afraid this is just the beginning...
Original post by FuturisticCola
If the government won't start being very aggressive about this issue ( which they probably won't ) I am afraid this is just the beginning...

Oh I guarantee it is just the beginning. There's a definite need to find out how it can be stopped.
Original post by Anfanny
Oh I guarantee it is just the beginning. There's a definite need to find out how it can be stopped.

The government knows EXACTLY what needs to be done to stop all of this insanity...

But they are afraid to / don't want to do it...
I miss 2009 when the hottest girls were on babestation
Reply 64
When I mentioned terrorism , I meant islamic terrorism.
They are all refering to the IRA.

That's completely out of order. You only talk about Islamic Terrorism when terrorism occurs around the whole world by a range of people.

Terrorism: The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Are the Americans not terrorists for intervening in Iraq?

On another point, how do you expect us to read your mind? It's not logical. Terrorism is a wider issue that needs to be sorted as a whole, not in chunks. Sorting it in chunks is called discrimination, and that's the reason we have terrorists.
I was born in 1992.
I remember the time before the internet and smartphones.
Everything was much cooler back then.

Plus you could walk the street without being afraid of a terrorist running you down with a car or stabbing you....

Oh dear...

I too was born in 1992. I, however, am not ignorant.

The IRA bombed London four times in five years (including one attack in which they launched mortars at Downing Street, trying to wipe out John Major and his cabinet), followed by Manchester in June 1996 (this is after an attack in 1992). Then the splinter-group the "Real" IRA bombed Omagh in 1998 because they opposed the Good Friday Agreement.

Let's not forget an Islamist group bombing a train station in Paris, the domestic terrorism in Atlanta in the US, the 1993 World Trade Centre bombing...this is only a very short list. The 1990s were not a time free from terror.

Seriously, terrorism isn't a recent invention. It's been going on since the dawn of time itself in some form or another.

Yeah, things were cooler before everybody became zombified by smart phones and social media, but we also had Tony Blair and New Labour to contend with.

And people say sociology is a pointless subject to study...

I suggest you open some books. Or at least logon to Wikipedia.
That is the most widespread damage by one object. Every other attack was a bomb or a gun. No one has used a vehicle and it's top 5 on the list of Lobdon attacks because of how many deaths, injuries and where it took place. The largest disruption being the tube coded messages and the largest injuries were by the July 7th attacks and the tube attacks. This is very scary. Oh dear. But they're low tech does this mean that the 90s were worse with no technology!
You have your nostalgia glasses on. The world is a better place than it was before. Plus, there have always been terrorist attacks
Reply 68
Original post by erxci
The internet was widely available in the UK in the early 90's, that's a fact.

In 1992, a prototype phone was created and deemed the world's first smart phone. In 1996, the smart phone was introduced.

I think you need to check your facts.

It wasn't widely available since the 90's
It may had been there, but most people didn't have it, we [my family] got dial-up in the late 90's and were like a couple years behind most people. Definitely 1995ish very few people had internet.

As for phones, everyone had either the Nokia 3210 if they were cool, and something like the 3310 [I forget] If they were super cool. Smart phones [what we today would regard as smartphones] were like non existent.

It was definately way after 2000 till you started seeing people with them
(edited 7 years ago)
The 90s was awesome, great music. Clubbing was actually brilliant.

Get in a fight? Had a one night stand? No one would ever know. No social media, no smart phone, no boss asking you to work short notice (ignore the phone call), no 'flexible working' (i.e. unpaid work in the evenings and weekend at home via internet).

PS - No terrorism? Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo....
(edited 7 years ago)
On what planet or alternative reality do you live in ???

1 ) The internet became widespread from about 2001, no one save for a very few was using the internet even in 1999.

2 ) Smartphones were introduced in 2008.

1) dont remind me of dial up and crap PCs /macs that kept crashing everytime you tried doing more than 1 thing.

2) smartphones been around for longer (nokia n95 (1st consumer smartphone) & iphone (progenator for most popular smartphone series) are both 2007; PDAs were around for longer ie early 2000's but mainly used in enterprise / by business people)
Original post by Prisoner 24601
The 90s was awesome, great music. Clubbing was actually brilliant.

Get in a fight? Had a one night stand? No one would ever know. No social media, no smart phone, no boss asking you to work short notice (ignore the phone call), no 'flexible working' (i.e. unpaid work in the evenings and weekend at home via internet).

PS - No terrorism? Northern ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo....

music I wont deny (late 90s and early 00s favs of mine re: western music). the clubbing scene no idea as I didnt reach puberty till early/mid 00s.

flexi hours was there from what I remember and from what my dad told me but agree about flexible working and short notice work.
There have always been terrorist. Guy Fawks wanted to blow up parliament, isn't that terrorism? The Lockerbie bombing in 1988, was that not terrorism? In the 70's Britain was at threat of the atomic bomb, is that not terrorism?

I agree with you on the mobile phones. I hate them!
Today is better than the 90's. I prefer technology. When harnessed it's incredibly powerful both personally and forwarding advancement of our nation/planet in general. Elon Musk's SpaceX is the stuff of dreams!

I think we have more opportunities now. The online world is a portal to everything - education, shopping, commerce, travel...I open a new company in minutes and transfer money in seconds. In the 90's it took 5 business days to do a simple bacs transfer. You can be an entrepreneur with a laptop and phone.

Social media can be good. I got straight As at A level and that was largely in part to this site. Nobody in my classes were A grade students, whereas i found that community here. You push each other, share ideas, share problems. Then i went to a great uni (Warwick). I honestly wouldn't have aimed so high without this site.
So yes social media can be great If you want to spend your life on Facebook you can. Addiction to anything is bad but don't blame the internet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
No terrorism? I'm sure there were terrorist attacks being committed even then
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
Lmao why do all the old folk chat about the 90's like it was some sort of utopian society.

Not everyone has the same experience... true! Hmm
in those days if something went wrong in your life you would not ask Facebook or Twitter to fix it...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest