The Student Room Group

Mocking me for saying thanks too many times but...

I am learning a new language, i went to the markets (of which many are unfriendly)
So i was buying a phone cable.
He was showing me two cables one long etc. so i said thank you, and then thankyou for something else he said, then he plugged in my phone to show it works so i said thank you and then thank you when i left and paid.

He ripped me off too but when i left he kept saying thankyou thinking i wasn't around and having a joke about me with the woman i guess.

So am i stupid for saying thank you?

Or what?
Reply 1
No
You're just polite :biggrin:
Yeah, awkward behaviour.
alternate it

I use 'thank you' mostly but sometimes

'thanks'

or if Im feeling adventurous might even use a

'cheers'

for those days when Im on a mad one might even say

'appreciate it'

Original post by Flyingaround
I am learning a new language, i went to the markets (of which many are unfriendly)
So i was buying a phone cable.
He was showing me two cables one long etc. so i said thank you, and then thankyou for something else he said, then he plugged in my phone to show it works so i said thank you and then thank you when i left and paid.

He ripped me off too but when i left he kept saying thankyou thinking i wasn't around and having a joke about me with the woman i guess.

So am i stupid for saying thank you?

Or what?

this is why you use

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iqra2159
No
You're just polite :biggrin:

I think it's when they become too helpful that i become to say that too
Original post by ForestShadow
alternate it

I use 'thank you' mostly but sometimes

'thanks'

or if Im feeling adventurous might even use a

'cheers'

for those days when Im on a mad one might even say

'appreciate it'

this is why you use

Yes haha that company i should use. but anyway, i just can't do right with how to talk to people, it seems someone is going to find what i say stupid. But then i wonder would all my friends think i'm stupid for such a small mistake
Original post by Flyingaround
Yes haha that company i should use. but anyway, i just can't do right with how to talk to people, it seems someone is going to find what i say stupid. But then i wonder would all my friends think i'm stupid for such a small mistake

think about it simply this way:

by the time you consider whether you look/sound stupid or think you're being judged, youve already been judged and the person already has found you stupid/ not stupid,basically its usually too late anyway so may as well be yourself.

no one expects perfection, so just try your best!
Reply 7
I think more people should be thankful and appreciative in general so I would say this is a good quality! But as someone else suggested try alternating the phrase every once in a while.

You've done nothing wrong. I can bet that same guy complains about people being rude and unpolite too. If he wants to complain he will find a reason to do so no matter what you do.

Quick Reply

Latest