The Student Room Group

Spending too long revising to get A*s at A Level

I am struggling with the large amount of content for A Levels (history, biology and maths) and how to revise and memorise it all, although I haven’t had a full test yet as I am in year 12. I feel like I'm spending far too long on revision (literally 9am to 10pm on a weekend revising with a few short breaks for food), and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm aiming for all A*s or at least As because I got all 9s at GCSE and I am trying to get into Cambridge, which is the other issue because I have no time for super curriculars. I am spending a lot of time making revision resources and memorising things rather than getting on to practice papers. For biology I keep on writing revision cards from textbooks, using markschemes to highlight key terms and then writing questions on those revision cards to memorise e.g. the current topic test I’m revising for in biology I’ve made 140 questions to answer. For maths specifically ive been going through the questions in the textbook but I end up doing too many and I can’t work out which ones to do and which ones to skip and it’s taking far too long. For gcse I had mathswatch so I could see questions I’d done and harder questions but with the textbook it’s just so much harder to track and I end up spending so long correcting one question like an hour some times working some questions out. Then for history I keep on getting confused on what revision resources to use bc my teacher told me the textbook isn’t enough and she’s given us so many extra articles and stuff and I’m never sure how much to write to memorise, because I feel I’m writing far too much information in my revision resources, and my teacher even told me that there was too much content in my essay. every time I find a new resource I’ve forgotten about I keep on spending hours going back and editing my notes to add info from that article in. Any advice/ help especially specific revision techniques and time management.
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Memorise, understand, and especially for maths and biology do all past papers even from the year 2000 onwards, learn the mark schemes, key terms, read examiners report. The more past papers you realise they like asking certain questions -begin to selectively memorise.
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpoolean
Memorise, understand, and especially for maths and biology do all past papers even from the year 2000 onwards, learn the mark schemes, key terms, read examiners report. The more past papers you realise they like asking certain questions -begin to selectively memorise.

Ok thank you I will start doing past papers maybe they’ll give me a better guide for revision.
Reply 3
Original post by Tse78
I am struggling with the large amount of content for A Levels (history, biology and maths) and how to revise and memorise it all, although I haven’t had a full test yet as I am in year 12. I feel like I'm spending far too long on revision (literally 9am to 10pm on a weekend revising with a few short breaks for food), and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm aiming for all A*s or at least As because I got all 9s at GCSE and I am trying to get into Cambridge, which is the other issue because I have no time for super curriculars. I am spending a lot of time making revision resources and memorising things rather than getting on to practice papers. For biology I keep on writing revision cards from textbooks, using markschemes to highlight key terms and then writing questions on those revision cards to memorise e.g. the current topic test I’m revising for in biology I’ve made 140 questions to answer. For maths specifically ive been going through the questions in the textbook but I end up doing too many and I can’t work out which ones to do and which ones to skip and it’s taking far too long. For gcse I had mathswatch so I could see questions I’d done and harder questions but with the textbook it’s just so much harder to track and I end up spending so long correcting one question like an hour some times working some questions out. Then for history I keep on getting confused on what revision resources to use bc my teacher told me the textbook isn’t enough and she’s given us so many extra articles and stuff and I’m never sure how much to write to memorise, because I feel I’m writing far too much information in my revision resources, and my teacher even told me that there was too much content in my essay. every time I find a new resource I’ve forgotten about I keep on spending hours going back and editing my notes to add info from that article in. Any advice/ help especially specific revision techniques and time management.

I do history, biology and chemistry and what i'm doing so far is for biology, i think save my exams is really good for note taking but tbh i don't really use their questions. Instead use pmt. Honestly, that website is such a lifesaver especially when it comes to doing end of topic assessments for me. But the problem with bio is how specific the mark scheme is. For history, i've made essay plans for the topics that i'm doing by looking at past paper questions and also look at the mark schemes for them because they're actually useful for ideas on what to write in your paragraphs. If you use online flashcards i'd definitely recommend using quizlet and brainscape.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by rxnia
I do history, biology and chemistry and what i'm doing so far is for biology, i think save my exams is really good for note taking but tbh i don't really use their questions. Instead use pmt. Honestly, that website is such a lifesaver especially when it comes to doing end of topic assessments for me. But the problem with bio is how specific the mark scheme is. For history, i've made essay plans for the topics that i'm doing by looking at past paper questions and also look at the mark schemes for them because they're actually useful for ideas on what to write in your paragraphs. If you use online flashcards i'd definitely recommend using quizlet and brainscape.

Thanks so much for the advice, I will try save my exams for revision notes as I am finding the textbooks difficult to condense and accidentally memorising kinda irrelevant information. How have you been able to memorise so much content for a level history and bio before exams, I like to review everything like within a week before exams but I’m finding it hard to do that. I use pmt for practice questions sometimes although I’m reluctant to use it for topic tests because my teachers often use the questions on there in the test, however I have started using it bc I realise how specific the markscheme is. However, one of my bio teachers is really good and teaches us the key vocab we need to use to get marks so I’m kinda ok with the specific markschemes for one side of the course. My other teacher is really passionate about biology but tends to add extra information and rewrite things and not give us what the markschemes are looking for so I am struggling more on that side ( I usually get As in my topic test but on that side I got a C). For history, how do you make essay plans for each topic if there are a limited amount of questions on each topic? E.g. I’m doing the American dream and I don’t think there’s an essay question on Truman’s character and policies in the question bank. Also for your history notes do you just use the textbook or other articles as well and if other articles how many? For example my history teacher has given me 3 textbooks plus usually like 2 articles/ a PowerPoint on the topic to make notes on and she says I need to use the main textbook as a starting point but add in extra knowledge if I want an A*. I’m just feeling like I’m adding too much extra knowledge to my notes and they’re becoming a bit of a mess because I’ve used so many different resources. My teacher also encourages us to just look up things online and add notes from e.g. Wikipedia to our notes sometimes. I just feel like this can’t be right, am I missing something? In terms of online flash cards, I tend to only use them for memorising dates or small pieces of information, never used brainscape before so I might check it out. Thanks again for the help!
Reply 5
Original post by Tse78
Thanks so much for the advice, I will try save my exams for revision notes as I am finding the textbooks difficult to condense and accidentally memorising kinda irrelevant information. How have you been able to memorise so much content for a level history and bio before exams, I like to review everything like within a week before exams but I’m finding it hard to do that. I use pmt for practice questions sometimes although I’m reluctant to use it for topic tests because my teachers often use the questions on there in the test, however I have started using it bc I realise how specific the markscheme is. However, one of my bio teachers is really good and teaches us the key vocab we need to use to get marks so I’m kinda ok with the specific markschemes for one side of the course. My other teacher is really passionate about biology but tends to add extra information and rewrite things and not give us what the markschemes are looking for so I am struggling more on that side ( I usually get As in my topic test but on that side I got a C). For history, how do you make essay plans for each topic if there are a limited amount of questions on each topic? E.g. I’m doing the American dream and I don’t think there’s an essay question on Truman’s character and policies in the question bank. Also for your history notes do you just use the textbook or other articles as well and if other articles how many? For example my history teacher has given me 3 textbooks plus usually like 2 articles/ a PowerPoint on the topic to make notes on and she says I need to use the main textbook as a starting point but add in extra knowledge if I want an A*. I’m just feeling like I’m adding too much extra knowledge to my notes and they’re becoming a bit of a mess because I’ve used so many different resources. My teacher also encourages us to just look up things online and add notes from e.g. Wikipedia to our notes sometimes. I just feel like this can’t be right, am I missing something? In terms of online flash cards, I tend to only use them for memorising dates or small pieces of information, never used brainscape before so I might check it out. Thanks again for the help!

you’re welcome! I’m doing my mocks soon so hopefully the revision I’ve done will pay off. For history I haven’t done a proper exam yet, just essays for homework and small end of topic tests so this will be my first proper exam . I think it all comes down to structure for history icl. The way I’ve made my essay plans is, I’ll go onto save my exams and choose a topic (for example Russia) then I’ll go to each past paper and if I’m making 20 mark essay plans, I’ll go to that question and pick one of the essays to plan. Then I’ll plan out what I’ll write out for each paragraph and do that for each of the past paper question. But with my essay plans I pretty much write out entire essays and then memorise them. Ik it seems long but honestly essay plans and revision notes are what got me through GCSEs so I’m hoping it’ll be the same for a level. When I’m stuck I look at the mark scheme because it’s kinda useful in terms of what you can write and it gives me good ideas especially when I’m writing my counter arguments. For my revision notes, my school make there own booklets so we don’t use text books so I just use the booklet and make revision notes for each lesson. My teacher for Russia has given us some wider reading to do but just as homework. I tend to try and stick to the booklets because when I search stuff up online I’m not sure if it’s that accurate yk.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Tse78

Ngl 13 hour revision sessions in year 12 is crazy. I didn't even do that much in the days leading up to my actual A-levels and got A*s. You really need to pace yourself.

The time is now for super-curriculars because content will ramp up in difficulty in the next year. You could probably get like an A in your year 12 exams and still get away with a predicted A*. And obvs look for work experience and stuff too if you can.

Also, can you use paragraphs, the enormous paragraph is intimidating 😂
Reply 7
Original post by Tse78

For biology, I usually mostly revise flashcards and then test my knowledge using pmt questions. My teacher’s are pretty much the same because they use questions from there as well but tbh I like using it since they’re topic specific and I’ve used other websites like study mind but they’re not as good. I’m trying to use Brainscape more because it’s good for spaced repetition. I think it’s easier than using anki but maybe it’s just because I gave up trying to figure out how to use it but it’s pretty much the same concept. You rate how well use think you’ve answered the flashcard on a scale of 1-5 then depending on what you’ve scored it, it influences how many times that flashcard comes up again. I procrastinate a lot but the way I manage to get through all the content is thinking about how much I can get done if I actually start and telling myself I’m gonna have to know the content either way so I might as well do work yk. I use this app called flora which helps a lot with not going on my phone especially when I’m revising and I think that’s how i manage to stay focused.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by rxnia
you’re welcome! I’m doing my mocks soon so hopefully the revision I’ve done will pay off. For history I haven’t done a proper exam yet, just essays for homework and small end of topic tests so this will be my first proper exam . I think it all comes down to structure for history icl. The way I’ve made my essay plans is, I’ll go onto save my exams and choose a topic (for example Russia) then I’ll go to each past paper and if I’m making 20 mark essay plans, I’ll go to that question and pick one of the essays to plan. Then I’ll plan out what I’ll write out for each paragraph and do that for each of the past paper question. But with my essay plans I pretty much write out entire essays and then memorise them. Ik it seems long but honestly essay plans and revision notes are what got me through GCSEs so I’m hoping it’ll be the same for a level. When I’m stuck I look at the mark scheme because it’s kinda useful in terms of what you can write and it gives me good ideas especially when I’m writing my counter arguments. For my revision notes, my school make there own booklets so we don’t use text books so I just use the booklet and make revision notes for each lesson. My teacher for Russia has given us some wider reading to do but just as homework. I tend to try and stick to the booklets because when I search stuff up online I’m not sure if it’s that accurate yk.

Thanks for the guide on essay plans, I will definitely use them now!
Sound so helpful ur school uses booklets, shame my school doesn’t do that. I’m gonna try to stick to the textbook thing anyway because it sounds like the internet and extra articles thing isn’t that helpful and it’s taking a lot of time.
Good luck on your mocks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by InnateImpunity
Ngl 13 hour revision sessions in year 12 is crazy. I didn't even do that much in the days leading up to my actual A-levels and got A*s. You really need to pace yourself.

The time is now for super-curriculars because content will ramp up in difficulty in the next year. You could probably get like an A in your year 12 exams and still get away with a predicted A*. And obvs look for work experience and stuff too if you can.

Also, can you use paragraphs, the enormous paragraph is intimidating 😂

That’s encouraging to know I don’t need to do so much revision. How do you memorise and organise so much content in a shorter timeframe tho?
I will def start doing more supercurriculars I’ve done one work experience and I’m arranging another.
I realised the paragraph was crazy after I wrote it 😂 honestly didn’t think of using the enter button.
Reply 10
Original post by rxnia
For biology, I usually mostly revise flashcards and then test my knowledge using pmt questions. My teacher’s are pretty much the same because they use questions from there as well but tbh I like using it since they’re topic specific and I’ve used other websites like study mind but they’re not as good. I’m trying to use Brainscape more because it’s good for spaced repetition. I think it’s easier than using anki but maybe it’s just because I gave up trying to figure out how to use it but it’s pretty much the same concept. You rate how well use think you’ve answered the flashcard on a scale of 1-5 then depending on what you’ve scored it, it influences how many times that flashcard comes up again. I procrastinate a lot but the way I manage to get through all the content is thinking about how much I can get done if I actually start and telling myself I’m gonna have to know the content either way so I might as well do work yk. I use this app called flora which helps a lot with not going on my phone especially when I’m revising and I think that’s how i manage to stay focused.

Brainscape sounds like a rlly good idea, like the idea of the rating system. Plus I will try and use pmt more. I always get confused with the flash card thing on how people condense so much info into flash cards. Any advice on how to do that? I might look up some example bio flash cards or something to try and work out how make them. I usually write out paper revision cards with a lot of info/ long information on them and I can’t ever really use them as flash cards because there’s too much info just to list in my head before turning the card over without any like prompts.

Thanks for the advice on procrastination. I’ve never had a problem with procrastination before but now I’m really struggling with it but I think it’s bc the long revision sessions r making me tired.

Thanks again for the advice it’s rlly helpful.
Reply 11
Original post by Tse78
Thanks for the guide on essay plans, I will definitely use them now!
Sound so helpful ur school uses booklets, shame my school doesn’t do that. I’m gonna try to stick to the textbook thing anyway because it sounds like the internet and extra articles thing isn’t that helpful and it’s taking a lot of time.
Good luck on your mocks :smile:

Thank you sm!
Reply 12
Original post by Tse78
Brainscape sounds like a rlly good idea, like the idea of the rating system. Plus I will try and use pmt more. I always get confused with the flash card thing on how people condense so much info into flash cards. Any advice on how to do that? I might look up some example bio flash cards or something to try and work out how make them. I usually write out paper revision cards with a lot of info/ long information on them and I can’t ever really use them as flash cards because there’s too much info just to list in my head before turning the card over without any like prompts.

Thanks for the advice on procrastination. I’ve never had a problem with procrastination before but now I’m really struggling with it but I think it’s bc the long revision sessions r making me tired.

Thanks again for the advice it’s rlly helpful.

When it comes to making flashcards, i try to condense the information as much as possible and use the spec because it tells you exactly what you need to know. Sometimes when i see pre made flashcards, they have extra information which isn't necessary and icl there's too much to revise already so i don't want to revise unnecessary stuff. For Gcses, i made paper flashcards and at the beginning of the year i made them for cell structure. But when i realised how many cards i was using i switched to online ones because it's way easier and by the end of the year i'd probably have hundreds of flashcards and it just seems overwhelming.
Reply 13
Original post by rxnia
When it comes to making flashcards, i try to condense the information as much as possible and use the spec because it tells you exactly what you need to know. Sometimes when i see pre made flashcards, they have extra information which isn't necessary and icl there's too much to revise already so i don't want to revise unnecessary stuff. For Gcses, i made paper flashcards and at the beginning of the year i made them for cell structure. But when i realised how many cards i was using i switched to online ones because it's way easier and by the end of the year i'd probably have hundreds of flashcards and it just seems overwhelming.

Yes, I will definitely use online flash cards now! Thanks for the advice. I made paper flash cards for gcse and I must have gone through like 500. It is even more overwhelming and messy for a level so I’ll def switch now.
Heyy! Just wanted to chip in for maths and bio
for bio (did it last year and got A*). As said above, I would definitely recommend online flash cards, specifically Anki and after each bio lesson look up the topic on PMT and use Mrs Estruch (life saver!!) I would also say if you can to review your flash cards everyday (even if it’s just one topic) that way all the bio info remains french in your mind and you won’t get overwhelmed trying to revise it all the end of the year. Alongside the flash cards so past paper questions and as you are in year 12 start with old spec (these are also really useful as each paper usually targets specific topics so you can focus on topics you struggle with). There are loads of past paper questions on PMT. So for bio and would say keep it simple with anki and past papers/ questions regularly in manageable amounts.
ALSO PLEASE ONLY REVISE WHAT IS ON THE SPEC unless you’re doing aqa with the essay component (in which you can learn a topic a few weeks before the exam that fits many different essay titles for extra marks - I did cystic fibrosis and would recommend if you are doing the essay)

For maths (got A two marks of A* 😤) I would first do textbook questions (starting easy to get a feel for the topic and skip to harder ones when more confident). I would again recommend doing old spec questions as there are many on PMT and saving most new spec questions for Y13 / closer to exams. If it takes you too long to correct mistakes and I would make a note of the question and come back to it later (sometimes helps to have a fresh mind); ask your peers (I used to ask a friend who did further maths) if they can explain it to you (good practice for them too!); if they can’t, go to the teacher and ask them for help; but please don’t spend hours stressing over it (trust me it doesn’t help).

Sorry for the long dissertation but hopefully some of these tips will be useful 🙂 good luck!!
(edited 2 months ago)
iirc, you don't remember much content revision after half an hour of it, so it's recommended that you take breaks in between! if you take breaks you technically have to do less revision because your brain can remember more :smile: this means that if you're worried about supercurriculars you might have more time!
Original post by Tse78

OMG PLEASE CHILL OUT. You DO NOT need to do that much revision even for A*s. Especially in year 12. Work experience, volunteering, masterclasses, reading around the subject, sports / hobbies / skills that are not academic. FOCUS ON THAT, as a current year 13, I am bad with revision and only do what’s absolutely necessary, never study outside of lessons, would not catch me revising on a weekend in year 12 and I’m predicted AAA (chem, bio, psych) what has pushed my application and got me my offers is the things outside of school I do which have made me a more well rounded person, because at the end of the day, that’s what universities are looking for, particularly top unis, they need to know you can balance a heavy work load and still function. With the amount you’re doing you could literally learn a new language.
Original post by Tse78
That’s encouraging to know I don’t need to do so much revision. How do you memorise and organise so much content in a shorter timeframe tho?
I will def start doing more supercurriculars I’ve done one work experience and I’m arranging another.
I realised the paragraph was crazy after I wrote it 😂 honestly didn’t think of using the enter button.
To be honest, I don't recommend my revision strategy. Memorising and organising so much content in a shorter time frame is called cramming, and is exactly what I do before important exams. This means the information gets stored in my short-term memory, but not my long-term memory.

If I'm getting assessed on the same content in another exam down the line, I will have to cram the same content again to build up that short-term memory once again.

I'm not sure how you're revising, but a few tips:

don't revise topics you're good at (so for maths, you can definitely skip surds or algebraic fractions, and focus on harder topics like differentiation / integration);

avoid brute memorisation of answers for Bio, just try and understand content / processes through textbook reading;

exam practice is obvs the best tip (I did past papers with a friend for a solid month before the exams, which made the actual exam much less scary).

Hope that helps
so like what topic are u on for bio (presuming u do aqa), i've started topic 4 so i just wanna see how far behind i am compared to u since ur revising way more than me
Reply 19
Original post by BelleBinoclarde
Heyy! Just wanted to chip in for maths and bio
for bio (did it last year and got A*). As said above, I would definitely recommend online flash cards, specifically Anki and after each bio lesson look up the topic on PMT and use Mrs Estruch (life saver!!) I would also say if you can to review your flash cards everyday (even if it’s just one topic) that way all the bio info remains french in your mind and you won’t get overwhelmed trying to revise it all the end of the year. Alongside the flash cards so past paper questions and as you are in year 12 start with old spec (these are also really useful as each paper usually targets specific topics so you can focus on topics you struggle with). There are loads of past paper questions on PMT. So for bio and would say keep it simple with anki and past papers/ questions regularly in manageable amounts.
ALSO PLEASE ONLY REVISE WHAT IS ON THE SPEC unless you’re doing aqa with the essay component (in which you can learn a topic a few weeks before the exam that fits many different essay titles for extra marks - I did cystic fibrosis and would recommend if you are doing the essay)

For maths (got A two marks of A* 😤) I would first do textbook questions (starting easy to get a feel for the topic and skip to harder ones when more confident). I would again recommend doing old spec questions as there are many on PMT and saving most new spec questions for Y13 / closer to exams. If it takes you too long to correct mistakes and I would make a note of the question and come back to it later (sometimes helps to have a fresh mind); ask your peers (I used to ask a friend who did further maths) if they can explain it to you (good practice for them too!); if they can’t, go to the teacher and ask them for help; but please don’t spend hours stressing over it (trust me it doesn’t help).

Sorry for the long dissertation but hopefully some of these tips will be useful 🙂 good luck!!
Thank you so much for the advice.
I have started to use online flash cards and they are so much better. Although I haven’t had a chance to test them on a test yet. I will try to review them little and often but I find it a little difficult as my mocks are now 6 weeks away and I still haven’t finished making all my flash cards especially for history.
I never thought of using old spec questions first but I’ll definitely try them now.
I only ever revise what’s on the spec however, when making notes from the textbook it’s sometimes hard to determine what is related as some of its in a weird order.
Thanks for the advice on Essays I will bear that in mind for next year.
I’ve started asking more people about maths and I’m going to use past papers now instead of the textbook bc my exam boards textbook has no solutions and doesn’t show what the marks are for.
Thanks once again sorry for the late reply I had a crazy week.

Quick Reply

Latest